Acer adds 15.6-inch gaming laptop with 4K screen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    At one point you need to realize that you do not see the dot pixels anymore as they are too close to each other for the eyes to see. Anyway, Acer adds the V Nitro Black Edition notebook which has a ...

Acer adds 15.6-inch gaming laptop with 4K screen

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I feel this tendency idiotic, you have to run games @half resolution with that mediocre hardware.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Nah man they got that covered with that sweet 16GB DDR3.

Lol.

4. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

makes no sense that 4k on that gpu

even on sli it will still be underpowered

5. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Anything with a dot pitch above .25 like the dell 30" 2560x1600 is a complete waste of time.
    And this size @ 4k is plain idiotic.

And what`s this 4K about K = 1000 Because if that's the case there calling it 4k when its not and people just except it.
    False advertising and should not be allowed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  6. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    You are right, that resolution is not 4K, it is UltraHD (UHD). Real 4K used in the cinema is slightly more than 4000 pixels wide (4096), and a slightly different aspect ratio. It is not 16:9. This all reminds me of the crap 720p they called HD before when it wasn't really, then added "Full HD" which could mean 1080i or 1080p. Yup, not confusing at all...

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It makes perfect sense if you use 4k for undemanding tasks, like web browsing and/or simple games, so you get nice, clear fonts and graphics. For regular games, you set it to run at FullHD, so games run fine, and there's no blur as each pixel from game is mapped to 2x2 square on screen.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Which is exactly why they use the UHD resolution and not true 4K.

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Virtually every company brochure when saying 4k means 3840x2160 (UHD). I wouldn't be nitpicking.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I know -- I'm just saying every 4K laptop thread always has the same posts in it, about 4K being useless for gaming and that 4K isn't true 4K.

Your post summed up exactly why it is the way it is nicely. But I can almost guarantee the next time a 4K laptop comes out you'll see the same questions again.

11. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    There doing it again with UHD, full UHD is 8k.

12. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    4k ??
    K what ?
    K has no technical meaning for a measurement for a area.
    Unless you want to measure temp k for kelvin.
    Unless you want to weight a object k for kilo gram
    Unless you want to measure distance K kilometres
    Unless you want to measure K kilobyte computer storage size.
    1k = 1000 pounds (slang)

What exactly is this 4k because it just seems a way to scam people when they want to purchase a new tv.
    The description should be mega pixel with a screen ratio like they do with cameras.
    They don't try to do this with cameras because they know the people who buy such things wont stand for it.
    Lets call a 4.1 mega pixel camera 4 k shall we.
    This advertising scam gimic needs to stop.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The SI prefix for 1000 is Kilo, abbreviated as k. 4K = 4000.

There is a separate standard for resolutions by DCI and one of them is 4K, which is natively 4096 × 2160 which is a 19:10 aspect ratio. 4K UHD is 3840 × 2160, 16:9, which maintains the precedent set by 1080/720.

Most companies list the displays as 4K UHD and often display the resolution. 4K is easier to say and honestly the only people who seem to make a big deal out of the naming scheme are people who know what 4K is anyway. I don't know a single non-tech oriented person who cares what they call it.

14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Outwitted.

15. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Its a sad day indeed if he excepts what his written to be factual.
    Its very easy for anyone to defend what I call miss leading incorrect advertising of something known to be incorrect and has nothing to do with a actual screen area size.
    You think its ok for companies to sell items with incorrect technical specs because I don't.
    It don't matter what the trend is its selling something with a fake term that has nothing todo with area size.

There not selling it by the kilo its not a bag of coal...

So a 1920x1080 tv is a 1k ?

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    All this angst about 4k not being 4k. Rounding is rounding. Last time checked, 3860 rounds to 4000 hence 4k. Everyone seems to accept HDD and SSD volumes not being what is stated on the drives. Screen resolution being presenting in the manor it is reflects the same principle. The initial arguments about the hardware not being up to snuff for the resolution made more sense than making a mountain out of a mole hill about screen resolution labeling.

17. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Ahh ok that's great I don't see a problem at all im only nit picking.
    Want to buy my car ? it goes 100 mph and can do 50 miles per gallon.
    Its actually only able to go 95.5 mph but I rouded it off to 100 thinking you wont mind,
    also it will only do 46 miles per gallon but its ok because I didn't think you would mind if I rouded it up.
    Im sorry but to me its not acceptable and we all should be saying the same thing because its mis selling.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    1920x1080 would be 2K. If someone interchanged the two when talking about a TV I wouldn't care what-so-ever, it's basic rounding. And honestly you keep making it sound like it's the companies that decided to name it 4K. When it was actually Sony who decided to push the UHD name to the CEA in order to differentiate it from the actual 4K standard. Not to mention the fact that nearly every single company labels it as UHD, which denotes a specific resolution. As oppose to 720/1080 which only specifies horizontal resolution. If anything the previous naming scheme is more misleading than the current one.

I know multiple people with 4K Tv's and I doubt any of them wouldn't have purchased it had it been labeled 2160p. None of them care. The only people I see making a big deal out of the 4K naming scheme are people who already know the difference between UHD and 4K. And those people blow it so out of proportion it's mind boggling.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Troll bate taken.

First off, what the rated output of an automobile is and its real life on the pavement capabilities are different. The sticker on a new automobile even states that. Try a better analogy. Even go after food labeling. All those percentages are rounded. This is how real life marketing and labeling works. Learn the rules (definitions) and adjust accordingly. It's that simple.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No offense to anyone meant. (decided to delete offensive part.)
    If you make product, or if you are part of standardization organization it is your decision to name product / standard.
    Make your standard, name it xStupidExtrax, UberHD or 4S like Staco.
    It is not anything else than name.

It is always lovely to see limited worlds spinning around limited point of view. But world is bigger than you. And while you see 4 and K as something, it may mean completely different thing to others.