Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    [​IMG]

Obligatory It'sHappening.gif

Source (German PCGH)

Though, it has to be said that this is only for the FirePro cards. If this option will find it's way to the normal catalyst is the question of the year.

2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Oh man, that made my day, don't understand any german, but as they say - a picture says a thousand words... can't wait :D

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Wow, that'll be real nice!

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    AMD Downsampling such a headache to make it work

.difference between cards on how to make it work
    .need very specific drivers
    .very specific hacks
    .the "We are working on it" hype

Am a huge fan of downsampling, but getting AMD hardware to do anything via they drivers (and available) tools is a complete headache.

I am personally off the AMD bandwagon (since my AMD 6950 card stopped working), ordered one Nvidia 760 (based on suggestions; as I didn't care about the 11-15% slower FPS against 7950's/R9_280's, only cared about stuff working in the first place).

Bye guys..
    Note: Always liked the Sparse Rotated Grid SSAA option on AMD cards, but they only worked if MSAA worked in the first place.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Thank you for your valuable Downsampling feedback!

Feel free to make your own choices, but I don't see why we need to hear a story about how you're going to the "other team"...

6. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    dam cant wait them if its really going to be in cat 14.20 not that long to wait lol

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I downsampled on my U2140 and 2880* 1880 and after a short while it stopped working at that resolution. I think that it damages the monitors internals tbh. I would be careful when downsampling.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Don't get your hopes up guys AMD rep Warsam71 over at OC.net says no custom res option is coming to cat drivers at this time.....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1511486/...iver-special-submission-form/20#post_22822113

Maybe AMD need am exit poll so they'll know just how many ppl are dumping them and heading back to Nv just because of downsampling.

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    ^:bang:

Oh well, at least we still have GeDoSaTo.

10. bihariel

bihariel Guest

GPU:
    bihariel
    great guides

11. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    wowzers.....

NVIDIA is implementing downsampling similar to gedosato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUSYaa6C9s#t=92

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-improves-your-games-with-4k-quality-graphics

they're calling it "dynamic super resolution" which will support dx11 as well

AMD is still lagging behind in this regard, which is why i may consider going green for my next card.

12. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    yeah, and durante is currently working on dx11 support. so that's good news.

13. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Hey guys. Can someone please give me monitor.ini file which will work with regedit downsampling (2560x1600)? I change in regedit but keep saying cannot display this resolution. Please help!

14. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    Well now that NVIDIA are sort of making this thing a big deal and oh so revolutionary, AMD might have no choice but to implement their own feature of it too or else it separates AMD from the competition, giving NVIDIA the upper hand.

15. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    The published settings here and in other forums didn't work for me (maybe using Hdmi via an AVR have something to do with that), but blindly changing values just out of pure frustration I managed to get 2720x1530@60 on my 290X using these settings:

[​IMG]

Now I would like to add more options like:

2720x1530@50

2560x1440@60

How can I do that?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

16. caskad

caskad Guest

GPU:
    HD4890
    Hello,

manage to get some good downsampling with 12.11 and GUI 1.6 on win 8.1 and of course this thread :)

But i need some help:

what is the true last driver working with DownSampling GUI?

I ve tried GeDosaTo and it works well on DX9, but, it can provide better résolution??

Why?

Thx

17. Gabdullah

Gabdullah Guest

Downsampling surely works with Cat 14.7 rc1. Don`t know about newer Cat...

18. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    I am on most recent 14.9.1 beta and stil works. I had to change the posted hex values for it to work in my system, but it was the same last time I tried in 14.4.

I have 2720x1530@60, anybody knows how to add more resolutions?

19. Gabdullah

Gabdullah Guest

Just repeat step with adlutil.exe and addcustomresolution.bat. Then modify respected string in registry adding new values.

20. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    I tried, repeating the same process just alters the values of the Reg I already have, does not create a new one.

I remember seeing larger Regs from other people that included several resolutions, but I don't know how to mix several resolutions into the same reg key.