Shadows Of Mordor Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Sep 30, 2014.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Watch Dogs doesn't run well at all here.

2. Sketche

Sketche Guest

GPU:
    R9 295x2 + 290X
    Yeah also have to report that Watch Dogs runs very badly for me in crossfire. I have a 295x2 and a R9 290X and I get much better frames just using the 290x on it's own.

3. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Tested it again tonight, using FRAPS. I used a completely clean install of 14.9.1 and my Watch_dogs is up to date with no mods applied.

When I have Crossfire turned on I get the following:

Standing still (stuff going on in the background): 60fps
    Walking/Running: 35-45 fps, big fluctuations
    Driving: 20-40fps, massive spikes up and down as more stuff appears on screen
    In Combat: 40-45, stuttering on explosions etc

When I disable Crossfire and frame pacing:

Standing still (stuff going on in the background): 44fps
    Walking/Running: 45fps, no real changes
    Driving: 38-44fps, minor stuttering for short periods
    In Combat: 45

Basically with crossfire on the fps can go higher, provided you're doing nothing at all. As soon as you start to actually play the game it jerks around with a variance of as much as 20fps. Without crossfire the fps is lower but more or less stays in the 45ish range a good 90% of the time.

So it still isn't working. Going from what others say my guess is that the Crossfire profile only does anything good if you've got 290's in there.

4. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    Nope, it does exactly the same thing with a pair of R9 290's in x-fire also.
    That "up to 99% x-fire scaling in Watch Dogs" isn't even close to being a true statement no matter what AMD GPU's in x-fire you're using in Watch Dogs.
    If you think that it IS true... I want to see a video with MSI Afterburners onscreen display clearly visible in the corner of Watch Dogs actually being played (ie:running/shooting/driving in the city)...while showing this 99% scaling.....With both GPU's clocks / usage / and FPS clearly visible.
    If someone owns 2 or more R9 290x's , it should be pretty simple to start the game and check for yourself.
    As was stated above, with x-fire the minimum FPS is actually worse than using a single GPU...and the game plays smoother with less FPS fluctuations with a single GPU....that is not true "99% scaling in x-fire".
    So as most, I just stuck to playing the game with a single GPU in Borderless Window mode....since it plays best and runs the smoothest with one GPU.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Thank you guys. I will raise this issue with the driver team and see what they say. I'm not sure what can be done, as i think this game will be forever plagued with these sort of issues.

6. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    Yeah, I think you're right with Watch Dogs...as I said , it plays by far the best with a single GPU in borderless window mode.
    That game just simply doesn't play well with multi-GPU setups period...not just AMD GPUs.

And as far as Mordor, it seemed to act a bit the same as Watch Dogs in x-fire, so I'm using single GPU and Borderless window with this game also, since it offers the smoothest experience with this game too.

The only thing I'd kind of like to know is what is different about playing in borderless window mode vs fullscreen that makes these games play smoother in a window vs fullscreen?
    (besides the fact that x-fire doesn't work in a window)
    You know, it's just one of those things that you want to know..why?... Just to satisfy your own curiosity and try to understand what is happening different between the two modes and why one works better than the other.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. kingal

kingal Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950x2
    Let's see.

Team Fortress 2 (the third most popular game on steam for around 8 yrs): doesn't even use crossfire. People say you don't need it which is true except for when you're playing MvM and there are 600 robots on the screen and you get massive frame drops. If you turn on AFR, it works pretty good, but there is flickering in the shadows.

CS Global Offensive (the second most popular game on steam): Crossfire works pretty well, except every 30 seconds or so, there are frame drops to 40-50 which is VERY noticeable. With crossfire disabled, fps is stable so I have to disable it.

Watchdogs: I haven't tried with the newest drivers, but a week or so after it came out, it was unplayable.

Shadows of Mordor: the issues already stated. I'm hoping that when you say the drivers should be out "soon" it will not be months after realease.

I think I'm coming to the end of the crossfire experiment.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  8. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    I think I'm with you on this one, and this was only the first time I've done it!

Right now it seems like a luxury unsupported item that, when you're lucky, will give a nice bit of a performance boost, but there's no guarantee of that.

Seems to me if you've got to be prepared for it to only work occasionally on games. Game dev's certainly seem in no rush to maximise its potential and right now it seems it's on AMD's "if we get around to it" list.

Next generation I think I'm going to be Nvidia, and spending all my money in one go on a top end card.

9. Kainz

Kainz Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / 4GB
    Have to admit having recently purchased an R9 290 and seen it's power vs my old 6970 I do want to go with a dual card setup but I feel Crossfire just isn't the way. Second hand 290's are going for dirt cheap right now due to AMD slashing prices. I'm not saying SLI is perfect but it seems to be a better deal right now.

I've been buying AMD cards since the 4870's. Seeing all you folks with problems and realising the fact that I today completed the last 70% of Shadows of Mordor with a huge stutter bug (borderless doesn't work) that I've had since upgrading to this gpu has made me lose a little faith. Nothing has happened on the driver or game patch front to address the issue and the game is finished for me.

10. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    In Windows 8, everything is vsynced except for exclusive fullscreen. That would be why it's smoother.

11. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070 JS OC
    And it will force the use of Window's triple buffering.

12. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Source?
    As I know, Microsoft hate Triple buffering, that's why we still need to use RedeonPro or D3Doverrider to force Triple buffering for Direct3D.
    And I don't see any difference on input lag between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

For DWM, it also write that it is double buffering only, since Windows Vista.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969536(v=vs.85).aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager#Architecture

13. H0PE

H0PE Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6990@850/1285
    I'm crazy pissed with amd and even nvidia.
    Crazy pissed because all my nvidia (asus) cards broke down in the past, 3-4 cards, cant remember anymore. And yeah, Nvidia had the same crap, because before the hd6990 I had two 8800GTS and they were awesome one by one at the time, but together it was a nightmare. So when one of the card died under warranty I said ok I pay over and I want a big huge dual gpu card and I'm done with the upgrades. I remember I teared my hair out because WoW was not working with two cards properly, stuttering like crazy.
    Then I'm crazy pissed that I switched over to amd, because the hardware is insane good, noisy but still good, but the drivers are terrible since years, YEARS! My card is HD6990, and crossfire fking my games up most of the time, especially when they supposed to come out and work out of the box, but like currently, me/you waiting for a patch for the game to be playable?!!
    Hell I can't even disable crossfire properly many times, if there is crossfire issue, most likely I'll have issue if its disabled too. Some games work only in full screen and not on desktop window/maxed and some only works in desktop properly and not the other way around.
    No more crossfire and sli for me ever thats for sure. Next time I buy one card from mid-range and then rather smash it with an axe after two years and buy another medium range card.
    But SLI and crossfire is not working since like 2005. I can prove it back and forth up and down.
    Like think about BF3 please? Took 1.5 years to make it work properly (and it runs awesome now, hands down just fantastic). Look at BF4, and you have the same nightmare all over. FPS stutter, low fps, BSOD?!! How in the name of jesus...?!! How?!!

You write on amd forum, no official response. You write on game forums, no official response. You write to amd support, no response. I mean WTF?!! :bang:

14. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Still no word on a Crossfire profile in a new driver update.

Very disappointing for what is now looking like one of the games of the year.

15. Mrwhiterx7

Mrwhiterx7 Guest

GPU:
    3 x Sapphire 290 4gb
    I've been playing Mordor with 3 cards (until last night) using the Assassin Creed SP profile with much success. I play at 1440p and everything is turned up except textures are one step under ultra and no motion blur. The game stays pegged at 100fps cap and all the effects are there. Rain, bees, bush particle weird stuff, etc...

Just throwing that out there :)

Oh and this profile has the least amount (very very little so far) of flickering WOOOO! I know not everyone will have the same results but worth a shot!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

16. griffz

griffz Guest

GPU:
    16GB

raise an issue if you want matt... watchdog is a few month old game

I , for one, just unplugged my second 7850 , and will probably never plug it again . this crossfire fiasco is a shame .

And now, i understand why techreport anandtech etc, have never publish a post cat13.10 crossfire review with low end and middle end card .

17. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    A profile will be included in the next driver which is launching soon.

18. Probotector

Probotector Member

GPU:
    Crossfire 290 @ 1100/1400
    Good, thanks for the info mate.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Auwye can't wait Matt, any news about the ArcheAge thing? Would be cool if they developed some profile for that too. :) There's this awful flickering within game near lights etc.

20. griffz

griffz Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    "damage control" we call that ...

How a company , owning 100% of nextgen gaming console hardware plateform an app is develop on , few week after game release say, we will take care of this problem (we must have taken care before ... )

it's over real .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014