Disable CPU Core Parking Utility (unleash full power of your Intel CPU)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by fr33jack, Sep 12, 2014.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    The following text from coderbag site:

If you are an owner of a new multicore Intel CPU for example Intel core I7 and Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 OS, you already might notice that some of the cores in your resource monitor are marked as parked. This is a new feature of windows 7/2008 operating system that is made to balance energy consumption by your CPU. So let’s say if you are performing some tasks that do not consume a lot of CPU power, all the cores that are parked will remain in that state. However, if you are running something that requires a lot of CPU power, all the cores, which were previously parked, will be placed in the active state (unparked) to perform the task. And after it’s done, they will be parked again.

All in all, this is a nice feature to save the energy. But if you decide to keep all of your cores active at all times, there is no way to disable CPU parking from the user interface or by running command prompt.

While searching the internet, I could not find any utility that will allow you to enable and disable the CPU parking without having to go and modify the registry manually. So I decided to write one.

This utility will allow you to easily enable or disable core parking for your CPU. The first thing that you should do is to go to a resource manager to check if you have parked cores. The reason of doing so is that core parking is not enabled for all the multicore CPU’s. For example, if you have Intel Q9550 Quad Core CPU you may not see any parked cores at all.

[​IMG]

Once you have started “Manage Parked CPU Utility,” you have to press “Check status button” to allow program to search registry for the keys and values that are responsible for the “core parking”.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After search has finished, you will see N number of rows in the list view control along with the Status that will describe if the value retrieved from the registry indicates that your core is parked. But as I said earlier, core parking is not enabled for all the CPU’ s even though registry value may indicate that cores are parked. From now you can press “Park All” or “Unpark All” buttons to enable or disable parking. Also, you can change a single row.

Note that for the change to take effect you will have to reboot your machine. Also Utility should run with Administrator priveleges in order to be able to access registry. This utility does not require installation.

From me (OP):

In my case, my i5 3570k was parked by default (Windows 7 x64)

PS. Feel free to share with your thoughts about this tool as about your experience with it, performance differences (if any) in cpu intensive games and such.

CPU Core Parking Utility (alternative download link)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Added alternative download link...

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
  4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  6. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Why do I need "unhide" power policy and such? Turning that sh*t off completely to utilize 100% capacity of my CPU 24/7 was the original idea. So, for me, core unparking was the last thing to do to achieve that...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Most notebook users can`t disable C-states and P-states in BIOS. Providing them with setting that disables that stuff (it is hidden by default) is useful feature.

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I see. But why notebook users would go for max power usage in the first place? Instead they should read threads with titles like "unleash full power...saving feature of your Intel CPU" :p

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, it is strange to me, but there are many gurus here with notebooks trying to play games. May be students or guys with mobile work...

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Don't take all comments so serious...some of those comments may be a prank, a joke or friendly mockery :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    =)
    Btw, if you are a professional programmer what company do you work for?

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Microsoft Russia...why?

Nah...i'm kidding. Kinda self employed...and I am not a programmer...just a nerd...kinda :D

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Right..

This thing says they were parked while Processlasso parkcontroll said unparked, now after I set my high-perf. power plan to unparked, this PL parkcontroll is showing them as parking..

But I didnt reboot yet.. Dunno which to trust, but ProcesLasso's tool seemed more legit, it showed realtime parking/unpakring threads/cores.

EDIT: Rebooted and ran ProcessLasso parkcontroll again, now it showed them unparked but by its parking config it still showed them @ 0%, after I ran this tool while parkcontroll open it started parking them again, even thou this other tool said they're unparked.

I'll just stick with process Lasso's tool then, see now its showing as parked, while that other tool strictly said unparked, also it locks my parking settings in power plan until next reboot
    [​IMG]

edit2: meh now this new tool added one value to power plans called parking control and every time I try to set to 100% it defaults to 0%.. wish'd I never tried this :p

ok I restored my power plan to windows default and now it finally set to 100%. Was about to use system restore phew :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I tried this tool once before had the same issue, found it easier to just edit the reg and set processor performance core parking min cores 100%

resource monitor shows no core parking unless i set the above to 0%

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    According to MS documents (at least for Win7) power plan settings Minimum parked cores % and Maximum parked cores % should have the same value to disable parking.

16. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    this is odd. Im running a game in the background (shadow of mordor) just looked at resource manager and once i set it to small view i see half my cores are indeed parked. Is this coz im just floating in windows doing nothing and will they come on again once i resume the game or should i get this util and unpark the lot?

thanks

edit:

just tabbed back into the game for a split second and back out again and the parked cores show activity for the short time i was in the game. Must be unparking when they are needed?

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Just unpark it all like I did...if you don't give a fk for such nonsense as power saving :D Unpark it...and shout into the window loudly "Fk u Nature!" :D

18. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    Im with you bro :) my 1000w PSU has been on pretty much 18 hours a day for the last 5 years. I never see the need to save power. NUKE THE WHALES IMO :D

I will unpark all my cores when I next shutdown the game. Having too much fun hacking orcs to bits atm.

19. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    the util says unparked just like the picture in the top post. However, resource manager says otherwise........

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    U restarted your PC? After "unparking" you need to restart...