Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I pretty much went on a portable and home headphones buying spree recently. Bought a Klipsch Image One BT for my Note 3:
    [​IMG]
    This was followed by the Kingston HX Cloud headset
    [​IMG]
    A JVC HA FXZ100 for when I didn't feel like using the Image One BT
    [​IMG]
    This was followed y the ATH-AD700X for my home lisening pleasure
    [​IMG]
    Wanted a noise canceling cans for when I'm out, Klipsch Mode 40
    [​IMG]
    And today, made a quick decision to buy a used Senn HD800 for 800USD
    [​IMG]
    It has some minor cosmetic defects, scratches on headphone jack, a bit of paint has be scratched off somehow, but nothing that affects that great soundstage.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, I have a pair of the ATH-AD700X What do you think of them? I think their one of the best headphones I've heard.

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Very airy, pretty wide soundstage, a tad light on the bass side though, but very good cans for just chilling with a variety of music. Not an analytical headphones, it's easy on the ears......NOT for bassheads though.:3eyes: Bear in mind, I'm just starting out on this audiophile trail.....so, I've got a ways to go.:nerd:

4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    A lot of people say that about them, thing is Bass wise, I think they are just very neutral in that department, where if there is a lot of bass in a certain song, it will be bassy. I find them to be very musical Headphones :) Well, imo ditch the z5500's for a start and purchase some really good speakers, not bagging the logitechs, just not very audiophile speakers :)

I can offer some advice on some things, if you want?

regards
    ,RagDoll.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, the ATH-AD700X shares a similar perception/bias with the HD800 which has been described as being light on the low side as well. Like the ATH-AD700X. it seems to have a bass presence when the music calls for it, but I guess it lacks a midbass slam since these cans strive for neutrality. Is pleasantly surprised by the bass on the HD800 as well, it has presence though lacking in punch. Bass on both are tighter, which I actually prefer not......I'm kind of tired of listening to musics where bass muddies everything else.

The Z5500 is for when I game in 5.1 on my rig, I have my HTPC rig, using an Auzen X-Fi Forte, hooked up to my old Marantz SR7001 receiver for watching HD movies, surfing and light gaming. I plan on getting a decent DAC/AMP combo for my Senn HD800 for more serious music listening sessions. But if you feel you can give me some sound advice (see what I did there?), I'm all ears (I did it again!).

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Oh well, what's a discussion without a few Punns lol Sorry, didn't know you have gear already. That's some high end stuff there, brilliant ;) I just built some nice bookshelf speakers, with Dali high end tweeter and woofer :)

speaker settings and placement can sometimes make a system that much better sounding, I also suggest 2 subs, because it gets rid of standing waves :)

Just recently I bought a used Auzen X-Fi Hometheatre HD Soundcard, it's brilliant.

cheers,
    RagDoll.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Just got back, I didn't know there's a Polymer battery inside the DAC/AMP I'd gotten, pretty well received in my neck of the woods. Though somewhat portable, it has more than enough grunt to run even power hungry cans with ease. I have to charge it for 24 hours, then burn it in for a few days before I can tell if I'd made the right decision. Oh yeah, it's an iFi Micro iDSD....
    [​IMG]

8. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Ordered and received a pair of Logitech UE6000 headphones which, for me anyway, are great for the grand total of...£25 from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Bargain!

They were sold "used - as new" and whilst the box was a bit tatty I don't even think the 'phones had been used. At all. Even the battery pull-out tab was there, although I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to replace that.

Anyhoo, they sound great, again to me, very bassy which is what I like and fairly flat when you turn the NC off, which is really a Bass/Volume Boost function as it doesn't do much noise cancelling.

Very well received on head-fi and for good reason in my opinion.

For the price, bargain.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  9. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Congrats on your purchases.....especially those HD800.....they are wonderful headphones, to say the least.

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Thanks! I've been told that I'd gotten the HD800 for a good price. I've been listening to music with it, with the iFi Micro iDSD carrying out the duty as DAC/AMP, with my Marantz CD5001 acting as transport. The HD800 is known for having a wide soundstage, but with the 3D sound and Bass Boost enabled on my iFi Micro iDSD, I find that soundstage opens up even wider. The experience was so engrossing that I basically sat thru the entire CD of Enya's Greatest Hits and Linda Ronstadt's Cry Like A Rainstorm, Howl Like The Wind. Something I'd never done before....

11. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    The soundstage...the detail....bass......great mids.....this can has it all....I am sure you will enjoy it very much.

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Have you guys tried some DSD64 tracks? My goodness, the sound is simply next level! I'm so stoked about audio now, have committed to buy a pair of HiFiman HE400i and a Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600 Ohms. Have also ordered a Walnut Omega stand for the HD800, a HiFiman stand for the HE400i, and a couple of regular metal stands for the HD555 and DT990. Can't wait for all of 'em to come! Should have the cans by the weekend though, that's for sure....

BTW, reason why I'm getting the HE400i is....well, I'd like to try an orthodynamic (planar mag) headphones, but NOT want to spend more than 800USD on higher end planar mags. Anyway, I'd scored a good deal for the DT990/600 + HE400i, together they'd cost me about 552USD.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    See if you can get an oppo bluray player. Then use the oppo Dac, which are very high quality Wolfsen DACS, plug hdmi from vga card into the input of the oppo and then the multi channel analog of the oppo for output... Should sound incredible :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Actually, I can play them already, I'm using an iFi Micro iDSD DAC/AMP that can basically play all present HD audio formats....even somewhat future proof (though I hate to bandy that oft used phrase). I played it on my computer, hooked up to my Micro iDSD via USB cable, and using my HD800.....amazing! In case you've not heard of iFi Micro iDSD, here's its specs:
    http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Even Alexander Rosson of Audeze was quite taken with it....

15. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yup, that's very awesome indeed :) However the oppo is mullti channel... For cans, and 2.0 speakers, that piece of machinery would sound unbelievable :) Have a great time :)

regards
    ,Ragdoll.

16. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Yeah, some of the HD tracks sounds wonderful :)

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I tried some as well but the ones i tried some reason had lower volume. I don't know if it was because of my audiotree audio x1 usb to spdif convertor or bad dsd64 tracks.

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yeah, I find DSD tracks to be a tad softer than, say, MP3 @320kbps. But they do sound incredible. I'd be borrowing a friend's HDD with 1TB of DSD songs to try out, so looking forward to it! I'd be using my Senn HD800, as well as my just acquired Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms (took possession yesterday) and HiFiman HE400i which I'd just picked up. This weekend is gonna be the shizznizzle!:nerd:

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Got both my cans, now a shot of them together...tried both out briefly, I find it odd that I like the Beyer DT990/600 more.....for now.
    [​IMG]

20. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Great pic!

I love the look of the HE400i....more so than the HE560i