AMD price Cuts and Game Bundles For Desktop APUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD is cutting prices on some of their desktop APUs, in specific it is the AMD’s 7000 Kaver, 6000 Richland and 5000 Trinity series of APUs that see some interesting cuts. The prices below t...

AMD price Cuts and Game Bundles For Desktop APUs

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    AMD Apus have the threads half numbered compared to the cores? I never realized :gape:
    Or is this a typo?

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol must be a typo...:)

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I believe the 7850k is at the price it should have been released at now 180$ was a little pricy for an apu.

5. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    going to wait for next gen APU's before upgrading my A10-6800K which is a little beast for what it is, I like the A10-7850k but not worth the upgrade to me atm.

6. WoenK

WoenK Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    hmmm...can not see anything about half the threads, one is the CPU cores and the other the graphic compute units...

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    heeh that's what I thought ? had me scratching my head.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's been corrected.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    All prices went down to clear shelves.

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I think that AMD has made a critical mistake in pushing out APUs in preference to x86 cpus & chipsets for the last two years. AMD's PC-chip divisions are showing an income reflective of what AMD has put into them for the last couple of years--very little. The first of 2014 without a doubt should have had seen new x86 core logic chipsets and Steamroller-based x86 cpus. Intel's latest quarter was one for the records and the company attributes most of its income and profits to the very area AMD has seemingly abandoned: its x86 PC chips division.

I've been ready to buy a new motherboard and cpu from AMD since the middle of 2013, but the company hasn't obliged me and is still selling the same things I bought over two years ago. It would be tragic indeed if AMD simply chose not to compete any longer...

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yeah thats true, their only succesful cpu's lately have been the 8300 series and 6000 series and thats like only 5% compared to Intel's success atm.

Don't even get me started on the 9k FX series. Getting a mobo where that fits in costs you more than a decent Intel cpu which slaps the 9K FX back into prehistoric-era.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD has already backed out of the high-end market. Their products are all entry-level, budget and mainstream. AMD's most successful CPU products are their APU's. AMD has a very limited budget and has to focus on markets where they get the highest sales volume, which unfortunately is where their APUs are. Right now, they're just trying to survive while they develop an entirely new architecture that will hopefully be able to better compete.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    AMD made killing on Llano.
    It is their most successful product in this decade - by far.

And they prolly lost just as much of potential income due to supply issues, bad forecast.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Overclockers doing 290s for £199, a cracking price that :D

15. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I was recently researching the APU's as I had just a thought. I was wondering if AMD would sell a fully enabled ps4 apu outside of the system to be used in a kick ass HTPC. Just instead of 8 core jaguar which are weak cpu's replace that with 4 core kaveri class cpu's and all 20 CU's enabled instead of 18.

If amd made a 4 core kaveri class cpu + 20 CU integrated gpu basically full desktop 7870 all crammed into an APU that's available for separate purchase instead of only inside a ps4. They would have something truly amazing for HTPC builders or for an awesome steam box.

It's crazy to think AMD can actually implement a desktop 7870 inside an APU. Obviously lower clocks than the 7870 but pretty damn close performance to a desktop 7870 inside an apu. Shame that they will not produce this for the PC market tho. I looked and there isn't a single peep about them doing this. I wonder why they don't do it. Are they afraid of cannibalizing their gpu sales or something? Or is it too expensive to make a 350mm2 apu chip? Or not a good enough yield with so many transistors? If they can make em for the ps4 I don't see why they couldn't tweak it with 4 more powerful cpu's instead of 8 less powerful and the same 20 cu gpu just fully enabled from the ps4's 18.

How much would you guys pay for a quad core kaveri class apu with the ps4's gpu but fully enabled 20 cu instead of 18?