Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    With the PS4 YouTube app you can now stream directly from your phone to the PS4. Impressive.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    is that so? nice!

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    You could before with the browser pointed at YouTube.Tv.... At least I have been doing that.

Any word on how to get Google play music to work on the ps4?

Also,i noticed a few days ago that shadow warrior has been in the ps4 store for 35 bucks! It's like it snuck up on us.

4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Installed the update and 3 minutes later my ps4 crashed and shut off. Been fine since - weird.

5. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    So, not trying to get flamed, I have neither a PS4 or an Xbox One yet but I've been following both and I have to say that the Xbox One is looking better everyday.

Faster updates, more functionality, and better exclusives so far. 180p difference between multi-platform games on the two is insignificant from all the Digital Foundry analysis I've seen so far.

Am I very wrong?

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    No one is wrong, you just gotta get the system that fits your preference.

Humbly, I would say Microsoft quite simply is NOT a manufacturer, whereas Sony is and this alone is reason enough to avoid the xboner.

The PS4 is better designed and constructed; and yes, it is more powerful.

Microsoft is just tagging along with a product they can hock other stuff with.

7. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    1) No argument there, but I haven't made up my mind.

2) That makes no sense at all, there's not an argument there.

3) I agree on design and construction, it's very pretty. It's not that much more powerful. On launch yes, definitely, but the gap quickly closed and is now insignificant, the latest multi-platform games show that.

4) That makes no sense. Having a PS4 with pretty much just the basic and so far mediocre average scoring exclusives, is better than an Xbox One with a lot of functionality and more already on the way, with higher average scoring exclusives? With both having the same multi-platform games?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I can appreciate ps4 for what it is a good console. But so far I have bought X1 and Wii U on the basis that nothing interests me on ps4 atm. Tho there is bloodborne coming sadly one game not enough to sway me to any direction.

I like the look of X1 more and it does not overheat which is 10000x better thing then 360 was. It sure isn't as powerful as PS4 but well that is how console generations always go.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Most of the big releases so far have been released on both, if not all known consoles, so you won't see all that much of a difference. Infamous is a good example of what the PS4 is capable of, but you are going to have to wait till GTA V or 2015 to start to see the differences.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I feel a lot of the PS4 exclusives have been somewhat underscored by most gaming sites. I'm pretty much ignoring reviews for the most part these days and just going by the general views of people on forums to decide if it's worth my time.

Plus Xbox One exclusives seem to be making there way to the pc quite frequently so if there is something I want to check out I'll probably get it on that.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    PS4 only have 3 first party titles atm dont they. Havnt been following.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Driveclub is very underrated I think. Sure the online aspect was a mess for a couple of weeks, but so was GTA V for at least a month.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hmm rumours are now remakes are coming of the uncharted games , a collection like halo maybe ?
    There is a screenshot they upload of uncharted in the ps4 2.0 update video

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I read about this when I was searching for any updates with Uncharted 4.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Is there a wiki yet the state which models use what NM fabrication yet?

I read here and there that the initial NM used has since been shrunk a few times. reducing heat and power usages.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    After all the ps3 and (so far) ps4 firmware updates, I never had an issue. This 2.0 update...not so lucky. I cant put my system to sleep or it wont turn back on. I have to unplug it for 20 seconds. My menus freeze randomly when searching through the psn store as well. Both known issues with the update. At least, as long as I dont put it to sleep, I can play games.

Why do I put it in sleep mode? I have a vita, and for me, the vita is utterly useless with one exception, being able to play my ps4 at work when I'm on lunch. Also when the girlfriend is watching a show and I'm at her house, it still works great on a WAN.

But...with this sleep mode issue...:bang:

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Played the thing last night that game is arcadey as it comes. Has quite a few online issues but else seemed pretty ok racer. The 30fps thing is noticeable but not game breaking in any sense or form. It is kind of PGR lite.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It gets better once you unlock the professional and hyper classes. The sense of speed with the hyper cars is increadible at times.

SerotoNiN. Have you tried booting in to safe mode then rebuilding the database?

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    1) It's all about the games, so go play the games at your local games centre and see for yourself.

2) Wasn't really an argument than a frame of mind. Microsoft do not make anything. Period. Sony do, with decades of experience in manufacturing electronics. What have Microsoft ever made themselves that wasn't stuff bashed together from the parts bin? They have got a total 'PC' attitude to consoles, using a big stupid fugly black box to dominate the living room. Sony put a decent fan in theirs which is whisper quiet - Microsoft just slammed the biggest fan they order from the company which builds their consoles and said 'screw it'.

I just do not trust the build quality or design principles from a company that doesn't know how to make stuff.

3) It's waaaaay more powerful, dewd. Whether games companies choose to use it or not is another matter. DX12 will not change anything: it's a smokescreen.

4) If scores determine you choices and opinions, you've already lost. I don't need another scoring system debate. I play games which have pretty low scores, but I'm interested in the genre; just as I've played games everyone said were badass only to find myself bored stupid. I'm going back 2 decades with this viewpoint.

As I said, go play the games on both and just buy whichever one you think is right for you - and take your time about it. Don't make a snap judgement on the spot, talk to the guys in the store, play the games and figure out what it is you really want for yourself - because coming here is not going to help you.

The really negative thing about both consoles in the fact they both got H264 encoding in them instead of H265. I can kinda forgive them for this because the standard isn't a standard yet, so just timing I suppose.

20. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Xbox One GPU:

1.18TFLOPS (available for games) from 12 CU. (X1 has 1.32TFLOPS but 10 percent GPU reserved for system)
    768 Shaders
    48 Texture Units
    16 ROPS
    2 ACE with 8 queues each = 16 queues total

Playstation 4 GPU:

1.84TFLOPS from a total of*18 Compute Units +56%
    1152 shaders 50%
    72 Texture Units + 50%
    32 ROPS + 100%
    8 ACE with 8 queues each = 64 queues total +400%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.