GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Guys, I've finally received my MSI 970GTX and now it won't work in SLI with my EVGA card! :bang:
    I've been running in nothing but trouble with these new cards. I've tried the SLI connector in both configurations, I tried two different SLI bridges and it tells me every time that the SLI connector bridge is missing both on Win7 and Win8.1

It worked fine with the EVGA Inno3D combination, the SLI bridges are fine. What must I do? :(

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Use this and follow the instructions in the readme.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/obb0f8bh7qya447/DifferentSLIAuto1.1.zip

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Thanks, you're a life saver! Finally everything works, cards run super cool and 3Dmark score is well above 14K stock clocks (1228MHz boost).

Darn, I read in Hilbert's review that it's no problem to mix cards, but apparently it is, what a mess, but I'm glad it's working :D

In the control panel it still says I should connect an SLI connector for optimal performance, but I guess that's no problem? The SLI connector is in place and the 3Dmark score seems normal.
    I just hope that future drivers fix this problem, though :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    [​IMG]
    ~1600 MHz.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you what? 1600? how? any artifacts?

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Zero artifacts, 1,275V. 1597 MHz to be exact. :D

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    tweaked bios?

max temps?

what are your 24/7 clocks now?

8. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    New MSI Gaming 970 coming tomorrow!

Upgrading from R9 280.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't really know how high the temps would go, probably a bit over 70c depending on how I would tweak the fan profile.

My 24/7 clocks at the moment are 1470 MHz and 7700 MHz, stock volts. I use custom fan profile which is way more conservative than the default one and the temperatures seem to max out around 64c.

I modified my BIOS so that the minimum fan speed is now ~1100 RPM and limited the lowest voltage in P00 power state to 1,2V so that my card no longer crashes in games where the card would lower the voltage too much compared to core speed.

Kinda interesting that only that small change made it so that the voltage now goes higher and the boost goes through the roof. If I don't touch the voltage it gives me 1470 MHz (with +78 MHz for core) but with +87mV boost goes to 1597 MHz with same offset.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. dan182

dan182 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Connect 3d X1900 XTX
    nice job.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Did you show this in a screeny earlier in the thread? Where in the Bios tool is this adjustment made?

I haven't looked to many any adjustments to voltage or power states yet, just fans.. but was planning on it.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yep, I did post it earlier (red circle shows the right place).

Now I actually understand why it gives me 1597 MHz. For some reason it boost all the way up to max boost table clock which is 1519 MHz (1519+78=1597) when I max out the voltage.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Cool ty.

Looks like I may be flashing again! :banana:

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Typically I would not recommend mixing brands, but the BIOS is trivial here. If BIOS revisions are not too far away from each other it should have worked. I have tested a Palit 970 with a MSI 970 and even an MSI 970 and a Gigabyte 970 -- it was not an issue.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I received my free EVGA GTX970 backplate in the mail today. Makes my vanilla card look a bit more like it should have from the start. It has heatsinks for the ram which will be nice, perhaps I can push it a bit further.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    That I cannot explain.. but it definitely is not coil whine. However, that may be a sign that something is not proper as I don't have that issue when idle.

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Too bad I had to find the exception to the rule :bang: I wonder if this can be fixed by BIOS editing or something. Now I have to apply this hacky patch every time I install a new driver and I have no guarentee it will work for future drivers...

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've always just run single cards but I was under the impression with SLI that any brand X gtx760 coupled with a different brand Y gtx760 could be SLI'd together, regardless of their default clock speeds possibly being different (or any 2x gtx780, gtx570, etc, etc). Is this not the case?

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    For most cases this works fine if it's the same series and model and the cards have identical amount of memory. However for my EVGA ACX 970GTX and MSI Gaming 970GTX this is a no go. I had to use that patch harkinsteven posted in order to make SLI work. By default it acts as if the SLI bridge is not connected...

If the EVGA's weren't out of stock everywhere I wouldn't have this problem now... However the MSI is the better card. It runs cooler, has slightly higher stock clocks, is less noisy and it has an 8 pin PCI-E power connector that the EVGA doesn't have. But I've paid about 35 euros more for this card. Next time I'm gonna do that immediately. Stay away from cheap brands if custom coolers are involved. For reference cards it usually doesn't matter which brand you pick, but the custom coolers are of worse quality than the reference coolers for some brands...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  20. dan182

dan182 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Connect 3d X1900 XTX