Shadows Of Mordor Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    crossfire 280x is way more than enough to run this game at max settings and with ultra textures installed as well, especially at only 1080p.

the recommended 6GB of VRAM was an extreme exaggeration based on my own findings and the findings of many others. the game with ultra enabled uses as much vram as is available from gpu.

i'm playing with an HD 7970GHz 3GB, max settings at 150% resolution (2880x1800) AND ultra textures installed/enabled. i am averaging 2.8GB of VRAM usage. at 1920x1200, my monitors native resolution, it drops to 2.4 - 2.5GB of VRAM on average.

no vram related hitches or stuttering whatsoever. my only issue is getting crappy frame rates because i can't run crossfire.

2. Kainz

Kainz Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / 4GB
    Hey all, first time poster here :banana: I've been following this thread closely trying to solve my own issues with the game, as mine are similar - apart from the fact that I have menu stuttering/frame rate issues whilst ingame on ONE gpu.

I run a i7 2600k 3.2 @ 5ghz, with 16GB ram. My GPU since I built this pc was a 2GB 6970. Only now it has started to feel the strain in some games with my new 144hz monitor.

On release I installed SoM and played the game without issues on High texture settings with my 6970. A day later I bought a cheap 4GB R9 290 second hand as I had been planning a GPU upgrade by year end anyway. Prior to installing the card I uninstalled my 14.9 CCC's and fitted the card in and then reinstalled the very same CCC's. Everything is well in windows.

In SoM however I have massive frame rate/stuttering whilst navigating the menu's and ingame for 10-15 seconds I see the fps drop from 50 or so to about 10 during combat sequences and map navigation.

I have tried virtually everything I can think of - from older CCC's using DDU also, to messing around with v-sync, ingame resolutions and even low graphics modes. Nothing has had any affect. Neither the card or the GPU are overheating and the gpu isn't throttling back either.

How could switching a GPU make a game suddenly worse? I can't work it out. I submitted a detailed ticket to WB with fps screenshots and at the same time noticed an nvidia user on their forums with the same issue (can't link to it as I'm a newbie).

3. kingal

kingal Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950x2
    Sorry to hear of your problem, but that has nothing to do with what this post was about, which is crossfire not working with SoM. I'd suggest you to ask in a separate post.

4. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I was referring to the help he was offering others in the meantime. But please don't worry, i raised this issue with the driver team near the start of the thread. We will have a fully working profile out very soon. :)

5. Kainz

Kainz Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / 4GB
    I think it has been established that XFire isn't working with the game by now. I marely wanted to add my feedback that the exact same situation does exist for non-XFire users too.

6. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Genuine question now (and I know I've been pretty cynical and negative on this thread, so please bear with me) but two quick things:

1. Did AMD ever actually release a Profile for Watchdogs that was meant to get Crossfire running properly on it? I know this seems like it's OT but I ask because if the answer is yes I can know not to get my hopes up for any eventual profile for SoM ever achieving much. (Because Watchdogs never ran well on CF for me, even now I get massive fps jumps up and down.)

2. I read elsewhere online that Monolith have said they have a patch coming that should deal with SLI and Crossfire issues. Won't that impact any profile you guys make?

Thanks.

7. LocKeRoM14

LocKeRoM14 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X
    Good question my 7990 also scales very poorly with watch dogs along with cod ghost, but those are the only games I've had problems with and pretty much gave up playing them.

8. DNMock

DNMock Guest

GPU:
    crossfire R9-290x 4gb
    I'll give this the old college try tomorrow when I get my new rad installed and be back online

If you are running ultra textures, pull out to MSI Afterburner and leave your core clock speed at default, then spend your overclocking budget on memory clock speeds.

gonna get those memory clocks up around 7000 with the Crysis 3 or Tomb Raider profile. That strategy works like a charm for me with Skyrim running around in a modded to hell game. After spending mostly all my budget on bumping mem up the game played much better Note I was using a single card with 2gb ddr5 ram at the time so...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    1. Yes we did, in 14.6 we added up to 99% scaling for Watchdogs.

2. It should not affect it, unless they change the of the game exe at the last minute.

10. RiPLeY78

RiPLeY78 Guest

GPU:
    7660g+7670m / cf 6950 2gb
    Just one simple question Matt. As we see that games go gold quickly and cf is not supported for many big titles out of the box, wouldn't it be useful to go back to the CAP system when AMD published CAP's with crossfire profiles independently of drivers more regularly?

Now we have to wait for the next beta and I am pretty sure it doesn't take that long for amd drivers team to figure a better profile for a game that we have to wait for 3-4 weeks (and then with the system used now, we have to deal with a beta driver, with possible problems, to get the new profiles). Even if they are beta caps, it would be useful for most of cf users.

I would be really pleased if I could continue using the WHQL driver with the new profiles. I suppose many cf users would too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

11. MojoW

MojoW Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070 JS OC
    This ... because when the CAP's system left AMD released a whole lot more drivers.
    Now we have to wait on a new beta releases and it's taking longer and longer.

12. kenzt

kenzt Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 NITRO+ OC
    Agreed. +1

13. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    This. Something needs to happen or AMD will lose customers. I for one am jumping ship when I have the money. This sojourn into AMD territory was a big mistake. Never again.

14. Jimdriver2

Jimdriver2 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X x2 Crossfire
    Thanks for the answer.

However it did absolutely nothing for me with my two 280X's. There's were two known issues under the 14.6 notes:

Running Watch Dogs with a R9 280X CrossFire configuration may result in the application running in CrossFire software compositing mode
    Enabling Temporal SMAA in a CrossFire configuration when playing Watch Dogs will result in flickering

And they must have never been fixed because the fps on it was always worse in crossfire than it was with one card. I certain its not my setup as well as other games work fine in crossfire.

I agree with this as well.

At the time I built my PC (Xmas 2013) the 280X was the best power for £ card for my budget. I bought it thinking that with the option to crossfire later and because AMD had made the new gen consoles GPU's they would be the best bet.

My experience over these 9 or so months has me fully intending to go with Nvidia once the real next gen cards come out next year.

15. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    after several hours of messing with settings and single gpu/crossfire, it's become apparent to me that this games "ultra" textures setting suffers from a bugged texture streaming issue similar to the one present in watch dogs.

i can run ultra textures/settings at 1920x1200 smoothly on a single HD 7970GHz 3GB, however, as soon as crossfire is enabled with those same settings, i get massive stuttering, hitching and hang-ups that render the game unplayable. VRAM is not being maxed out in either case (average usage remains 2.8GB).

the game runs fine using high textures with crossfire enabled, no hang-ups. and it runs fine on a single gpu with ultra textures, but as soon as crossfire is enabled....it ****s itself.

something conflicting is occurring with the way this game loads up textures and dual gpu's that causes stuttering and hang-ups. i know of another dual gpu user (780ti sli) who is experiencing the same issue, where the game runs perfectly smooth with ultra textures on one gpu, but terribly with sli enabled.

i think this is a problem monolith needs to address.

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Thank you both for your feedback. I will ensure it gets passed on.

Fair enough.

Does it work on the 14.9.1 driver? If not please let me know and i will investigate further. :)

17. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    AMDMatt, crossfire runs flawlessly here for watchdogs, actually playable at 8k eyefinity. I'd love a crossfire for Shadows of Mordor, which you said will be coming shortly and one for Dead Rising 3 - is there any hope for the latter? And don't listen to the haters, I'm incredibly happy with the dual 290x and their 8k performance. Flawlesswidescreen is a necessity of course, but it has nothing to do with AMD. Would really love a DR3 crossfire profile, I get ~40 frames on _one_ panel.

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    We're not hating, we're having legitimate problems and are frustrated. Also our frustration isn't pointed at Matt, I'm sure this is a management/priorities issue within AMD.

19. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I have to admit, i thought Watchdogs was working quite well now with recent drivers, but if this is not the case then please let me know and i will raise it as an issue. As far as i know though, AMD offer great competitive performance on it now.

I'm a gamer just like you guys, so these issues (crossfire especially) affect me as well so you can be sure i want them fixed (and crossfire working in game X) just as much as you do. As always keep letting me know so i can make sure something is done about it.

As soon as i have an update about Dead Rising 3 i will let you know. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. maxstep

maxstep Guest

GPU:
    4090 + LG OLED 65
    Didn't mean to aggravate, used "haters" in a general, colloquial form :)
    I understand the frustration perfectly well, I rued the day I got triple 7970s to be honest, they never worked right. So, so happy with properly cooled 290xes though.