EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX has misaligned GPU vs heatpipes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Cant get into specifics, but the network name was "Precision x 15 is 100% evga made". Who else could it be?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That just means it "could" from evga server employee or it "could" be die hard evga fan. hardly proof positive in my eyes

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Lol get outta here.

Boy you sure dont get sarcasm do you.

4. Prowler_1

Prowler_1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA has definitely dropped the ball in regards of external ACX styling..
    i prefer the older classic smooth look without that ugly blue sticker & triangular out of place shape!

hope ACX 2.0 go back to being smooth & clean.
    but i think ill look @ MSI & ASUS again after keeping my eye on EVGA.

5. Epikas

Epikas Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/MSI GTX 970
    Just a FYI but EVGA has updated the bios to include a zero fan speed profile. Fan doesn't seem to spin until around 65C. Even at max fan speeds, they are rather quite. As for backplate, the newer batches have been rumored to ship with backplate. The earlier shipments did not come with backplate to satisfy the demand of the cards. Evga is having a promotion on their website in which if you register your card, they will send you a backplate for your gtx 9xx series card.

I was originally going to purchase an MSI unit but they were not in Stock and I would have to wait almost a month and a half if I wanted it.
    Due to my impatience, I went with the EVGA unit.
    While many of you may complain about the heat pipe design, the two main pipes making direct contact is indeed Intentional. Yes they could have engineered it better so all 3 pipes could be touching, but that would require further development and cost.
    Where I live, the EVGA unit goes for $379.99. Well below its competitors such as MSI($429.99), Asus ($449.99), and Gigabyte ($449.99).
    The EVGA is almost 100$ cheaper than its competitors and I because of that, I can justify the slightly inferior cooling.

Back to the heat pipes. I am going to slightly reiterate the EVGA representee.
    The two main big heat pipes are intentionally there to maximize heat transfer with as little interference as possible. In order to add a 3rd heatpipe, the pipes would have to be reduced in diameter, reducing the transfer heat of each individual heatpipe. While more heatpipe may seem like a good option, that is not always the case. More pipes would be more material to use, which would mean more money for manufacturing. Back to the pricing, to keep the gpu at a reasonable price point, evga had to cut some corners and I believe they did a reasonable job.
    Despite these cuts, the card and cooler both work perfectly fine in my experience. I have managed to get it to boost up to 1505 mhz while reaching a maximum temperature of 75C. This is with fan speeds at 36%.

I feel like people are just bashing on EVGA for the sake of what others are doing. Someone had to jump out of the bandwagon, so I tried to take a formal, unbiased approach to this problem.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Silent card over cool one? Too bad, I prefer my card cool and case silent.
    Idle temp of 36C. And accelero does not produce much of noise till like 75% of max rpm anyway.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    First post for a month and a half in a pretty dead story.

Sure, super unbiased, i'm certain that EVGA had no say in your post either.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    lol.. just.. pathetic

10. Epikas

Epikas Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/MSI GTX 970
    I realized that I have attempted to revive a dead thread but this issue just ticked me off more than usual. I have both MSI and EVGA cards and I just don't see what the bashing on the EVGA cards are. Yes I prefer the MSI one for its superior power design and cooling, but there is no reason to hate on the EVGA for their budget cooling system.

They spent less on R&D and so they sell a product that's cheaper than their competition.

11. Epikas

Epikas Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/MSI GTX 970
    I don't see what is pathetic from your post. May I have some information as to what you find pathetic?

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Really???????
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

At least the MSI one is not a reused 760 PCB.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not really sure a 350$ GPU is a budget card that should go with budget cooling.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    What people are pointing out is that EVGA cheeped out on their hardware for the gtx 970 and it deserves some bashing and criticism.

15. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    It's not only EVGA who tries to bend buyers over with poor quality, poor QA, bad products in general...which is SURPRISING seeing that graphics cards have tremendously gone up in price when you compare it to say, 10 years ago. (Top of the line card today €550-€600, next ones below €350 ish). Those are NOT price-regions where one would expect crap quality and poor QA. We're talking good money here.

Another good example is this abomination of an MSI GTX 970 (non "Gaming" version) which came out basically already borderline running at TDP, with a dinky and tiny cheap heatsink with 2 tiny copper pipes. A card which throttled down the minute you put some load on it, sometimes even BELOW stock (non-boost) speed, under 1000 core clock. (They called it "military grade" ...) I can see this "excusable" with a budget card you pay $150 or $200, but I am talking about hardware which goes for €320 and more.

We get bent over left and right by those companies today.

16. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    No more evga products for me...

I used to have gtx 580 sli, one from evga and one from gigabyte. without any overclocking whatsoever, the evga card died within 2 years while the gigabyte is still going strong

shame on you evga:puke2:

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    This is true. Either way Guru3D and EVGA are enemies, both sides will try to slam each other now. It's a shame.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Cards do die Sometimes. My galaxy 580 is out of warranty but living my evga 580 still going has a lifetime warranty. I buy evga for the warranty.

19. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    While that sounded good, unfortunately this has nothing to do with freedom of the press or the 1st amendment. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press as detailed in the bill of rights pertain to protecting an individual's and the press's right to speak freely and openly without having to fear retribution from the Government. In fact, all the protections in the bill of rights are meant to tie the hands of government and keep it out of our lives.

And don't ever forget that the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to ensure the government will never be able to take away the 1st. When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

oh... and getting back on topic. People should keep in mind that there are no legal protections for those committing slander or libel. So those of you who are going to throw accusations at EVGA, you'd better be able back them up.

20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Good necro bruh. It was a **** product and apparently there's a new one with a fan designed for the 900 series now, so hurrah, EVGA fanboys you can keep sucking on their teat