SSDs with series SanForce SF3000 controller delayed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    SandForce previously owned by LSI and now Seagate seems to have big problems. Their SandForce SF3000 controller has been announced ever since 2013, yet it is delayed once more, now to the first half o...

SSDs with series SanForce SF3000 controller delayed

2. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    That's because Seagate now makes junk drives.

3. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    SandForce has been a hot potato for a few years now. I don't find this particularly alarming. SandForce notoriously has stability issues in their controllers: the 1000 series never was stable or reliable, the 2000 series only became universally reliable after 10 firmware updates or so. This delay is probably thanks to Seagate putting their engineers on the product to enhance to tighten it. Whatever you think about Seagate, they have highly skilled engineers and this will only be a positive.

You could say the same for OCZ - OCZ has been using the Barefoot 3 since 2012 with that other next gen controller still in development. The old OCZ would probably have it out now but as they are part of Toshiba they are probably benefiting from the same vast resources Toshiba offers.

4. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Any proof or just spouting typical fanboy trash talk?.

Anyway back to the topic who cares about LSI anymore
    i mean how much faster could this controller be could it make that
    much of a difference?.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Alot people on this forum have hard on for hating seagate ever since that firmware fiasco few years back.

I have swore by seagate for 15+ years now and of all the seagate HDD i had 1 out right failed and no longer works and that was 3 years after it out of it 5 year warranty. Cant say same about the few times i strayed from Seagate to pick up a WD or Maxtor drive those drives are all dead

I like those speeds sanforce is showing but there for pcie addons drive is this gona apply to actual SSD?

When are SSD prices gona be come much closer to that of HDD.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I know that a group of Seagate Drives have been crap such as these ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...844&cm_re=seagate_3_tb-_-22-148-844-_-Product

These ones used to be good but then they started to fail left and right. I know this form first hand. I had to swap out some of these Seagate drives in NASes due to failures. As far as drives for NASes go we are not buying Seagate again.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Don't bother going to Western Digital, sucks hard.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seagate drives are now crapper due to them being made in a certain 5 letter country beginning with C, and I don't mean Chile.

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    plenty out there...
    from my personal experience working for gov/fed gov/military/reg. businesses and fixing/building desktops/laptops since 2000, seagate had the highest fail rate. got worse after they purchased (the 2nd worst brand) maxtor.

the stores i worked for had about 50% of their total (monthly) hdd sales with seagate drives. return/defective rate was double compared to other brands like WD/samsung/hitachi.

almost all hdds i had to replace where i worked(customer and company itself), were seagate (50-70%), compared to any other brand.

some friends of mine had their backup drives from seagate, against my recommendation.
    one died within 4 weeks (weekly server image around 10GB), the other one within 6 month and cost ~2500EUR to recover his patients data.
    not one of the "replacement" drives (samsung/hitachi), installed in 2007, has failed so far.

look up HDD surveys that will show it easily. just picked one, as i couldnt find the google one that included brand names..
    http://techreport.com/news/25940/hard-drive-reliability-study-names-names

i upgrade my desktop about 1-3 times a year.
    had about 20 ssds since 2010. BSODs like stupid, when running SF based drives (SF1200-2000 with 12 drives from 6 different brands) or Marvel (2 drives).
    Not one (ssd related) BSOD since i switched to OCZs..

now that they purchased SF, it makes it a lot easier for me:
    i will stay with OZC sdd which are perform almost as good as pci-x based ssds at lower cost and i can write 50GB a day (vector 150)...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Never had any issues with their Blacks.

That being said, I tend to always get Seagate, WD Black or Hitachi when repair PC's for people.

Every time a HDD breaks it's either:

- Really really OLD
    - It's a WD Blue/Green
    - Another brand

If anyone whines about HDD's dying in the first few weeks:

- Bad maintenance
    - It was faulty to begin with and if it was an important drive you deserve to be slapped in the face to begin with for not TESTING it

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    [​IMG]

27k drives

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    keep the seagate hate out of the thread.Any time some one post something related to seagate it devolves into hate thread.

So again keep it out of the thread

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    WD drives have problems with excessive head parking hence the fail prob with green/blue, the red ones have less problem with it.

hitachi were always good performer but "loud".

i liked the samsungs for very good speed, but still being silent.

toshiba is now running some of the fastest 7200rpm consumer drives (1TB and up), but i couldnt stand the hdd-noise anymore.

so now im running ssd's for everything...

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    That graph I can believe, will never buy any seagate drives anymore, lost many a seagate drive, wd drives still going strong

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hmm I have 2 WD green drives inside Hard drive enclosures and never had a problem with any of them.

Hmm. Maybe this controller has some bugs in it that needs to be worked out.

16. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Similar case here - a couple of years after the guarantee ended the drive failed(it was the motor, which acted strangely, so I managed to copy about 90% of the data on it). On the opposite a 10 year old Hitachi still works like a charm :D

17. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    every maker share failure rate

in pas 15years, i use WD and Seagate, just recently using Toshiba(hitachi)
    there is funny things is that the drive that failed on me is Enterprise Series WD RE2, i only use 4 drive but all of them dead, 1drive with badsector
    either bad batch or bad luck dunno...
    The black series is good, i guess WD just using same parts like their enterprise series, just different firmware (TLER for RAID)

Seagate sofar okay, but back few years ago, their drive have firmware issue

Hitachi, well its popular in its home country (japan) also the most used drive in there i believe, but people call it "death-star" in the past, so i believe it have quite fail-rate
    Toshiba drive, basically just label, the drive+firmware is hitachi (even SMART detected as hitachi drive)... been using it couple years for RAID storage, no problem so far

Well if you care your data, just backup and replace drive every 2years of usage (around 16K of usage), why 16k hours? well if you see google hdd failure report (http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf)
    it said the drive failing rate increase lots higher after 3years+, and for me 16k hours should be around 3years or more depends of usage

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Funny thing is I installed an old Hitachi 256GB HDD which is roundabout 6-7 years old and it runs just fine. And its just as fast as my ****ty green WD 1TB.

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Having worked as a computer technician - stay away from seagate.
    At least that's what i can say from my experience.

All my non SSD's are WD Blacks. All several years old by now (its just for general storage and dxtory/fraps recording mostly) All the important stuff happens on my 250 and 512gb ssds anyway :p

20. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I am enjoying my 4tb seagate drive. no problem with it as of yet. Had it for like 2 years now.