980 GTX help please

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mahanddeem, Oct 28, 2014.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Hello guys,
    I want to decide which 980 should I buy :
    1. Gigabyte G1
    2. MSI Gaming
    3. EVGA SC ACX 2.0

I don't want to overclock and I want to get a card that's stable and has good performance out of the box with its factory OC.

Any one of these has the fan actually spins low rpm and doesn't stop on idle ?
    I hate the idea of a stupid 38+ C idle temp just for no fan noise ! I have 5 fans in my case and another fan will never bother me.

I just canceled my MSI 980 order when I knew its fan stops till 50c and I have to choose OC mode each time I want to game. And no apply setting when windows start ? seriously ? plus it has no backplate.

Gigabyte seems better performing and has good idle and load temp and load and a backplate, is it stable enough ?

EVGA SC ACX2.0 has the best factory OC, will it be better than Gigabyte G1 ? and by how much

Or finally, wait for EVGA Classified ? although I need to buy 980 now
    I game at 1080p and my system is in my sig

Thanks

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the msi gaming has the no fan spin feature, but that takes 2 clicks in Afterburner to do away with. I'm personally against anything Gigabyte but they seem to have nailed it with the 9xx cards. so either that or the msi gaming. I have the msi gaming and it's a brilliant card.

if you're not overclocking and pushing for max performance, why not look into the 970s? they're plenty fast and cost a chunk of cash less.

at 1080p I'd just go with the 970 and with the money saved I'd invest in a soundcard and good headphones maybe, or a new mouse or keyboard etc.

3. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    The Gigabyte G1 is the one to go for, thats the only third party cooler card that i known off that dont have that fan stop spinning problem @ 50c and above.

Or u could go for the STRIX series van asus but that one also got that fan stop spinning problem, but it has a nice backplate tho, to keep the vram dacs a little bit cooler.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that is not the reason to go for the Gigabyte, like I said, it takes a few clicks to make the fan spin permanently. 2 year olds can do it.

btw, the G1 is not the only one that has the fans always spinning out the box. Might be the only one you know off, but hey, that just proves that you don't know it all. again.

5. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    And there we go again.

U are getting annoying eclap go away from this forum please.

6. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    I went with MSI Gaming simply because it was too hard to find Gigabyte version, but that's the one I would rather have because of the 3-fan cooler, backplate, great VRM temps, and high overclocks. MSI Gaming is not that far behind and its quieter at maximum load, gets excellent support MSI AfterBurner, and I hope it will also have specific MSI voltage mods through BIOS or through similar software, like one made for GTX 780.

Go with Gigabyte for its high stock clocks and very safe build. I think its next to EVGA in terms of stock performance without overclocking. Just be patient as finding one can be difficult. I wasn't patient, but I also don't regret getting MSI Gaming as its also a very solid card.

I would NOT go for GTX 970 even @ 1080p because I strongly believe that upcoming games will be very demanding on GPU and VRAM. I just sold GTX 780 Ti with a great overclock, which performed as fast as GTX 980 overclocked to about 1400Mhz. Many thought it was overkill for 1080p, but I didn't. I loved 4K to 1080p downsampling that GTX 980 handles well. Games like Metro Redux, Alien Isolation ran @ 60fps+ with 4K to 1080p downscaling. Also, if you have a 120Hz monitor - GTX 980 is a SURE bet as you want your framerate as high as possible because I find 40fps on a 120Hz screen to be choppy...

7. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    What he said.

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Wow, disrespectful much.

9. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    I dont like him period, and i got my own reasons for it, even hilbert advise me not to talk to him, best for both way, for him and for me, are we done now ?

I can be cool for a long time, but enough is enough for me.

10. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Why no one mention the evga sc acx ?
    Will it perform better than gigabyte?
    Thanks again guys

11. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Thanks for sharing your option, but I say keyboard, headset or a mouse is worthless compared even to few more fps in gaming. That's why I want 980. Maybe 2 970s but my psu is 750 watt ?

12. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I only suggested those peripherals because those you will get more use out of than the few extra fps. if you're happy with your peripherals, by all means, ignore my suggestion :)

and yes, I'd rather go 970 sli than a single 980 if you really care about the extra fps. price wise the 970 sli will be a tad more expensive, but as far as value for money goes, it's a much better choice than a single 980.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That's been fixed with the ACX 2.0 revision.

OP, I would still rather go with the MSI Gaming or the Gigabyte G1, in that order. just my opinion.

15. shafat777

shafat777 Active Member

GPU:
    2x Gtx 980 SC 4GB SLI
    If you're interested in GTX 980, the I would go with Evga Acx2.0. Recently bought two of these puppies and havent looked back since. These cards rock. Evga implemented the no fan spin until 50c in order to perform at total silence. The fan kicks in 30% once it reaches above 50. For day to day use (pretty much everything except for gaming or video encoding) it is huge + as the cards don't usually go above 45 during web browsing.

If you dont like the factory settings, just use after burner to precision x to set a fan curve and ur solid from there.

If I m not mistaken, the G1 cost a lot more ($649?) vs the acx ($579 when i bought mine). Also Evga forum is a great place for support and technical help.

Just my 2 cents

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'd skip gigabyte, they were nothing but continuous problems on the 7xx series.

17. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Whenever I see these lists, it's always EVGA/MSI/GIGABYTE. Why does everyone leave out ASUS? Do ASUS cards suck or something? Bad history?

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Thats a good question, its not that Asus is bad but MSI/EVGA have better coolers (usually) and Gigabyte's have some extra features.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If you want to avoid the zero fan feature without the simple tweak in afterburner, avoid Asus and MSI.
    If you want decent performing cards, go for the Gigabyte or EVGA.
    The largest OC out of the box is on the Zotac, but other's here have stated it to not be the best option.

So it's your choice :D Not sure what other manufacturers are available at your's, but there might still be Galax and / or Inno3D and / or HIS cards around, but besides the Inno3D I'm not sure I'd try the others.

20. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    I think I'll wait for evga 980 classified. Looks like it's not easy to avoid zero fan out of the box.
    Classified speeds look promising. 1292, 1392