SK Hynix 8GHz 3D stackable GDDR5 memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hynix started shipping its 3D stackable HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory) GDDR5 memory, stacked means more memory cells per IC. The chips have a capacity of 4Gb and are clocked at 8 Gbps. According to some,...

SK Hynix 8GHz 3D stackable GDDR5 memory

2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Im very excited to see what AMD brings to the table this time around. Would like to see this used as edram for the apus one day too would kick a$$ if they could stick 1 4gb chip merged in the die.

3. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    does this mean this time next year the new GPUs will come with hideous amounts of Vram?

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I'm very interested 3D VRAM GDDR5 with HBM!! :D But... I'm congrats to AMD-ATi. :) 4096-bit bus!?!! :eek2: :D
    GTX 980/970 have the bit too low bandwidth memory because currently NVIDIA hasn't said 3D VRAM! :confused: :thumbdown

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm curious: 4096bit BUS, does it mean internal bus, as in G-RAM to GPU, or does it mean this thing could service a 4096bit BUS over PCIe?
    I'd want to know how that works out in regard of PCIe lanes, maybe this card will be the first to really gain something above 8 lanes PCIe 3.0 ( =16 lanes PCIe 2.0).
    Anybody got a clue or guess?

7. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    Presumably Nvidia will not benefit from this technology any time soon as Amd partnered with Hynix. When Nvidia develops any form of advancement for their GPU's they do not share the technology with Amd and I think Amd should let Nvidia suffer the same now.
    If amd holds the exclusive for this technology it will leave Nvidia playing Catch up for a while.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    PASCAL is already slated to use 3D stacked RAM. So yeah.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its a 3d stack thing, each 1gb stack has 1024bit bus x4 = 4096bit bus and 4gb vram, also each stack has 128gb/s bandwidth x4 = ~512gb/s+

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If those 512 gb/s mean gigabit/second, that should be less than e.g. a single PCIe 3.0 lane with over 7 terrabits/s? Or am I making a fool off myself? :bonk:

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No it is Gigabytes/s ;)

In one leak it said up to 640gb/s

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow, that still beats 15+ GB/s (PCIe 3.0 x16, if wikipedia is right).

13. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    All I am going to say...

All I am going to say is read number 7 on the list of this website. "http://streamcomputing.eu/blog/2014-08-05/7-things-nvidia-doesnt-want-know/"

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

7 things NVIDIA doesn’t want you to know

2. Profit per GPU is huge

Nice.
    Truly a cuckoo blog :)

15. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    Yeah obviously a cuckoo blog lol... not!

For a moment there I thought I had a reply from Denial after reading number 7 on the blog I posted but guess not lol

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    shhh... Profit per GPU is huge... don't ask don't tell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuZBqicI-I8

17. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
  18. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Nvidia will see it earlier than you think. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What does number 7 on the blog you posted have anything to do with what I said about 3D stacked ram? You mean number 6?

This blog is garbage. His first point is wrong, he even admits he's wrong. The rest are obvious "per profit GPU is huge" geewiz, who would have thought that a company who spends the majority of it's revenue on R&D is going to have huge profit margins on it's products. AMD & Hynix created 3D stacked memory? Really? 3D packaging has been around for at least a decade, it was outlined in my digital signals class at RIT in 2007. Samsung already produces 3D DD4 modules. Yeah maybe both companies worked together to finalize the HBM standard. But wtf does that have to do with Nvidia? Should everytime AMD/Nvidia use OpenCL they mention Apple as they were one the the biggest contributors?

And even point 7 is wrong and dumb and the author is an idiot. They outlined virtual unified address space in 2011.

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc-express/2011/presentations/cuda_webinars_GPUDirect_uva.pdf

God forbid they left out a word in a slide and he cried a river about it.

Like look I hate propriety tech as much as anyone else. I also hate Nvidia's marketing department. That being said advocating for AMD to do exactly what Nvidia is not only hypocritical but its' a bull**** way to produce a standard.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  20. Ukdude21

Ukdude21 Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 4GB
    Wow calm down... what a lengthy reply -.- Insulting the author of that blog is not necessary. Yes you are right on certain things e.g. I do hate propriety tech and I hate how NVidia operates in terms of marketing. How will NVidia learn? if they have access to all or any tech Amd develops which you have a refuted about 3d stack memory... Up until now NVidia would not of wanted any tech that Amd specifically had anything to do with.
    Sometimes the best medicine is your own and that is why I was advocating Amd to practice the same methods as Nvidia.
    It is obvious though that Amd has been collaborating very closely with Hynix in regards to developing this tech.
    Hugh profits hurts the consumer wallet I think that is why that is mentioned...
    Sorry your right point 6 on that blog... I wonder what 3d stacked memory will be used by NVidia? Hynix I honestly don't know but I am interested.