coil noise / people whine.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stevevnicks, Nov 18, 2014.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    and I still say coil noise is not a problem.
    its people whining that's the problem lol sozz j/k

I guess we both agree we disagree heeh

well funny you say that beacuse back in the day of tube tv's yes people bought tv's that had coils that buzz'ed and hummed for years lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    The GEs do whine at like 400fps+ but for regular gaming it isnt that bad. But I can easily say its maybe 4-5C better than regular, you get backplate/no sag.

For me a little coil whine isnt so bad. (My GPUs 2014)
    7950 didnt have it
    770 4GB didnt have it
    780 3GB had some (you could hear it while I streamed on twitch)
    R9 290 kinda had some
    770 2GB had some
    970 GE had some
    970 Gaming (coming this week we'll find out)

Anyway when I say had some they were there at higher fps but during gaming they weren't as bad and I use open back senheissers and my case is right beside me, mind you I also have 6x noctua fans, no harddrive, only SSD and corsair psu fan doesnt kick in till above load... so you can tell how the acoustics are in my rig and if a card is making a noise you'll know :p.

My bro had a XFX 7970 when they first came out and it had a high pitch noise, annoying as hell... but his Sapphire 7970 didnt have any sound to it.

In a sense this is normal, its how the video cards work.. its natural to have it. But if you're spending a lot, id rather have it slight to none vs high pitched that gets to your ears. The loudest thing in my rig is my GPU at the moment so yeah if its annoyingly loud, i would get it replaced. I mean if its a valid reason for them to replace it then why not. If you're the type who will settle for what you have then keep it and enjoy it :p

I wouldn't really get concerned with people 'whining' or complaining over this, I would be more concerned at the people with posts like "yooo guys look at my over clock.. i can do +xxx and +xxx at 1.xx volts, and xxC temps.. is this good? should i keep it?" or those who just return or get it replaced because it didnt overclock high enough. Those are the ones I would be more concerned about lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My 670's and my 780 all have an audible whine at times this is normal however some of the coil whine that a few people experience is not normal and almost constant. These are the cases that require a RMA but I agree with the OP that it is over blown and some consider any coil whine however infrequent to be a defect and that is wrong. It's just like in my line of work. Customers complain about their brakes squealing in the morning just once and claim it's a defect.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    So one should be perfectly content with their video card sounding like a bug-zapper at idle?

Hm, yeah...they ought to be f-ckin greatful the damn thing even works :rolleyes:

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No that is a defect.

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    and it could be a fault elsewhere than the coil that's causing a constant frequency to make the coil\s resonate to an audible level constantly. yes I would agree the card is faulty somewhere in those condtions now that should be obs's to anyone.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Of course I was being sarcastic, but now see the OP understands this in post #8.

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    maybe its to do with the clock generator as the frequency changes (MHz) it could just be that the copper wire used Is in tune with certain frequency's (MHz) that are generated ?
    you know when they measure timeline of frame rates those spikey up and down lines maybe some of those could be at or represent a frequency when the coil\s resonate to an audible level and why the sound of coil is random high pitch noises.
    then again it may have nothing to with it .. like I say im not an expert on the matter.
    but there do seem some people who feel the need to over hype the so called coil whine .. I just don't understand the why use the word whine lol when its obs the person whining lol sorry bad j/k

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I call it call whine because thats what it sounds like lol... and I wouldnt want to be playing with one like this
    http://youtu.be/HP73edpQwgc?t=1m47s

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    no I do agree and have always said if its loud and constant to the point you find it annoying then change it, but it don't mean the card is fecked like some people seem think, due to not understanding why coils ermm whine lol in the first place, that's why I started this post. all bloody coils can erm whine but some people just wont have that and will insist its faulty thus fear mongering or slating brand names for it etc lol

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Oh yeah I know what you mean, but like I said earlier the ones that annoy me more are the ones who return it 'just because' it didn't overclock higher or ask if their overclock is good or if they should get it replaced/exchanged.

12. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

wow thats pretty bad haha. come to think of it, i dont think i have ever heard coil whine on any of my past cards

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't know what TVs you had, but out of probably two dozens of TVs at friends, parents, family, etc. I never had a single one make noises such as my humming 5770s. ;)

14. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea, probs the same type of person that worries about getting the odd coil noise here and there lol

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    great thread btw. :)

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    at the end of the day there is no need to worry if your card has coil noise.. if your card makes this noise all the time and is very annoying to you then get it replaced as nobody would want or even expected you to put up with it all the time, if however while you are gaming and you hear these strange little noises every now and then it is normal you have nothing to worry about it is perfectly normal your spanky new investment will be fine, just enjoy your games and don't let people make you believe your card is rubbish made of obs crap cheap parts like some people will rant on about they dont understand how or why all coils can resonate.

some people could or may think if its really high pitch kind of whistling sounding frequency something is going to pop as sometimes it can almost have like a high pressure kind of sound/ring to it, which if you never had this before could seem a bit alarming at first.

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Lolz, I think most people on this forum actually spend more time listening to their graphics cards in a render test than play games.

Headphones, anyone?

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Mind blown... Keep things polite? Are you serious? :bang: I'm done in this thread. You are officially the first person that goes to my ignore list. I don't have to see your nonsense. I don't even know what you are on about or what point you are trying to make, at least I don't see it. You are contradicting yourself.

I say this again: coils make noises but when they sound like whistling sausage it's not acceptable when gaming. There are also ways to minimise the noise or at least make it sound less annoying to human ear.

Keep up that attitude and I can see a bright future for you here. /sarcasm

Where do these come from...

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I don't mind fella

just saying all coils resonate its people that whine and your sounding like one of them I said if its annoying then change it too but your like NO its faulty if it makes a noise which is not always the case. all to easy to blame bad design. but gigabyte, asus, msi all make bad design just because you say.. nah.

it probs people like you who cause people with no understanding of coil noise to believe there is a bad problem or brands of cards fault blah blah blah
    like I say I don't mind if you block me its not going to effect my life now is it?
    I do admit though I should not of put total rubbish lol prob because all I was trying to do was explain why coils can make noise but the die hard coil whiners just wont have it ....

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    OP seriously bugger off with your drivel!

/end.