Far Cry 4 - Day-One PC Updates Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    According to the changelogs, there will be two patches (the second patch may be released after the game's launch). Far Cry 4 releases next week, and you can view the complete changelogs of these two ...

Far Cry 4 - Day-One PC Updates Revealed

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I know this will be a pretty far out radical idea... but hear me out.

Why not finish the game, before releasing it?

*it's a joke*

OR IS IT?

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Day One PC updates.. this is becoming a trend already, wtf are people doing lol? Can't they release these things in an orderly and timely fashion, with proper updates/releases? ..

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its an Easter Egg:D Theres more too:
    • Started unfinished game = 120 Uplay points
    • Crash to Desktop and progress lost = 50 Uplay points
    • Unlock Multi-gpu support - Included in Season Pass - $30

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

5. DeAnt28790

DeAnt28790 Member

GPU:
    I'm not going to defend developers. I hate this as much as the next person. But the way I understand it its developers trying to shorten the gap between release and games going gold.
    What I have a problem with is these steam games where you buy the discs because you don't want to download the game, yet after install you still need to download half the game. Arkham Origins i had to download 10GB out of 18GB. Do you know how long that takes on a 2Mbps line that gets throttled?

6. 3Dghost

3Dghost Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    Let the beta test begin.

7. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    Where are the demos from the start of the century? Hm ..? How about downloading a pirate copy and if you really like it, then buy at a Steam sale a few years later + patches.

8. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Stop pre-order and buying games on release date.

Why not just stop pre-order games and stop download them if they are not fully functional. Then we will force the game companies to make games that are worth spending time on. The only thing a company understands is money, so as long as people give them money your voice will never be heard. I for one have stop pre-ordering games and will never buy a game on the release date until some reviewer have confirmed that it is without bugs that ruin the games experience.

9. lanelor

lanelor Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Stryx
    Why not "tasting" the game first? I agree that it may not be ethical, but how many reviews will tell about the problems of a game? There are many games which are shown in positive light, while the problems are omitted. So, let me see what you have, in details, and then ask about 60 EU, gold, plat ed .. and so on.

10. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I see what you did there ... :infinity:

11. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    its all because of piracy years ago you could just buy a game disc with game on no DRM nothing play the game lend it to your freind , but now its all about money and multi million game budgets they want money back and profit so they have DRM so you cant share games and do things to try stop piracy but i u have slow internet its very very annoying to pay money for discs then have download half the game, im same as you slow internt so i understand ur point , and with games getting average 40GB downloads its getting stupid

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i totaly agree with you about the lack of demo...

btw AC Unite start to be in "not so legal" version on the net and some even correct bug and optimisation missed in the original, and even now that the official patch still not aviable...

Come on UBIsoft, don't tell me that pirate are better than your so expensive studio? .... yes? lol

Sadly i feel like FC4 will be as buged as ACU.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have a feeling Hilbert will do some FC4 benchmarks and that we will see them soon.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yeah, they don't care.

If developers had their way, all games would be download only and the portal to download the game would be time-limited, with additional charges should you (god forbid) want to play the game longer than 1 hour per day.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, annoys developers more than Internet Service Providers because they have the power to charge people for something which costs nothing.

There is NO CHARGE for the internet. They fact we have to pay someone for it is a joke. It's invented. Devs know it and they hate it, so to piss everyone off they release a game on a BD and then get you to download 40GB of useless, poorly optimized rubbish which doesn't do anything useful.

Back in the days of 3.5in diskettes, if a game had lots of disks it was a selling point - now, if the game has 1,000,000 TB download, it must be frickin' good.

/quadruple facepalm with feet and hands.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Just because the Internet already been invented doesn't mean it should be free, while ISP's make a nice profit selling it it's not like they don't have a huge amount of outgoings providing it.

Game sizes aren't that big these days when 10 years ago a dual layer DVD was the norm.

16. s31sm1c

s31sm1c Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 OC
    Software development is not that simple. As you add more processes to manage releases, you make it harder (or at times even impossible) to "squeeze" in a fix. This is due to the fact that you have different teams doing different things situated in different locations. As a result, release management becomes a nightmare and a way to overcome limitations in the process is to release day one fixes. The reason for this is that patches or emergency fixes generally have a different development process than a release candidate (the term "patch" or "emergency" is what allows a team to circumvent normal development practices).

So rather look at day one fixes as a way for development shops to workaround strict development processes.

NB. Day-one fixes/patches is not the same as day-one DLC, which I believe is utter rubbish!

17. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    ubisoft main focus is as much money as possible on day one if they release buggy pc games with bad multi gpu performance they dont seem care about it all there newish pc games require mulitple patches after release and how much money Nvidia pay ubisoft to use gameworks in there games i dont know but it must be a lot of money coz ubisoft soon came out and blamed AMD for poor pc performance to keep NVidia happy

18. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I used to stop buying games at release for consoles and always bought them secondhand but now there is an issue even doing that because by time you got your hands on the second hand game there is normaly map paks that have been released, then you have to buy them because not many people play the old maps etc you know stuff like that.. but best advise is to not pre order or accept a game that is not fully working as it was advertised like features missing or not working etc.

this way of selling game seems like paid beta testing

also why should you have to download an update on first day of release? surely they can just update the final product before they release it ? or am I reading that wrong lol?

19. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Uhh all this hate towards developers, I think you guys might want to change that to publishers.
    Also you can't wait till the very last day of a deadline to actually release your game, there is a cut-off point where you have to start dealing with distribution; a "day one" patch is basically work that's been done after that point.

20. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Now that I added the FarCry Franchise pack to my Steam library, I can wait for a sale on FC4.

That being said. I would rather have Day 1 patches then have to wait for a while after the release for those same fixes to become available.

Why complain about Day 1 patches? It means that the Devs are still working on it even after it has been sent to the publishers. I would rather that then have them take a break and wait to find out what bugs people complain about on release day.

You also have to take into account that modern games have a lot more complicated code than games of the past.