AMD Catalyst 14.9.2 BETA (14.301.1006.0 October 9)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by garikfox, Oct 24, 2014.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    He did lol.

2. PhoenixRed

PhoenixRed Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    My friend pointed me towards driver fusion, I ran it and i had 24 drivers that were not up to date, some that pointed towards pci-e. I updated them all and haven't had a single black yet, running 14.9.2. Fingers crossed. :banana:

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    um, that pci-e driver was probobly the AMD one, you are using an INTEL mobo.

Not sure if thats kosher...

Driver fusion is a bit antiquated, try slim drivers, its croud-sourced.

4. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    I did because I was to pissed off. 25 fps with that configuration? thats the image of mantle. 800 dollars of equipment.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why use Mantle with that setup? DX will fly

It's known that Mantle and BF4/CF give negative FPS vs DX

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What settings/resolution?

7. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    it really isnt extra. before july 8th, this config was crushing DX in such ridiculous way thats its just hard to comprehend.

now it runs like crap, and tbh, DX runs like crap too.

8. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Im using 14.9 whql and im not getting any problems like you are. so that rules out the hardware

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well I have more or less the same GPU setup as you, and DX runs great with BF4 @ 6048x1080

I don't bother with Mantle, it's a pointless solution to a problem that doesn't exist when you have machines with these type of specs, plus there is a distinct graphical detail and colour loss vs DX imo

When was the last time you ran DDU and reinstalled drivers?

Last time you wiped the machine?

Ive just recently reinstalled Windows and every single game I had installed on the old windows install, runs 10x better since the wipe, and I thought my old install was running well

10. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Mantle Crossfire does not give "negative" FPS vs. DX11, if what you mean is it gives worse scaling, quite contrary, before the memory leak happens it will give you a much smoother experience. However, once the memory leak hits after a few rounds it will make the game unplayable just like in the video linked.

In the video the yellow line in the performance graph is the CPU frame render time and the green one is the GPU frame render time. The memory leak will make the CPU render time jump up a lot and the resulting stuttering will make the experience a very bad one for such an expensive setup.

Not only does DX11 Crossfire drop the framerate in some situations like Siege of Shanghai after levolution for some reasons, but will also provide more jitter in frametimes compared to the megasmooth 90 FPS fixed green line in Mantle. As for the "distinct graphical detail and colour loss vs DX imo" I never noticed it, other than some minor glitches that are present on one renderer but not the other Mantle vs DX11 are identical. When the Mantle renderer was launched there was indeed a problem with some post processing effects but that's long gone.

Last word from DICE was that both AMD and DICE are working on it, hopefully the fix will be delivered in time as BF4 is pretty much the reason I built the Crossfire setup and also Dragon Age: Inquisition (using the same Frostbite engine) is less than a month away.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well Im going from posts a few people have made saying they get better FPS in CF using DX than Mantle - I dont use Mantle so only speaking from what Ive read

12. PhoenixRed

PhoenixRed Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Pretty sure it was an intel driver that was installed, also I had a quick google but could you link me to the slimdriver site? As the one I found looked a little ghetto.

13. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    crz is right. before july, i had a rig with an fx 8320 overclocked to 4.7ghz and two 290s. mantle run like a dream I was really blown away by how low the latency and smoothness is. it run like single gpu would run with 144fps and hz. so smooth.

then in june i built a new rig because i believed my two 290's underperformed with amd cpu so bought an i7 and a maximus 7 z97 board. then the july 8th patch from dice la hit and it was all crap. i was troubleshooting my rig for months, i formatted windows 4 times, reinstalled all 14.X drivers with mantle support using DDU. swapped power supplies.

in single gpu, the game runs fine. with multi gpu, it runs like crap. I just want amd to see that its broken.

as for colours loss, it was a bug, it was fixed around spring early this year.

14. PhoenixRed

PhoenixRed Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Update: I installed silmdrivers from its website, it tried to make me install 2 old drivers from 2006 :/

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    NEVER, EVER use ANY program that's saying it will install drivers for you. It won't do anything good at best, and install malware and crapware at worst.
    There's nothing wrong with going to station-drivers.com and downloading stuff manually.

16. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Thing is until recently Mantle gave me better performance with a hitch about every 15 minutes (it was unfrequent enough to not be that much of an issue), now though it is unfrickinplayable. The framerate is terrible and it hitches constantly. Not sure what they did, but it just keeps getting worse and worse.

17. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Mantle has 3 distinct strengths compared to DX. 1) is the one that everyone know about which is CPU limited situations. 2) is it has frametimes that are about half of what DX can give, which in turn allows 3) that is across the board higher minimum FPS. All of these create a far smoother experience than anything DX by either AMD or Nvidia.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's been recently that Ive seen people saying it's worse than DX

For me it was crap when it was first released, I never bothered after a quick mess about with it, then recently reading people saying it's still crap

I dunno, Ive grown up with DX, my machine is happy with DX, I don't see the need for mantle tbh

And yet everyone who tries using it says it's broken, yea.... keep going

19. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    You were troubleshooting your rig for months.... Did you try any BF4 forums? Would have found out it was a game issue. No tinkering inside your box is going to fix a broken game issue.

But even if you didn't check game forums: all was good before the 8th July BF4 game patch and after patch was crap. Big hint there and yet you want to blame AMD for sub par hardware/drivers? Can I just point out July 8th bf4 patch wasn't a AMD bf4 patch - it was a Dice patch. And yet you point the finger at AMD? This is just another bug in a very long list of bugs that has plagued Dice's BF4.

Anyways, good news is that AMD have maybe found what is causing it and has passed on info to Dice. See, Dice need fix it within their game code. It is not an AMD driver/hardware issue.

Black screen issue on wake, yes blame AMD. I have had that on some the previous drivers and it was annoying as hell. I have not had it on these drivers yet though. Touch wood.

btw, Game goes crap for crossfire Mantle after the memory leak fills system ram - before it reaches max ram, game runs great. Also I found out 1 x 7970 on mantle does ok in bf4, but I preferred to run my 2 cards so switched to DX. Dx is not as smooth as Mantle but is still more than acceptable for now.

20. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    If you were at the start of Mantle (14.1 driver ) and were running crossfire, there was a major driver issue that gave very poor crossfire scaling performance + AMD's framepacing algorithm was not ideal at the time. Took them a month to get the scaling fixed and their new framepacing algorithm released.

For me, from late January on my crossfired 7970s in mantle did way better than DX (thigh the 'fog' bug was sh1tty). Until we get to the July 8th patch! Memory leak introduced for Mantle crossfire. Single GPU Mantle is not effected by this.

The only people saying Mantle is worse than DX are the ones with low vram cards (no hope for them) or the peeps with crossfire trying to run BF4. Dice broke Mantle crossfire performance in BF4 with the July 8th patch. Single cards (with 3Gb + vram) Mantle BF4 is good and gives better performance than DX. Mantle crossfire BF4 gives better performance than DX (up until the system memory gets filled, then you get what velocity is experiencing).

If you got the grunt to run DX and don't mind the lower graphical performance, stick with it. You don't see the need for Mantle, but MS does. DX12 (mantle equivalent low level api) coming your way, but obviously you won't need it.