NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Hmmm it still doesn't seem right that 4xMSAA would cause stuttering if you aren't using any texture mods. The official hires pack shouldn't make that much of a difference. If you want to know for sure, download MSI Afterburner and setup the on screen display to show you GPU usage, temp, FPS, and VRAM usage. It's possible 4xMSAA was giving you stutters from poor performance, although unlikely given your GPUs. V-Sync would be the culprit there if that is somehow the case. An SLI setup will also increase heat a lot, possibly enough that your card could be throttling, which would need to be fixed ASAP. Basically, MSI Afterburner is a great tool for identifying problems due to hardware shortcomings.

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    @ZabaZuu - Well playing without vsync would be ideal but it causes the physics to go crazy.Will try again just to be sure.With the HiRes DLC, SFO & Real Water Two and a few others including Dynavision I think my VRAM maxes out at 1.7gb depending where I'm at, usually hovers around 1.5gb.With an acceptable form of AA on top of that I think is the max my gpus can do without causing stutter.I'll also try cleaning the dirty plugins and see if it helps but as is I'm satisfied with the look except of course for the AA lol! Temps are good across the board, always monitoring them.I'll just keep experimenting until I'm satisfied!

3. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Alright. If you modified U-grids, that could also be an issue. It's most likely some sort of mod conflict. If you don't already, use BOSS to organize your mod load order. You should probably get the stuttering sorted out before experimenting with AA haha.

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You can't enhance or force TrSSAA with 2x2 OGSSAA, since this SSAA mode doesn't contain any MSAA samples for TrSSAA to utilize.
    MSAA and TrSSAA/SGSSAA must always be used together :)
    To do what you are asking, you would need something like 16xS (2x2 OGSSAA + 4xMSAA) + 4xTrSSAA, or alternatively 8xSQ (2x2 OGSSAA + 2xMSAA) + 2xTrSSAA.
    But this is quite demanding in most modern titles, and would use too much VRAM in Skyrim with high res texture mods.

Instead I recommend running at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 and forcing 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA or 8xQ MSAA+8xSGSSAA with "0x000002C1" (MSAA, FXAA and DoF should be disabled ingame):
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10184469

If this is too demanding or uses too much VRAM for your system, then enhancing the ingame MSAA setting with SGSSAA also gives a nice result.
    But of course not as perfect as with forced SGSSAA with "2C1" ;)

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    its in nvidia control panel, global settings.

tested this one in Ziggurat, another Unity game. It was a bit too blurry compared to 0x0040010C1.

I also tested DSR, and it seems to be a better choice for Unity. Much better performance with less blur.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Yea I tried 8xQ MSAA with regular transparency multisampling and it was a bit of a load.On the upside though I tried the SMAA injector on ultra and that seems to have cured my cell transition pauses and the quality is excellent for me.Thanks ZabaZuu for the suggestion.Game running perfectly smooth with Ugrids 7.:)

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Again, screenshots needed :3eyes:

8. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I know, I always forget to take them while testing, and then after that I am too time sensitive. I'll try to get the screenies done later today.

9. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Holy crap DSR combined with medium/high smaa is a wonderful combination.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Ziggurat comparison album DSR (3x or 2910x1819 33% smoothness)vs 2 different AA bits (4x SGSSAA).

resampled the DSR shots to native res with Lanczos filter.

from top left to right 2 pics each, DSR, 0x004010C1, 0x004000C1 as the descriptions don't stick and sign up fails...

http://min.us/m1Gd4nDEHtrab

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I don't believe DSR shots since there is no way to capture the post-resolve information.

When you get screenshots, all you are getting is the same raw framebuffer pre resolve, It's not going to look any different than if you captured the same shot as with driver downsampling. The Gaussian filter isn't applied until the downscaling stage anyway.

But in my testing, DSR still has temporal aliasing and some shader aliasing issues. They are just less noticeable. But they are there.

I'd still take 4xSGSSAA in most games over DSR if SGSSAA works properly without issues.

12. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Does it not capture it if you run the game in window mode and press Alt+Print Screen? That's what you have to do to capture driver forced FXAA.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I can capture FXAA simply with Print screen and paste it into photoshop.

But the framebuffer is still going to be at the pre-downsampling resolution.

Because the game still thinks it's running at that. Your display resolution is switched to that as well.

It's not like with GeDoSaTo where you are still running display res.

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

Yeah, but its clear that in Unity engine SGSSAA bits we have are not ideal.

I much prefer DSR in this case.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  15. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Lords of Fallen?

16. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    It's DX11 only, so your only options are SMAA through SweetFX, built-in AA (which is actually pretty damn good for my first impressions minus temporal aliasing), and downsampling.

EDIT: I take what I said back about the built-in AA. It isn't very good. It handles jaggies in motion better than FXAA and maybe SMAA (seems comparable), but it misses so much. It doesn't have a lot of blurring from what I can tell, so that's good, but it leaves much to be desired.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    My recommendation would then be DSR+In game AA +Driver FXAA . With the smoothness turned down with DSR, this should produce decent results.

18. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    I used driver FXAA and it didn't benefit much at all. The game has a lot of temporal aliasing that FXAA basically smears and doesn't fix. Of course, the in-game settings aren't actually changing correctly, so that may not be so bad when they fix that. The PC version of this game is awful in its current state if you can't tell. There is also a massive memory leak, so DSR would be counter-productive :p My RAM usage reached 10GB in 30 minutes of play lol.

19. Voodooman

Voodooman Member

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX 680 4gb
    Hey, guys, i remember that in a last year with some driver release via Windows update, nvidia accidentally pushed internal tool to edit AA compatibility bits for profiles.
    Not like Nvidia Inspector, which only tells number of bit and list profiles that has it enabled, this tool actually had detailed explaination of what every bit does.

I downloaded it and uses for a while, then lost it and now im trying to find it out again.

I have few questions:

1) How was it named?

2) Can anyone share most recent version?

3) Why its not included in OP and generally forgotten by everyone?

If you care to asnwer, please send me pm with link to your answer, so i can get e-mail and see that.

Oh, one more thing, it seems that there is a lot of misunderstanding of how DSR works and how it calculates resolutions, i explained it here

and requested nvidia to change the formulat of calculation from doubling overall number of pixels to doubling actual resolution.

They calculate DSR resolution like that:

Sqrt([Overall Pixels]*[Aspect ratio]*[Factor]) x Sqrt([Overall Pixels]/[Aspect ratio]*[Factor])
    sqrt((Width*Height)*(Width/Height)*Factor) x sqrt((Width*Height)/(Width/height)*Factor)
    sqrt((1680*1050)*(1680/1050)*2) x sqrt((1680*1050)/(1680/1050)*2)

And if you expect double resolution, not pixels, you should use what Nvidia calls 4x DSR, which is actually a 2x downsampled resolution.

There is also a huge list of improvements everyone of us WANTS and NEEDS to see with DSR, please visit that thread on Nvidia forum, keep it bumped, sign it so nvidia can always see it and see how many people wants to see such improvements. At the moment DSR is nothing but dissapointment, since its impossible to use with resolutions others than native and since it disable custom resolutions.
    From Nvidia i expected something like lowe level interception of requested resolution on driver level and rendering everything at doubled of requested resolutions, not stupid high level extra resolutions list that not even supported by about half of games.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ok. First of all you are wrong.

4xDSR is quadruple the pixels. Which IS ACTUALLY 4x Resolution.

Amount of resolution is not based on width and height alone. It's based on the resulting number of pixels from that multiple. Without the number of pixels, the resolution is not defined as anything. This is why you see camera's advertised with "10Mpix sensor!" Because it can capture pictures with 10 million pixels of resolution, which if a 16:9 aspect ratio, the resulting picture will be in the neighborhood of 4224x2376 without rounding

I've mentioned this several times.

They need to add a tool tip to EXPLAIN this to people.

4xDSR = 4xResolution
    2x2 native resolution =4x Resolution because 2 x 2 = 4 , therefore 4x as many pixels is double the width and height of native resolution.
    This is also why the resolution of the PSVita is called Quarter High Definition
    It's one quarter the resolution of 1080p even though it's WxH are only 1/2 of it.

So your observations are unfortunately backwards.

And Nvida's ratios are ENTIRELY mathematically correct.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014