MFAA on GTX 7xx series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Doom112, Sep 19, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

It sounds like ****ty temporal AA. I hope it doesn't introduce image wobbling/ghosting and completely missed aliasing like SMAAT2x does

2. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    We're probably gonna be stuck with bad AA for quite a while...

3. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I enabled MFAA along with nvidia quality upscaling and games aren't crashing for me..weird

4. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I agree. Time and time again some new AA magic wand is flaunted at the community and time and time again we resort to MSAA or SSAA again because they are the only two they truly remove jaggie lines the best. There is a reason they hit performance. They actually work and work without smearing the screen with Vaseline.

5. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Yes but we do need new AA techniques, MSAA doesn't work well with deferred rendering techniques, easy to spot jaggies in most games these days for that very reason no matter how high you've cranked MSAA, it's become obsolete for DR and as it so happens the industry is moving forward with Def. Rend.

SSAA is great but computationally very expensive, atleast with current GPUs.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    MSAA only affects geometry. SSAA of the standard kind (OGSSAA which DSR is), only really helps with IQ , edge size and edge quality. A lot of times it does absolutely nothing for certain kinds of temporal aliasing that only properly integrated SGSSAA has been shown to fix.

In some cases where certain rendering buffers are at a fixed fraction of rendering resolution and said effects have a lot of temporal artifacts, does SSAA best SGSSAA. (IE: Resident Evil 6 or Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut ;only; for example)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    i hope that will be a way to enable mfaa on kepler cards. it's an interesting technique, it would be amazing if it will also boost Txaa that i love.
    Anyway i'm just waiting Epic's "temporal Aa"

8. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Up!

Any news about this new M*F* AA ( :D ) and 750-750ti?

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    MFAA is working now if enabled in inspector.

Ive tested it in BF4 and it works quite well. Only problem is I cant get any screenshots of it, as all the screenshots ive taken with it (used RadeonPro) only show half of what its doing.
    Ive seen one guy using .gifs to try to show the MFAA effect however so mayve that is the way to show it.

Basically in BF4 if you disable ingame MSAA and use driver forced MFAA, you get IQ similar to that of ingame x2 MSAA essentially for free.
    If you add ingame x2MSAA to MFAA you get IQ ~ x4MSAA, for the hit of the ingame x2MSAA only.

Its not working in all games yet though.
    Watchdogs for example you get a ripple or distorted/blurred textures that follow the camera pov around just in front of the player.

Its going to be good for sure when its ready !!

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    If there is no performance hit with MFAA, then I think its not hardware based (just software) and Nvidia just toggled/marketed it for Maxwell series.

Edit: Mostly because having new hardware just for AA, seems a bit weird (no matter what the while paper say). Its just a new Algorithm, which means its programmable = software.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

11. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
  12. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    But for the first Maxwell GPUs?

13. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    How do you enable it?

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    @ Darren H, It doesn't blur anything from what I can see.

@ Terepin, use inspector, you will see option to enable "Maxwell Sample Interleaving" for your game profiles.
    Then set AA mode to "enhance"

You can use it by itself (no ingame msaa), or add it to ingamex2,x4 or even x8 MSAA for better IQ.

15. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Just tried it in FC3. No improvement whatsoever.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Are you saying that MFAA works in games that have no MSAA support at all?

Does it for example work with GTA IV then, a game that is notorious in my eyes for not having post-process AA or AA of any kind other than an extremely ugly blur filter.

17. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GeForce 3060
    Up :D

18. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I don't know mate.

I have only tested it in a few games and all have native MSAA.
    In those games MFAA still works to some degree even if in game MSAA is off, but it works better with ingame at x2MSAA or above.

Its not ready for primetime yet though.
    In Watchdogs its bugged and blurs/distorts areas on the floor.
    As Terepin said above, some games it doesn't work at all yet.

19. kendoka15

kendoka15 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I'd be for MFAA if it wasn't that Nvidia marketed TXAA as being better and clearer than any other AA out there and it turned out to be a blur fest

Nvidia's description of TXAA:
    "TXAA anti-aliasing creates a smoother, clearer image than any other anti-aliasing solution by combining high-quality MSAA multisample anti-aliasing, post processes, and NVIDIA-designed temporal filters."

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the thread was weeks old, disregard this :)

20. stillmatic84

stillmatic84 Member

GPU:
    RX 6700 OC 10g
    Want to know this aswell, baught a 750 ti thinkin i would get this aswell but it sucks if its only for 2nd gen maxwells