AMD could be restructuring once more

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BSN reported earlier that  AMD might be preparing one more round of restructuring, a pretty significant one as well. The reorganization would be announced later this month. Sources claim the restruct...

AMD could be restructuring once more

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Amd are finished, even eclap was converted. No matter what and release nvidia will release something better very shortly after that consumes less than half the power lol.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I just do not understand the doom and gloom. The new nvidia cards were first to be so energy efficient. While 7xx and amd 2xx were pretty much equal. Before that there was never this efficient card apart from the 750. o_O

If AMD is finished we are ****ed.

4. 53RKZ

53RKZ Guest

GPU:
    HD4600
    Veteran, and that makes you so very excited why exactly..? You do realize that your good friend nvidia would rob you of your lunch money the first chance they got, right?

5. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    If AMD is out of business and it`s only nV on video cards market then it will be monopoly and trust me nV and Intel doesn`t want that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Nv have nothing to do with that. This is allways the CPU buizness who is in question here. Its more a problem for Intel than anything.

But well with the last announces this month and previous one of AMD ( as the synopsis relation one ) , + all the investment put on the table thoses last months, im not sure they are so "finished".

We can ask us if this is not stranger to a part of an internal restructuration on the R&D and process design. They are restructuring a bit on their R&D departement for CPU, they send 150 engineer to Synopsis to take care of the AMD licence IP and at same time gain access to the IP level of Finfet and library, design from Synopsis. ( Who tend to make believe Samsung fundries should be producing the next AMD chips with 14nm Finfet or 16nm Finfet )..
    I tend more to believe that is certainly true for the Opteron ARM 64bit, i m not so sure it is the case for their x86 CPU and GPU's anyway

7. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    Be humbly happy so.. but why troll/throw jabs as if AMD is ruining somebody's life somehow? It's not like AMD is restricting anyone from buying what they want whether it's blue or green or both.

8. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    I didn`t said that nV have something to do with it!I`ve said that it will be very bad business for nV to be the single gpu manufacturer on the market!
    @Veterean,dude u should learn a thing or two about corporate business before u start speaking!

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well... i think the local sarcasm detector is broken.:D

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Sarcasm is hard to detect in written form that is for sure. Tho god. Bit too trigger happy myself.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    this is so 80's/90's :)

economy doest work like that now, the hand of the cooker have changed of side since and company who think that are condamned to bankrupt.

about AMD: they have totally deserted the server and pro market (despite it was their most inovative branch) and concentrate on gaming/mainstream (cost a lot, gain few).

i don't know if it was a good strategy.

However i hope it would't be too painfull for AMD.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I dislike AMD tbh but i don't want them to parish, nvidia and amd battle each other is good for US, no matter who u voting for.

AMD is good for make nvidia drop prices, nvidia is good for making amd drop prices, we all want that and need that :D

13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Hopefully they can turn it around. It's not just all about us as consumers though. It's also about those families who's lives will be impacted by the loss of employment. I have a brother who after 17 years with HP is getting cut due to their restructuring.

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Yeah that too, finding a job is so painful, specially after all those years.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nothing is finished, Veteran. Eclap got 970 becouse its a amazing card, hes not green like you. You go wait for for Titan II, nvidia will gladly take your 1-2k$ but the rest of us want ccompetition.

16. 53RKZ

53RKZ Guest

GPU:
    HD4600
    Is it? Is it really? Or do you just repeat what you heard somewhere else?

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Are you really sure they have deserted the pro market ? For what i know, their Firepro lineup is actually just everywhere on all level of price, their Server gpu series is on top, let alone all the system stack they provide (DGMA, direct sync between GPU's etc, etc ), they are nearly in every level including the ARM datacenter, cloud, HPC one. They are linked to HPC / server systems developpers ( Seamicro, Cray etc ) .. Nearly every penny invested by AMD is on the server, datacenter, HPC, professional developpement.

90% of the articles relating AMD stuff thoses last months ( and who are not rumor about their next gpu line up ), are about pro market, server market, datacenter markets, professional graphics.

Ok their Opteron could look less sexy that Intel ones. But they have some advantage on server systems intégration that Intel have not.

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why would they be finished rofl, it's exactly the same as saying McDonalds will be finished, ever heard of that? It's a big company so I'm sure they have a lot of resources.

lol yeah, eclap got it simply because the 970 is a good card. Good value for the money, I'd get it too if I didn't have this crossfire in my machine right now.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The bad thing is, restructuring is allways another term for firing people, which NEVER is a good thing, however you put it.
    As if AMD closes down, I don't think so. They're making good money off consoles I hope, yet I'm not sure if they will continue to make performance CPUs rather than APUs, and I'm also not that confident they will keep their GPU department running, unless they land another good punch on Nvidia with the 380 GPUs.

But, I guess none of us can be sure what that news even means in terms of the business, but I have a feeling we will see pretty soon.

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    It's true they are involved, but they are not market leaders. This is very different. It's exactly the reason why the server market is overloaded with xeons and the mobile market is overloaded with intel chips. On the pro market, the tesla has the more efficient architecture and it is exactly why they are more popular. Performance/watt really matters there.

They want to enter the arm market, but I really doubt they will succeed. They have to compete with arm itself and with qualcomm. This is probably the reason why intel backed off from the arm segment. Nvidia can compete, but they are not a new player anymore.

The problem is, amd is not that big of a company judging from its number of employees. Amd has around 10k employees, nvidia has around 8k last i checked. Intel has over 100k. Let that sink in for a second. I don't find the fact that amd is falling behind surprising.