Google Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 Unleashed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you don't need the latest Nexus goodies in terms of software, Note 4 has pretty much similar specs.

Over here, Note prices used to plummet soon after release. On the release date, Note 3 was around $930 in Poland (converted to USD at that day's exchange rate), and I got mine for around $570 in December, which was pretty soon after the release (brand new, unpacked, invoice etc). It may be similar case with Note 4. I'm not going to replace 3 for 4, as it's just too good, but if one's looking for a good big phone, Note 4 is definitely one of the best options if you don't need Nexus branding. Also, LG G3 may be an interesting "budget" alternative.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    Nexus since the beginning for me. Even still have my G1. Looks like my N4 and N7 will be the last of it :( Both devices are too large and too expensive for me. Guess the "too good to be true" days are over.

Nvidia Shield will be next for me it looks like. Phone? I'll just run this N4 into the ground.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Stock android all the way, been waiting for this tablet. More pricey than I'd have hoped for, but I suppose the spec is pretty top notch.

Samsung make nice hardware, but I hate TouchWiz. Motorola did a really good job with their software, very minimalistic.

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Huh My comment got deleted!

Anyway's nexus 6 will be my next phone I love my current nexus 4 and it's awesome that its officially getting lolipop! but after using phones like the LG G3 and the galaxy note 3 I'm really itching for a bigger screen.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I'm looking forward to the Nexus 9. Question. Will existing apps and games still be compatible with the Nexus 9 even though it's a different chipset?

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yes, most apps are already 64bit compatible and quite a few are native 64bit.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Good to know! I was worried that some things would not work any more as they were written based on different CPU/GPU.

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's why I run Nova Launcher - it does the job without irritating me. Still, I'd like to change the settings menus to stock Android.

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    N6 is way too big for me and a little bit too pricey. Im happy with N5 anyway, update it to Lollipop and i will be a happy man!

N9 on the other hand is looking interesting as well as Android TV.

10. Andrés

Andrés Guest

This phone has more resolution than my 22'' monitor :D

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... "Usable" phablet?

Multi screen..... seems like more of gimmick to me than anything. I mean.... it's only a 6" screen. Only really seems like a reasonable thing to use if you're doing the whole thing copying something from say Google Chrome into a note you're taking.

Stylus.... not really necessary either. My girlfriend has the Note 3, and I've only really ever seen her use the stylus around me maybe twice. The touch accuracy is nice... but to be honest I'd be perfectly fine with a cheapy Amazon stylus for how little it would ever get used.

SD card slot.... another one of those things i'm fine without. Yes, the expandable storage is nice... but i've been going for the past year with a 16GB Nexus 5, and never ran out of storage. Not really any benefit to it unless you're the type to carry a music library around with you.... which i never really saw the point to doing on a phone. Already have a plethora of music on an SD card for my car, and was never the type to have a personal soundtrack for walking around. And should i need extra storage... well... that's what my 64GB USB-OTG thumb drive is for. Yea, it's not concealed nicely in the back cover, but it's still incredibly tiny.

As for the camera, yes, it's a slightly higher MP camera on both the front and the back. Yes, Samsung's camera app has some extra little picture modes for random crap you'd probably almost never use. The only thing that interests me in the Note 4's camera ability is the high-speed video recording ability. HOPING something like that makes it to the Nexus 6. If not... oh well. It's still one of those things that even if i had it, would still probably never really have any reason to use it.

To be honest... i'd rather save the $175.

12. vajoiner

vajoiner Guest

GPU:
    Mystique G200
    you're exactly right. after sitting down for a while and really weighing the current options, i've decided to get the note 4 or edge because of the sd storage.

13. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Meh, like my OnePlus more...

CyanogenMod FTW !

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    And? Cyanogen will most likely hit the Nexus 6 with their first release of a Lollipop build.

Vajoiner: Could always do what I did with my Nexus 5... buy a USB-OTG flash drive.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, it's nearly decided for me. I'd rather buy the Nexus5 than the N6, for half the price. I don't need the resolution, and N5 will get the lollipop update too.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't like the idea if either product, a 6 inch phone is to big and I have large hands.

While I was excited for the Nexus 9, especially when i heard HTC were making it, the aspect ratio puts me right off, the advantage to apps is small while the negatives to TV and especially movies is large.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There are 3rd party camera apps available, that are likely to be much better than Samsung's included app.

Smartphones tend to have data plans and there's a few streaming services with Android apps.

Just 2 things you forgot to mention. Personally, I'd rather spend $12 on a 32GB flash drive, than $30+ on a 32GB SD card.

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ... that too.