blend test keeps freezing/BSODing (4790k overclocking)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MToguro, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    trying to have my system run at 4.4ghz on all these tests stable

haven't had a problem with it at all at 4.3 in games and other stress tests (fft, aida64) at 1.12 volts and 2400mhz on the memory

upping it to 4.4 I increased the vcore all the way to 1.27 and it still keeps freezing. even put the ram down to 2133mhz @ CL10

im just not sure if I should keep increasing the vcore from here or if it's not the cpu but the memory? trying to find the stable voltage for 4.4 and I don't want to put the vcore too much higher.

temps go to 72 on the stress tests

help much appreciated :)

2. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    You probably got a bad chip. No matter what vcore you throw at it for 4.4ghz I'm fairly sure it will still be unstable. My chip is the same I can only do 4.2 on it

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You can try higher cpu current (amperage) & higher cpu system agent voltage (extra 0.020 - 0.040v+ offset)

What about cpu cache frequency and its voltage? To high/not enough voltage can also cause system freezes & bsod wmea 0x124 (hal.dll), sometimes its just goes to one value and you can't OC more, unless you lower system ram OC.. But I saw ie 4.2ghz vs 4.5ghz there is almost no difference, if you're ok @ 4.2ghz keep it that way.

4. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    I tired down locking the ram all the way to 1600 from 2400 and it ran for about 20 minutes perfectly stable. Seems fine when the memory downclocks.

I managed to get it at 1.16 cvolt stable with 1800mhz on the memory. Any higher it freezes/bsods.

The ram won't run at above 1800mhz even with vcore pushing 1.25. Even with 1.65 ram volt it won't run at 1866. Have it at 1.61 on 1800

I didn't to the other volt settings for the cpu.

Is it worth it to ramp up the cpu volt so much to get the memory running at 2400mhz as opposed to 1800?

I've been out of it for a while just got back into my nerd mode so i forgot how come the ram isn't stable running near its rated speed when u oc the cpu? Is that normal?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

5. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Don't mean to bump an old thread but I notice you have an MSI board and using g.skill ram and thought I'd give a heads up.

I have also been having some really weird issues since I put this pc together where cpu burns where stable but tests like asus realbench and some heavy hitting games would randomly crash. Even freakin memtest was passing with flying colors. Tried stock clocks, bumping voltages, combinations on everything and nothing would work.

Anyways, I found the sticky on the msi forums warning of g.skill ram and recommending running all of it at 1600mhz. That appeared to do the trick for me but it was not something I would live with after paying almost $200 for the ram. So I decided to try some corsair 2133 and have had absolutely zero issues even with the cpu at 4.7 and the ram at 2133.
    Hope this helps and warns others on msi and g.skill combos

6. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    Interesting. So you think it's just a bad combo?

Cuz my friend just built a rig too he got the same ram except on a different motherboard and it seems to work fine. From what I hear and seen this is really good memory.

For now I'm just running it @ 1800mhz.

Might get 2x8gb in the future for 16gb so when I do that maybe I'll go with a different brand and see how that compares.

I can get it 4.6 stable with these settings at 1.26v it seems. Except my temps hit 100...

(hyper 212 evo)

think I'll just stick with 4.4 on 1.17 volts lol max temps there is 86

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    GSkill memory is just fine sometimes you just get a certain model of mobo that decides to be flaky with certain memory.Sometimes they sort it out with a bios update sometimes if it isn't widespread enough they don't bother.

8. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Yeah its good memory, especially the trident stuff. My guess is that you need to play with the cpu voltages to get it stable at 2133+. If you do wish to try to get the ram up there, there are a few voltages you can try.
    Give these a shot just to to test it out. If stable you can start lowering slowly until you get errors.
    cpu sa@1.050v
    cpu io analog@1.100v
    cpu io digital@1.150v

Also make sure you have the latest bios. pretty sure all msi z97's got one a couple of days ago

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    It does suck a bit having 2400mhz ram and only running them at 1800, but what actual performance difference do you think there is between 1800-2400?

And thanks I'll try changing those later on I'll see if that stabilizes it

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090

11. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    Wow those BF4 results are pretty substantial..

Anyways tried running it @ 2400 w/ those SA and IO settings. Froze on prime95 blend test had to restart.

I noticed though on CPU-Z it's showing my maximum bandwidth under SPD as PC3-12800 (800MHz) which is 1600mhz speed.

Is that normal? It should show PC3-19200 @ 1200MHz?

Clocked to 2133 now running another test

Update: It Crashed on 2133 as well. But here's something interesting

Kept all the same settings and I was going to downclock to 1866 to see if that would run stable, but before doing that I enabled XMP Profile 1.

Now I'm running it again @ 2133 and it hasn't crashed at all so far. At the least, it's the longest it's gone without freezing or BSoDing. About 10 minutes in now (every other crash was within 2 minutes)

A little confused here though because even though I enabled XMP and to profile 1 (it was disabled before) all the settings are still manually set: Ram speed, voltages, etc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Make sure the settings are on auto when you run xmp(cpu too for now). You can override settings even with xmp if you manually set them. Also what is vring voltage and does your ram have more than one profile?

13. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    Went into work now so I'm not sure I'll check the vring when I get home but I haven't touched that one yet so pretty sure its on auto.

If I leave it all on auto it just changes the values according to Xmp? I'm assuming that's what happened since 2133 ran the test over 30 mins perfectly stable now with profile 1 enabled. Probably adjusted the auto values of certain settings. Still with xmp it crashes almost instantly at anything above 2133.

And yea it shows profile 1 and profile 2

14. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    It's funny.. I had it stable at 4.8ghz for months. Until one day I get a blue screen. Then again the day after. Then it was fine for a few weeks then again. So I downclocked it to 4.7ghz.