Post pics of your windows theme/wallpaper (Part 6)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Feb 23, 2012.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Rearranged the room so I can get more sun during rain season. Tried to make a see through wallpaper. Close enough..

[​IMG]

2. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Hey that's a really cool idea FULMTL, nice wallpaper.

Now, is that whisky or apple juice?

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Only the finest 100% Apple juice.

4. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti

The nerd in me is wondering if you've dedicated a camera to keeping it live. :nerd:

5. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    I have Windows 8.1 and it seems like there is no way to use custom themes, even though I use UxStyle. I simply can't find any truly custom themes!

I mostly want to do just ONE thing - replace icons with the Metro icons I downloaded. They are all in one single .bmp file that is located inside Extra folder. There is also another folder called Resources and a file Pack.ini. Resources folder contains .dll.res files like imageres.dll.res . How in the world do I apply these icons??? Does anyone know of other easy to install bloatware-free icon packs? I like FLAT icons because Windows 8.1 Metro and regular desktop are both very flat, but icons used aren't. Of course a massive flat icon pack that has icons even for popular apps would be most amazing, but system icons would do just fine too! Flat themes I love too!

Please help me out and link me to some place that has such flat icons and themes and also tells you exactly how to make it work with Windows 8.1! I'm talking about 3rd party themes - not the ones from Microsoft site, which aren't so bad either, but they are all generic-Windows-based.

7. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    How do you replace all system ICONS in Windows 8.1 when they come in a single .bmp file? I only found a guide for Windows 7 here - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28847/how-to-customize-your-windows-7-taskbar-icons-for-any-app/ but it doesn't even tell you how to do when all icons are in a single .bmp file...

Thanks for sharing though!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  10. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    good thread.

thats my desktop how i had it before i went to trying out w10 (its from march 2015)

[​IMG]

and thats from today, i went back to w7 about 4 weeks ago. i didnt have time yet to get my litestep integrated but thats to come. i don't know yet if i will revert to my desk from last year or design something completely new.
    thats just a base, eye friendly setup for the time being.

[​IMG]

old one was with two 1080p screens.
    new one is only one 1080p and one portrait 1600x1200 on the left, thats why the pic looks so strange. but i need it for... reasons... :nerd:

11. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yes, Windows 8 and 10 dont support hard shell modding. It's a shame that you have to use the GUI that the programmers want you to use.
    Thats one smaller reason why I went back to W7.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yes they do. UxTheme-ing works fine on Win 8 and 10. In fact, they have a slight extra in that they can skin the explorer nav buttons without modding system resources (well besides the UXtheme patch).
    It is a little involved so only attempt if you know what you are doing.

Windows 10 related
    http://www.cleodesktop.com/2015/11/install-uxthemepatcher-for-windows-10.html
    https://skinpacks.com/uxthemepatcher-for-windows-10-version-1511-10586/#comments
    Windows 10 Themes
    http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/windows/win10/

Windows 8/8.1 is a little simpler (just as easy as 7)
    http://www.windowsxlive.net/uxtheme-multi-patcher/
    Windows 8 themes
    http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/customization/skins/windows/windows8/visualstyles8/

Or, if you don't mind paying some money, WindowBlinds automates the whole process, works on Windows 10.
    http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

There are a bunch of icon pack/changers out there, one popular one is Iconpackager. There was one free one that worked perfectly for Windows 8 but It's been a while, can't remember.

13. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    If you read my post I was talking about hard shell modding.
    Which is resource file modification. Mainly of shell32.dll but also other files are involved.
    Which is not possible since W8 anymore, since access to that has been binary encrypted. (-> http://www.eightforums.com/customization/65748-possible-mod-shell32-dll-windows-8-1-a.html)
    And no one is willing to do the effort of reverse engineering/decrypting it.

Also I know the children toys from stardock. Thx. But that's not shellmodding. These are "theme management tools"
    Thats a software for people who don't know how to handle/create/enable themes or change icons in Windows and does it for them and offers "themes" or asorted "icon packs" to download, nothing more. And people pay for that.

What I am talking about is changing 100% of the GUI elements by doing shell32 modification. Like the picture of my desk in my previous post.
    [​IMG]

What it means is that apart from the things that W8 and W10 allows you to switch, like icons and colors and basic appearance (wallpapers), you can't rearrange / resize / remove many fixed GUI elements anymore.

=> all desktops will look the same to a certain extend. like on OS X...
    that's the way microsoft took.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm sure you will excuse my confusion once you realize that Mr. MonarchX's 2 year old post's first sentence stated "I have Windows 8.1 and it seems like there is no way to use custom themes, even though I use UxStyle."

Our friend Monarch was not attempting your complicated UI modding. In fact what was trying to accomplish was possible on Windows 8.1, both the UXthemeing and changing icons.
    Which makes your response to him (2 years later) very confusing when you are talking about two different things.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Oh....like BlackBox 4 Windows?

16. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    He said:

And I answered -> "Yes, Windows 8 and 10 dont support hard shell modding."

Pretty clear solitary statement from my side, isn't it? Never said anything about not being able to use icon packs or wallpaper/themepack sites...

If you expect me to check the posting date of every post before I answer.
    Then it's not too much if I expect of others as well to read my post before starting with anti-speech. Right?

Exactly, Blackbox or Litestep or even self-made customization of the shell32. dll and consorts

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nah, bbLean, LiteStep, ect, should all still run fine.
    None of those modify system files, they are rather basic.
    They do no edit or replace anything. They just run on top of explorer.

@yes vase, I can tell you latched on to the words "truly custom themes", I suspected as much.
    The point is, this person was a novice, and reading the content of his post revealed he was having issues applying simple UXthemes and changing icons for applications (because he was using the wrong bitmap meant for a packager).

He attempted to follow a guide that he complained was for Windows 7, but the process is the same for every Windows OS after 2000 to change a shortcut's icon. We were not even getting to the modifying part, the only themes he found were the Windows themes from Microsoft (aka, wallpaper packs).

In the end, it's all semantics. You are arguing with me to offer the wrong information to a person who jumped ship years ago. So yeah, post date does make a difference.

Learn to forum. Be kinder.
    Stop being so easily offended. I'm not saying you are incorrect in saying that Windows 8 and 10 are harder to modify, even UXthemes are harder on 10.

You misread an old post, I pointed it out. No need to feel embarrassed.

18. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    They work, but not to full extent as their previous Win 7 / XP pendants.
    W8 / 10 cant be fully shell modded anymore. Thats all I said, why do you try to talk against it?

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -