People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Every pre-Android 5 phone suffers from "lag" due to apps being compiled at runtime. There's no way for any pre-Android 5 phone to avoid it, because it's how the OS works. Lag within the UI itself is from poor coding, which Samsung is notorious for.

Even with a considerably slower processor, the perceived performance of my 635 is comparable to my N5. The UI is extremely "smooth" on both. App launch time is comparable. The Lumia 635 was $168USD vs $350USD for the N5.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you want a very small & light phone with good spec and long battery then Z3 compact. Plus it has confirmed lolipop 5.0 update also means it has native 64bit cpu in it..

I see all that that now, before I had some oldschool nokia a206 with 114mm and after I got 142mm 5" andorid it was just too much, barely fit it in jeans pocket..

Imo 4.5 - 4.7" max even that is borderline, anything over 130mm is or it almost needs a special case or bag >_> lol

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My wife just got upgraded from my N4 to my N5. I was going to put Ubuntu Touch on my N4, but the only instructions I can find that actually make any sense require Ubuntu 14.04 to be installed on a PC first.

I agree with the screen size opinions, to an extent. I'm really not as much concerned with the size of the screen as I am the physical size of the phone. Weight is also a concern for me since I wear cargo pants for work and tend to put my phone in the "cargo pocket"...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The problem with the Lumia was that it did have those loading texts when switching back to apps from time to time. Sometimes going back to home screen lagged a bit too. Starting an app isn't instant either. Though this has 3x more ram and way faster cpu... It does make massive difference in web browsing. Ie11 used to crash a lot.

Samsung's lagwitz on Galaxy S was something else....

Z3 & Z3 Compact have Snapdragon 801 SoC which is 32-bit. Lollipop doesn't require 64-bit CPU.

For me the absolute maximum height should be less than 14cm and width <7cm. It's easier to use this Honor 6 than the Lumia 920 because this is way lighter (129g), way slimmer, tiny bit narrower but bit taller. Also the edges are rounded which makes it easier to use one handed.

My mother has Z3 Compact and visually Honor 6 is really, really close to it. The design is quite similar. What's funny is that the camera on Z3 Compact doesn't actually have the advantage... and the led flash is rather weak. At the moment it's definitely overpriced but I'm pretty sure the price will drop soonish.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its still compact enough, i wouldnt get anything else at this point, that Honor looks too big, 1cm is 1cm.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 635 only displays the "loading" text when opening apps that use my data plan after the phone has been restarted or the apps haven't been used for several hours.

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Hey Guys. So its been a while. So please do tell

Should i get the new Nexus 6 or the Sony Xperia Z3. I am still on my old trusty S3 lol xD.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'd say the Xperia Z3 due it's better build quality and better looks.

Apart from that, both phones are quite similar.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i found this comment useful

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    720p display mode is interesting in this Honor 6. By the looks of it it will make the battery life even longer. The difference isn't that big in terms of image quality. Sure, there is difference in small text but it that for some it could be worth it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

11. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
  12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Z4, lol, the Z3 only recently came out. :D

Late last year, I bought the Xperia Z Ultra. It cost $762 when it was first released.

Yesterday, a year after, the phone is now selling for $300 brand spanking new.

When I saw the ad I was like :bang: and face palm.

Of course this is normal but such a huge decrease in price. I paid so much simply because it was bought when launched.

Interestingly, the link you posted also mentions the Z4 Ultra. That's great news and I hope they release it.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well Z3 compact is just to pricy.. Won't risk getting a 2year contract and paying 12x 37€ just for this phone.

Lumia 830 looks perfect, but the size dayum, really wish it was max 4.5 - 4.7", kinda like Lumia 1020 - 130mm size is ideal :)

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    But the width is not. I can tolerate tiny bit longer phone as long as it stays below 14cm but width must be less than 7cm (especially if it's thick device which makes it feel even wider).

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I've owned a Nexus 6, Note 4 and a One Plus One in the last month, plus my current Nexus 5. The One Plus is by far the best out of all of them. I sold it because at the time I thought I wanted the Note but after spending time with touchwiz, I just can't be bothered.

I find the Nexus 6 to be terrible, first two days I barely got 3 hours SOT and I didn't even have an account sync'd to it. By comparison the Note 4, even with all the bloat, gets about 6, the One plus is even better at 7ish. The screen on the N6 was also pretty awful, the colors were too warm, the bottom 1/5th of my screen was significantly brighter than the rest of the screen and the rest had random uniformity issues. It didn't get very bright and the color shifting was terrible. The speakers were nice and it performed well, but overall I wasn't impressed at all.

The Note 4 screen was significantly better. It was much brighter, had better color reproduction (with options to make it more saturated if you want) significantly better uniformity and had far less shifting. Purple casts still exist though and the screen still burns in (all AMOLED do eventually) but multiple ones I saw on display at the store had burn-in. The software is terrible though, I flashed a build of CM12 on the device and it ran perfectly (performance wise, feature wise it essentially breaks the phone) stock touchwiz is garbage. There is massive frame dropping on nearly every animation on the device. The interface itself is ugly and has a terrible color scheme. The stock launcher is trash. The camera, while decent, has some type of sharpening effect that makes some pictures look good and others look terrible (hopefully camera api fixes OEM issues like this in 5.0) The GPS on this phone also sucks. I had a trip to NY last weekend and half way through I stopped using the Note to navigate and switched back to my N5. It constantly lost the direction I was traveling and took forever to update. Couple that with the animation lagging and dropped frames and whatnot and the experience was just terrible. Even hangouts lags on the phone. Yet like I said, running CM12 on it, all the animation issues vanished -- so the 805 is definitely able to keep up but touchwiz bloat or something samsung is doing for battery life is preventing it.

The one plus one is interesting. At half the price of the other two phones I definitely feel like they'd have to take some shortcuts in quality -- and yet the device is probably the most well designed out of all of them. The back material is ****ing incredible and more devices need it. It's easier to hold in one hand than both the N6 and the Note 4 although it sacrifices some screen size to do this. The build of CM on it was extremely responsive, even for KK. The camera starts up near instantly and it can snap photos pretty god damn quick. (The Note 4 has a burst option but the pictures are always blurry). The speakers are nice and loud but fire from the button (not as nice as the N6, but still very good). The screen is an LCD, thus less saturated and not as good contrast wise, but it's very bright. It also seems very well balanced and I didn't have any uniformity problems.

Overall I prefer the one plus. I know there are issues with support and the company but if you get a good one then I think it's worth it -- especially for the price.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Honestly, these days you can get awesome phones that are way cheaper that what those big manufacturers offer. I don't regret buying Honor 6 at all. No lag and I only need to recharge it twice per week. Battery life wise this was massive improvement to Lumia 920, at least 2x improvement. AFAIK camera is the same as in One Plus One.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  17. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I just ordered the Droid Turbo. I'm not huge on phones but my current is an HTC Rezound which I've had for a few years and was my first smart phone.

The Turbo seems like an all around good package due to size, hardware, and the Motorola features added to a near-stock Android ROM. I know it's Verizon only, so that's lame and could potentially rule out as much custom ROM support, but I'm just looking for a phone to make my life simple these days. I've flashed a million ROMs to my Rezound and never found one that was 100% stable. Still better than leaving the super old HTC Android version on there though.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Turbo is pretty good stock though.

19. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    It seems hard to go wrong. That ballistic nylon looks pretty slick too.

I'm just concerned about the audio jack quality; I've heard it is not the greatest. I also heard the screen brightness at full blast can still be hard to see in sunlight. I'm guessing these are more or less nit-picky cons from phone extremists.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not gonna lie, I don't think I've ever seen a phone that you can comfortably use in the sunlight. I told people this when I sold them, and considering I'm the phone support for my district now I still tell them this no matter the device. Don't expect to use it in the sun decently.