AMD Catalyst 14.11.1 BETA (14.301.0.0 November 5)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The Mac, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Leito360

Leito360 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 Nitro+
    Does the not-waking up issue still exists in these drivers?

2. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Personally i'm not using sleep mode in every day use, once, accidentally i had sleepmode not disabled and when my computer entered into it i had no problem with waking it up.

I wonder if anyone who faces this wake-up problem tried to reinstall windows or are you guys just shuffling various driver versions and using ddu? Sometimes even ddu is not enough and complete reinstall of os might be solution to some stupid problems. Anyone who had this problem and reinstalled os, do you still have this problem?

You all people put too much trust into DDU which even Wagnard himself doesn't fully trust.

3. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    spectatorx

This issue is very real. At least from the mobility reports that I have been getting.

It affects some people it seems .. some are not affected.

However whilst I know for certain which models suffer from this when it comes to laptops I have no idea if I can crossreference my database to desktop models.

And it isn't driver mixes... at least not in the mobility sense. It always comes down to AMD messing up.

4. Leito360

Leito360 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX480 Nitro+
    I'm not reinstalling Windows because of a driver issue, that's nuts. I don't use DDU, I don't even uninstall the drivers, I just install them over, like some of the dev team does (If it's good for them, sure it's good for me), I've been having the sleep bug issue since 14.9.2 (I didn't try neither 14.9 WHQL or the beta previous to 9.2) prior to them I'd 14.4 and until that time, I'd no issues with waking up my monitor (Not computer) from sleep.

Maybe I'll install these over and see what happens, since I'm not planning playing COD; BF or AC I shouldn't be affected that much in performance I think.

5. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    If i'm having any issue with any software (driver, game, program, etc) i'm trying all possible fixes and reinstalling os is the last one i'm trying. If this fails then i'm 100% sure what is the real problem. I just like to have my problems solved.

About driver installation... yes, i'm installing drivers on top of previous drivers, in very, very rare cases i'm uninstalling previous drivers first and then installing new ones. In case of 14.11.1 i was upgrading from 14.9.2, installer said gpu driver in 14.11.1 is not newer than 14.9.2 so i closed installer, went into device manager, uninstalled gpu, refreshed devices list so gpu was detected by os and started again installer of 14.11.1 and installation went totally fine.

About mobility gpus... fck notebooks, that's all i can say. Do you want to game? Buy decent desktop pc, laptop should be only a tool and as a tool laptop with just intel or amd integrated gpu should be enough. Serious gaming is on desktops only, professional graphics design is on professional gpus in workstations. You should know what you want to do and choose your hardware wisely, "gaming" on notebook... is not in any way wise, is foolish and shows that you ate too much marketing bullcrap.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  6. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Generally people that use laptops do more than just game. Desktops having a smaller marketshare these days just reflects reality.

Professional GPUs in workstations? You are thinking of wonderland.

The Probook which goes for 3-4k a pop has the same issues with AMDs "solutions".

There is simply no excuse.

We mod these drivers not to play the newest games but to have compatibility with current OSes and to make use of the most basic AMD features that are supposed to work.

If AMD cannot get the most BASIC issues sorted such as Standby .. then it just goes to show how much they care.

It does not get any simpler than this.

Now if we want to address the consumer market than there is much more to tell.

There is also a reason why AMD has gone from biggest marketshare on mobility devices to literally picking up the pieces ... hint not because of inferior hardware but because of their inferior software implementation.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  7. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    actually, according ot the latest surveys, desktops are gaining ground again.

8. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    People are tired of poor quality of consoles, disappointed with next-gen marketing lie and are choosing superior platform offering ultimate quality - proper desktop PCs offering enough performance to render quality they expect and which is far beyond capabilities of "next-gen" consoles.

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I trust my DDU. Not sure when I said I didn't trust myself ;p
    And especially now it is really stable and is not known to break systems.

And also DDU won't fix problems with the o.s. It just remove drivers and it's related stuff. If there is corruption on your system DDU won't help with that.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Reinstalled Windows too many times to count since I first started experiencing the issue (I'd say 20+ times; I've had this issue for months); it doesn't help.

I've had different GPUs, and different monitors. Still happened.

11. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Just fyi, groups of nvidia users from other forums are making accounts here and absolutely ruining any AMD discussion. Hillbert you need to take action.

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I haven't noticed any more trolling than usual.

which threads?

13. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    - did the usual DDU (cheers, Wagnard!!)
    - everything went fine on the install

- so far, excellent driver - best one in ages
    - running flawlessly, via these 7870's in crossfire

- played some FarCry3 last night, t'was brilliant - flowed beautifully..
    - Office2007, IE11, Corel stuff, YouTube, all running great..

- no problems whatsoever..
    - cheers to AMD, and well done..!! :thumbup:

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Seemed higher-than-usual in this thread, but I haven't really observed the last few driver release threads too closely.

Is this speculation or is there a place where this is actively being discussed?

Judging from this thread alone, it wouldn't really surprise me; but if this is really going on, that's pretty sad.

15. jsolo

jsolo Guest

GPU:
    @work:6770,7770,260X
    I'm guessing he means people like me.

I'm not trolling, I look after an environment that has close to 800 machines with AMD graphics cards deployed. I come to these threads looking for a driver release that works across all our deployed models(5670,6670,7750,260X). I don't care about game performance, I need a driver that is stable doing basic things under Windows. Every month I see AMD doesn't publicly own up to the monitor wake from standby issues, and refuses to recall the 260X cards(if you don't believe these should be recalled then go look at the 260X VBIOS thread where people are trying hacked BIOS's in an effort to get their cards stable). In our case after suffering a year of unstable systems, waiting patiently for a driver release to fix them, we've given up and switched brands, but I will have a tail of several years of supporting AMD cards here, so I will keep coming to these threads.

Some people have suggested this beta is a trial to see how the public reacts to them dropping 5000/6000 series support early. If that's the case, then we need to jump up and down and say this is unnacceptable, patience and calm words of reason is unfortunately not what grimy big businesses listen to...

Generally after someone posts irate over ongoing issues someone will chime in and talk about their own anecdotal evidence of several years, and say it must be messed up Windows installs that have seen too many broken driver installs, or bad power supplies or whatnot. There are several real and serious issues that we have encountered that aren't one-offs, that are ongoing and unresolved, there's a certain point where you just start to get angry at having been taken for a ride. Every company has issues and stuffups from time to time, but the question is how swiftly they deal with them. Intel had motherboard chipsets with USB issues that it addressed IIRC via BIOS and driver updates within a couple of months. NVIDIA has a driver release that screwed with fans and cooked cards, again, a one-off that was resolved. I have 2 open major issues that I no longer hold any faith in being resolved here. Unfortunately I'll have to keep coming back and looking at incomplete release notes and then reading through threads because of the bad faith with which they are dealing with these two problems.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

16. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
  17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Sorry to hear how much you are struggling with drivers.
    But, if your position is true, then you don't need nor have to update the drivers on those 800 machines.
    Just keep one that works as you intend it to work AND NEVER update to betas.
    It's THAT simple.

18. jsolo

jsolo Guest

GPU:
    @work:6770,7770,260X
    I've been aware for a long time that AMD drop support for cards much earlier than NVIDIA. Not like this current 5000/6000 dropping debacle, but say, only supporting cards for 5-6 years. Also I buy consumer cards, so availability of a model of card is limited to 1 to 1.5 years. So every generation of new computer, I buy a new generation of card. This in the past has usually meant suffering for 3 to 5 months for a good driver that works on the new card. In the case of the 260X, we never found a perfectly problem free driver(best case is the card stuffing up in some fashion maybe once or twice per month). So the desire to have a single driver cooked into images, but new enough that it supports the 260X, drove me to every month trying the latest attempts at working drivers. We've now at great cost decided to write off the 260X, but I still get issues on older generation cards like the HD7750/HD6670(monitor wake from sleep bug, occasional probably Flash related bluescreens). I'm at the point where I don't really know which driver to use, and the fact that AMD's release notes don't admit to all known bugs that they acknowledge elsewhere(like on forums), I don't really know which to pick. I've learnt long ago that QA is bad enough that the idea that an AMD public/WHQL is necessarily more stable than a beta is very far from a golden rule(some of the better drivers for the 260X were the 14.1 betas IIRC).

I work using "fat" images here, all our software cooked in, with the exception of commonly updated and commonly exploited things like Adobe Reader, Java and Flash being deployed as the latest versions from our WSUS server. This means I'm not touching many machines every month, but I always have an at most 2 month old image ready to deploy to machines that I might be upgrading to SSDs, re-imaging due to drive failure, cyclic re-imaging of labs(twice a year for student labs, lucky to manage once a year for experimental testing labs) etc.

Pre-empting the people who will then question me why I am running low to mid-range graphics cards in a work environment, we have people who use applications like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, experiment applications designed to measure response times that write directly to the screen, programs that use OpenLG to render 3D images of brains from scans, have run driving simulators, and a bunch of other things. The AMD drivers never fail on us under load, in the case of the 260X they would most frequently fail while people are editing a document in Word(presumably when the card downclocks to a power saving state). It's made troubleshooting and testing drivers a nightmare, as I can't precipitate a failure, I've been forced to use my users as guineau pigs for new versions.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  19. jmcc

jmcc Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12GB
    I installed your modified version and Catalyst Control Center does not open anymore. It does not run at system start and when i go to installed dir and click CCC.exe nothing happens.

20. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Those drivers have massive problem for me, Clocks of the GPU stay at highest when IDLE for me, after playing or watching movies that use GPU HW decoding, or even browsing on web
    Only way to revert it is restart PC.