Gigabyte GTX 980 vs. MSI GTX 980 - best cards, but which one has the best VRM chips?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MonarchX, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    First thing first - For the love of God, people - please tell me of some secret site that sells Gigabyte and/or MSI GTX 980 for reasonable prices (not $700+ like on eBay or some unknown stores)! I will send you money for such information if it leads to purchase!
    VRM temps have been a plague since GTX 4xx I think. I know for a fact that GTX 780, Titan, and 780 Ti stock/native cards with stock PCB's had VRM's that were rated to run @ 85C - max safe temp if you look into manufacturer VRM chip data sheet. If you read reviews for those cards, especially ASUS GTX 780 Ti, you will find that during heavy loads, max VRM temp was often above 90C!!! That didn't cause these cards to die, but it surely limited their OC and they began to slowly-slowly getting cooked over time. Failure rate for these cards was still much lower than for GTX 6xx cards and GTX 5xx cards. There have been some exceptions, where this max safe temp was higher on cards with custom PCB's, such as Classified and Lightning series cards. They use higher quality VRM chips that could handle those higher temps.

Right now I want to get the best GTX 980, but I do not want to wait and spend $700+ on EVGA Classified edition. That leaves me with 2 real choices - Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 and MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G. AFAIK, both of them use custom PCB's with 2x 8-pin power ports instead of stock PCB's 2x 6-pin ones. But what about their VRM chips? I noticed that Guru3D review has tested MSI VRM chips during heavy loads with factory-boosted clocks. Those temps were excellent. Then Guru3D tested the same VRM temps during a heavy manual overclock, where VRM's still performed well, but were definitely hotter than without a heavy overclock. Gigabyte performed even better with factory-boosted clocks, BUT Guru3D did NOT test Gigabyte board VRM temps during manual overclock. That left me wondering which of the 2 cards has higher OC potential and is of higher quality. I know MSI is a great brand and recently it was used to beat World Record, but their GTX 980 comes without a backplate and VRM temps @ factory-boosted clocks were higher than Gigabyte's, weren't they? Gigabyte's card comes with backplate, is more expensive, and also uses custom VRM chips. However, Gigabyte's GTX 780 Ti was HORRID and had so many complains of people not being able to run the card even @ factory clocks. Having a bad history isn't helping...

So... both overclock well, but I surely want the one with best VRM chips. Does anyone know the max safe temp for MSI VRM chips? They use custom chips, but I don't know which temp they can handle with ease. What about Gigabyte's custom PCB VRM chips max safe temp? Can they handle more heat or less? Once again, Guru3D provided no data as to how hot Gigabyte custom VRM chips get after manual-overclocking...

Any input would be appreciated!

P.S. I noticed that Zotac made 3 or 4 versions of their GTX 980, but 2 of those versions also use custom PCB. Is there any word on how well the custom PCB versions clock? I know they are SO DAMN UGLY... ugh...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you play higher than 1080p I would grab another cheap 780ti and sli them. If you play at 1080 I would wait for a proper upgrade for a 780ti. If your upgrading just for the 1gb of extra vram, I would not bother.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    I was of your opinion until last night, so its too late for that - GTX 780 Ti has been sold! I saw how Shadow of Mordor played on R9 290 with Ultra textures and I knew what had to be done. If I would have waited until release of the big new thing from either nVidia or AMD - GTX 780 Ti would have fallen in price so much that a used one would be worth a lot less than it is today. I wanted to maximize my chances. If need be - I will sell GTX 980 when time comes, but it will surely go for a LOT more than GTX 780 Ti. Sticking to my GTX 780 Ti had some sense as an idea, but buying another GTX 780 Ti would be plain stupid for ME that is. I doubt I will ever go SLI unless they come out a truly good monitor like Eizo Foris FG2421 that has much lower input lag than 19ms.

Seeing how there is a SEVERE shortage of GTX 980 cards and very high demand from all those with GTX 580/680/770, I expect prices to go up. We've all taken Econ 101 and know of the supply & demand relationship :D. Besides, Shadow of Mordor got away with 6GB VRAM requirement, although it does just fine with 4GB of VRAM and that's at 1080p. It was poorly ported either - those ARE 4K textures and they sure as hell look lovely! Other games will follow shortly.

P.S. For the love of God, people - please tell me of some secret site that sells Gigabyte and/or MSI GTX 980 for reasonable prices (not $700+ like on eBay or some unknown stores)! I will send you money for such information if it leads to purchase!

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    So your upgrading for the extra 1gb vram at 1080, I would of held out for 8gb 980 coming out soon so you wont run out of vram for like 5 years.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I give up on this forum. Hilbert, can I please have my account removed permanently? I'm 100% serious. I'm done here.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  7. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Keeping the same card for 5 years? No way. I think 2-3 is where it is at if you want to keep up with gaming demands. Besides, I know I am not going to spend $1000 on such a high-end card and even if I could, it would've been AFTER Witcher 3 and all those games come out.

Is the 8GB GTX 980 a rumor or 100% true? It would cost more than $650, which means no go for me either.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Just tell me where to get MSI or Gigabyte GTX 980 with custom PCB before you leave, please!

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, not going to bother with that sh1te. I'm done. It's been 10 years and it's been mostly good. I'm not upset at all, I just can't bear myself to read this forum any more, it's flooded with crap. If Hilbert doesn't terminate my account can someone tell me how I can cancel my account please?

11. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    U also from holland like myself right ?
    Then check this here m8, this is the cheapest gigabyte gtx 980 i found.

http://www.smitshop.nl/gf-gv-n980g1-gaming-4gd-pcie34gb-gddr5.html
    Its only for a while that price, after awhile the normal prices will be up again.
    First new delivery will be this wednesday, so be quick xD

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Dont let a few slack jawed yokels drive you away from this place man. OK more than a few but you get my drift.

13. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Actually I just refreshed this page because I JUST ordered one and as soon as I have, it went to "Usually ships within 1-3 months" but on my invoice it says "Scheduled delivery for Oct. 29" which is in 3 days! Wooptee-doobies! I purchased mine from Amazon LLC and now the only seller for that same price of $584 is Amazon.com. I take it LLC means it was actually available in one of warehouses..?

I know you think I'm lying, but I'm not!

14. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    No, I'm from... well I live in USA now, but I heard a lot of about Holland, like the greeting "Holla!" that means "Hello!" right..? :stewpid: :D :D :D

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I asked hilbert the same thing about my account. He explained to me just to chill and relax and report the button pushers or uneducated retards as I like to call them.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Honestly, what is there to report in this thread ?

Why can't this thread be posted ? What am I missing here eclap ?

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sure he was just kidding eclap, take it easy man. :D

:)

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    We all know that there are no secret VRM's that come along with any manufacturer. I think Eclap is just alittle fed up at reading posts like that even though not really reportable he is probably thinking along these lines as we all do at times.

[​IMG]

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    There was some name calling and insults that disappeared conveniently.

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Fair enough and we have seen enough of these type of posts from users like MonarchX.

So Eclap, you want MonarchX gone from the forums ? You get to decide whether his account is terminated or not. Let me know and I will push that button for the greater good of the community and getting it normal. But it will be your decision.

INSTG8R -> yes I cleaned this thread up from some small smears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.