AMD Catalyst 14.11.1 BETA (14.301.0.0 November 5)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The Mac, Nov 10, 2014.

1. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Content removed because trolling and insulting other users is tolerated for some people in this forum. I do not stay in places where such behaviour is tolerated and everything I did in such places is removed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
  3. el_arantis

el_arantis Guest

GPU:
    Radeon™ RX 5700 XT
  4. Makurth

Makurth Member

GPU:
    GALAX - GTX 970 EXOC

5. djsebfr

djsebfr Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 950
    Hi, is it normal with my setup, i ve got in "Civilization Beyond earth" less FPS , with Mantle mode, than with dx11 mode ? oO>

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    thats not normal, even on GCN 1.0

did you use DDU?

7. NotMe

NotMe Guest

GPU:
    HD 7990 @ 1000/1500
    Nice, then I can go ahead and install these. Not fun having my 7990 ****ting in it's pants because of bad drivers. Still on 14.8 as all the newer ones got me random crashes.

8. Kipsofthemud

Kipsofthemud Guest

GPU:
    2x R9 290
    I registered just to say that AC:U now runs buttery smooth with no glitches (so far) on my system (2x r9 290, 4770k @ 4,6 GHz) With the 14.9.2 it was crap. Seems like AMD finally has it's *stuff* together on launchday of a big game :)

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just bought a 290x and left the green team.

I've had:
    ti4200, 9800 Pro, x1800, x1950xt, 7800gtx, 8800gt, gtx 260, sli x2 460's, gtx 570, gtx 760 and now an r 290x.

Been with nvidia quite a while, not out of any hatred for amd, I just always went that way when I went to buy a card.

I will say nvidia is very tenacious as far as features and working with developers. Their drivers are more frequently released. But I can't say the drivers were great, even if released more often. Quality, not quantity is what matters.

I bought the current card because amd slashed prices and I almost went strictly to console gaming but seeing a high-end msi 290x for $350 plus a $30 rebate...I figured I'd stick around a little longer and see what happens.

Here's the thing I've found with nvidia though. They make features for their cards, game works and all those snazzy names they create for better hair, rounder heads, whatever. All those small difference tend to come at a huge performance price with bugs. Unless you're going to grab at least 2, gtx 970's don't think these new features are going to run on a upcoming gtx 960 or an old gtx 770.

I don't know enough about amd these days to speak on their behalf. But...it's like when I hear people bitch about ups vs. fed ex. Does one suck? Sure. But the other isn't doing anything better, you just haven't experienced their flaws yet.

10. Woodman

Woodman Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6970
    Amd

I would have to agree with you. They both have their perks. Personally, I prefer AMD software versus Nvidia. Catalyst has it's strengths ie....... monitor profiles, crossfire that can be enabled/disabled with all monitor combinations and strength of drivers. I actually had more glitches with Nvidia drivers.

BF4 has terrible netcode and I believe that they are at fault with the Mantle memory leak. The peeps looking to make the switch will find that the grass is not always greener on the other side

11. Cold_Burn

Cold_Burn Guest

GPU:
    CF Sapphire 2x6870 1GB
    SerotoNiN, thanks for the unbiased opinion.

I've been jumping between brands as well. Price/performance it's always what matters for me.

12. mux

mux Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Wrong.

13. headapohl

headapohl Member

GPU:
    1080Ti SC2 Hybrid
    I will give them a try tonight. I have seen a lot of people bitching about Nvidia drivers on forums lately too. It is probably just ****ty coded games.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

15. SpikeOT

SpikeOT Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Exactly the same for me. I have just switched from a GTX770 to a Radeon R9295X2 and apart from Crossfire issues the card and drivers have been perfect. I have had to use DDU to get the recent beta drivers to work, which is an extra step when installing, but I don't mind that.

I'm slightly concerned about Far Cry 4 having good Crossfire support soon after release as I really want to play that game and it might not run well enough at 1440p maxed out with half my card not working. Fingers crossed the partnership with nVidia doesn't make life too hard for AMD to optimize for it.

As for those of you being rude to AMDMatt when he's trying to help, grow up. It's possible to air your grievances without behaving like petulant children. Go ahead and buy an nVidia card if you want. I'm not missing mine and you'll find plenty of people annoyed with them too.

Going back to the purpose of this thread for a moment, i.e. driver feedback, I have seen smoother performance in CoD: AW but weirdly the speech in the campaign cut scenes has gone very quiet for me. It reminds me of when you run a Blu Ray disc in 5.1 when you only have stereo speakers. It's like one of the sound channels is missing.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

16. Kipsofthemud

Kipsofthemud Guest

GPU:
    2x R9 290
    Made a small youtube video to back up my claims :p

youtube.com/watch?v=l7a_rvf_YjY

I'll try CoD AW to see if anything changed there and report back later!

17. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Im thinking they should spend more time with Xfire. While yes, the software dev has to support it, as well as eyefinity, they SHOULD make more allowance for those that dont, which lately, is a lot.
    I think its incredibly funny when you get people posting on here 'im never buying amd again, im going nvidia now' and things like that. Perhaps its your system maintenance abilities that are the REAL problem, ever considered that? I think the worst problems Ive had so far are heat, and noncompatibility with software, and that can be handed off the Sdev's too, not all software is designed for multigpu/multimoniters. It's nice, but its such a niche market, even though AMD pumps it up pretty heavily, at every chance they get, it has its problems too. Per driver, sometimes I get broken textures, flickering, slowdown, crazy heat from the cards, etc etc etc. Nothing is perfect, I get that, I guess what I would hope for here is some consistency though above all, I dont think thats too much to ask for, after spending after I buy my 3rd 29" Uwide moniter, over $1k in display hardware. Potentially more as I dont know how well 2 280x's will run that kind of desktop realestate across 3 moniters, sometimes they struggle with 2, depending on the software. Anyway, it'd be nice to see more effort into Crossfire and Eyefinity support, movie/video-wise, Ive never had a problem, its always the fps's, which I play a lot of, bf. :) /endrant.

18. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Has anyone tested the Asus RoG Swift at 144Hz with this driver? I will be able to test tonight after work.

19. Jonnygrunge

Jonnygrunge Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4090 SG1
    I am sorry I updated these from the 14.11.1's! Very, very disappointed in these drivers! These latest beta builds, do not recognise the hardware IDs of my 280X's, it sees them as 7970's, I know they are re-branded Tahiti XT GPU's, but these are the first drivers to do this! All others up until now saw them as R9 200's.
    Game wise - LOTR - SOM performance is poor, constant flickering in game, to the point of it being too much of a hindrance and distraction and ruining the game! The 14.9.2's were OK with this game!
    COD - AW - I am still getting very poor performance in Crossfire, negative scaling as it happens, and the game runs like a PowerPoint with crossfire enabled! It is OK with one card, and Crossfire disabled!
    I hear performance is OK with these for Unity (pre-ordered) but I think for the time being I will roll back to the 14.9.2's, and create an AFR friendly profile for Unity meantime, at least until there is a future, hopefully WHQL release from AMD. I used DDU latest build to clean up, after using Catalyst Install manager to uninstall, before upgrading to these by the way!
    I am getting extremely short now on patience for dual GPU support and AAA games!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  20. roadczar

roadczar Member

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Yes, still does not work.