iFixit Disassembles iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    5k display paired with a Radeon with 2gb of video ram?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. you can go for the 4gb model, just like you can go with the i7 rather than the i5, but even 4gb for 5k would be pretty piss poor. If you're talking about gaming at 5k that is. It is a mac afterall so most buyers of this product wont care so much for gaming.

4. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Wow, I mean who would pay money for this overpriced crap, for 2500 $ I can assemble an enthusiast end PC along with all the peripherals and a 144hz Gsync monitor.

5. lantian

lantian Guest

its apple they are always overprice because people who dont know any better will buy them, i mean there is so little performance in it that it just blows my mind, and the gpu compared to desktop models is something like a 7950, which is far to low to drive anything taxing @5k resolution

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The one market Apple knows probably better than anyone is the sucker market--the no-knowledge, but money-to-burn crowd. Why anyone with a dollop of sense would buy a "5k" iMac is beyond me utterly...;) What a waste of money!

7. esposimi

esposimi Guest

GPU:
    GT755M 2GB
    The i7 model uses the 4790K, FYI

8. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Are you serious? Other 5k monitors are $2500 with no hardware in them at all.

9. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    I'am dead serious. Who would right in their mind pay such massive amount of money for that overpriced crap?
    I can get a 28'' 4k display for 460 euro right now.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Someone who wants a 5K screen and integrated computer? Dell sells just the screen for $2500, so I fail to see how this is overpriced.

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    outrageous pricing for "other" 5k monitors is only temporary (apple probably bought a massive stock of panels from LG at good deal).

to see how stupid apple prices really are we can start by comparing apple thunderbolt 1440p display at insane 999$ price and compare that to other, much better quality 1440p displays at much better price.

and to people who buy this imac all i gotta say is enjoy your lag. mobile gpu paired with a 5K monitor, oh yeah that's gonna work out just fine :grin:

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm scratching my head and wondering why people in this forum seem to believe this product is aimed at gamers. This might come as a bit of a shock to some of you, but the majority of PC users don't play games. The Apple hate is a bit ridiculous also, I've literally just read a comment where someone claims Apple is worse than other companies delivering 5K monitors because they're doing it for the same price with hardware included.

I'm not keen on Apple products because I don't personally have a use for them, but a lot of people do. We're not just talking about trend setting either, there's a lot of professional users out there that have very good reasons for using MAC's.

13. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    I beg to differ. Everyone I know who is proficient with computers games on it. And they must not be smart enough to know there is cheaper better alternatives to apple products.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What monitor compares? I don't even think there is any other monitors with those specs. Hazro is the only other company I know of that sells something similar with a ambient light sensor and whatnot.

Also most people that buy these macs use it for desktop/office stuff, not gaming or professional work. So I guess they won't enjoy their lag?

Everyone I know doesn't game on it. Boom.

It's the same crap with Windows 8 and mobile computing, etc. 99% of people on here can't see a use past what they typically do on their computer or what they use their device for. Everyone is "too dumb" or some other nonsense crap.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's probably because your circle of friends is gamer related, aka enthusiasts. I know a hell of a lot of people that use computers on a professional level (Rendering, Audio Work, Editing, Programming etc) that never play games, and possibly never will outside of perhaps minesweeper. The majority of computers in use on the planet are by people doing things unrelated to computer games, and that is a fact. Plain and simple. Having that sort of screen real estate would be fantastic for a number of reasons, and frankly I don't see the problem with the price.

It reminds me of that thread where people were asked to rate their computer knowledge, remember that?

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    ...People who actually need as much resolution / pixel density as they can get on a desktop monitor?

Two totally different markets...

Let's think outside the box for a bit these upcoming years.

17. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    This isn't even a subjective thing, you are objectively wrong.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    To be blunt, you're an idiot.

Considering 5K monitors ALONE cost more than the 5k iMac... Right..

19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I can't think of *one* good reason a "professional" would buy an iMac at all--unless he knows nothing about available x86 hardware--and in that case I would not call him a "professional" because a professional would make it his business to know hardware well enough to be able to buy it on his own without resort to either Dell or Apple, frankly. And please--when people criticize something Apple makes it really sounds so immature to talk about "hating"--it's just good, solid, justifiable criticism. Criticism has always been hard for Apple to take, for some reason, thus the childish "hater" name-calling to ridiculously try and shame people into keeping their mouths shut. I think it's very silly. (I'm almost as critical of Microsoft when I think it's warranted.)

And please--"5k" is at the moment just a marketing gimmick--"4k" monitors are available without the tiny little surface-mount *motherboard* stuffed inside the monitor enclosure--for $800 in the US and soon they'll be even lower-priced I've no doubt. Why on *earth* would I want my hardware inside that tiny little enclosure--which obviously isn't designed to let me upgrade my hardware? Completely inferior design, imo--great for Apple's bottom line--sucks for the customer's bottom line, though. But like I say, you have to be a bit knowledgeable to understand that; or, you can remain a faux "professional" and continue to be a docile and obedient Apple customer. I've disliked one-piece designs since they originated in the 1980's (and they weren't Macs, either.) Most "professionals" eschew one-piece case designs because...what happens to your computer if you have to take your monitor in for repair...or what happens to your monitor if you have to take your computer in for service? And that's besides all of the problems with upgrading the hardware and so forth.

And let's not even talk about factory warranty durations...Apple is way down on the curve there, too.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay, this thread was good a little iLaugh...
    The same crowd uses the same logic for those of us who bought TITAN GPU...
    Don't hate us because..... ha ha...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.