Philips to launch BDM4065UC 40

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It's getting better every day...;) Incredible stuff at incredible prices...!

3. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    It´s good that new monitors are coming, but imo 1440p is still "unplayable" on the graphic cards from today.
    My GTX 970 is already "struggling" with some new games at 1080p and everything on max. Considering that 980 is the fastest card around and the 970 isn´t that far away, it kinda bothers me. I doubt it´ll perform better on 1440p resolution.

4. Wye43

Wye43 Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    VA is not a monitor

VA panel = TV, not monitor
    Trying to masquerade TVs as monitors is so 2013 and also worthy of companies like Seiki.
    What has become of you, Philips? Whats next, sell your brand to a Chinese company making 150$ TVs?

5. kroks

kroks Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    "8-bit colour depth" :(

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well its a 780GTX perf. and that is just ok @ 1080p with max settings, dunno what did you expect from 970GTX, yeah 980GTX aint that better either :p

That real high-end Maxwell GM210 and AMD r9-390X will change a thing or two though.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Bright side is that the emergence of these monitors is a definite R&D spur to the GPU OEMs (nV & AMD) to accelerate their UHD product development...these monitors at these prices are a powerful incentive!

Right now, Mantle is already serving as a foundation for bringing multi-GPU support into 3d APIs for Windows, the difference from the present D3d support being that SLI & Crossfire support is entirely custom and must be supported by the GPU OEMs *after* a game ships, and on an individual basis for each game released--and right now D3d 11.x & < does not allow for developer support of Crossfire & SLI within the code of a game itself. This simply means that neither SLI nor Crossfire have come close to reaching their real potential...

Mantle is paving the way for Microsoft to bring in SLI/Crossfire support into D3d, as well--and this will become an integral component of games going forward, imo, as for the time being the only adequate support for performance at these kinds of UHD resolutions is a dual-GPU solution. Bringing in x-Fire/SLI support directly into the API (cool for SFR, too!) will mean that in time *most* games will support multi-gpu acceleration *natively.* Eventually, of course, continuing GPU OEM R&D will produce single-gpu solutions capable of driving 4k UHD games @ ~60 fps (and better, as time moves on.) Pushing the bar ever forward is the way that really cool technologies make their way into the hands of the rank & file, eventually, and become commonplace--which is what we want...:D

There's really no downside here that I can see. It's all good as the progress is moving in the desired directions.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Out of curiousity, are Philips "monitors" made by Philips? or are they Funai? I know Funai owns Philips electronic brands for TVs, DVDs/blu ray players/sound bars etc. but what about "monitors"?

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I'm assuming by that remark you're lamenting no 10-bit support as of yet...;) It may take a bit longer, but I believe it will come--of course I'd like to see it, too! Just thinking of 1,000+ color gradients per color/pixel versus 256 per color/pixel makes me drool! I think that as things go, however, 10-bits is likely to take a good while longer to move into the mainstream, and frankly the difference is not so dramatic in presentation that I would pay thousands extra in premiums just to get it *now.* But, I believe that once the ~4k/UHD monitor and gpu markets firm up and mature that this will be the next step providing it can be done with economies of scale. Then after that will come application and game development @ 10 bits native--which is likely to take much longer to begin to mature.

But as always the hardware more often than not drives the software development, so I think 10-bits is definitely on its way in the foreseeable future!

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    4k gfx cards are a few years away still

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Id like to give it a try with this 295X2, see what sorta FPS it gets @ 4k

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Perhaps, but SLI 970 crushes 1440p just fine...I've been playing shadow of mordor at 100fps @ 1440p no problems. One card may struggle, but it's always been known that one single card cannot yet adequately drive a 1440p with super high frames, let alone 4k.

Give it some time.. better that there is a bevy of 4k displays out there so once gpus do end up catching up, there will be plenty of options available and people wont have to wait around *cough* gsync *cough*

13. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Do you have a single core cpu or something? My 290x plays games in 4k mostly fine. At 1440p I am at like 50-70 FPS.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    And TFT with 300 cd/m2 brightness. :puke2: