DirectX 12 Available with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft posted on their blog that they will be shipping DirectX 12 with Windows 10. While Microsoft first announced DirectX 12 several months ago, this is the first time the company has stated publ...

DirectX 12 Available with Windows 10

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Of course. We all knew it wasn't coming to Windows 7 because Microsoft doesn't actually care.

3. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    So should we expect dx12 sooner than late 2015? I hope for some public tech demo at least so we can try it out.

Win7 didn't even had support for 11.x so i guess it was pretty obvious dx12 won't be supported. In my opinion , they have very little reason to , because win10 will be better in every possible way, and things should be moving forward if we want to see some real improvement

4. Mato87

Mato87 Guest

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    So the question now is with the new maxwell cards supporting dx12 will the win 10 upgrade for users like me who have win 8.1 pro be free aswell?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Why would they? They're a business. Sometimes between different year models of cars the only difference is the software they program the ECU and transmission with, and yet, you don't see them saying hey! free upgrade! It's a good example, because someone who bought a car in 2014 isn't likely to upgrade to the next car, especially if it's almost identical apart from the software. The car company loses nothing, yet they don't do it.

Microsoft loses a lot by supporting DirectX 12 on Windows 7. They would have to change the driver model, cause a whole lot of issues with drivers and compatibility, and encourage people to stick with Windows 7 instead of upgrading to Windows 10. It would be a huge loss financially, both with the reduced uptake of Windows 10 and the extra support for Windows 7. Completely unreasonable to even suggest they should do that!

It would also be only benefiting the minority of people. Most people are still on Windows 7 simply because they haven't upgraded their computer (apart from those OEM's that have gone back to it, users loss). The computer hardware probably wouldn't be able to play the latest high end games which will be the ones that really benefit from DirectX 12, so again pointless.

Basically, once Windows 10 comes out, and you build a new computer and use Windows 7, the lack of DirectX 12 or other functionality is simply because you're too stubborn to go to Windows 10! May sound harsh, but true.

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Microsoft did backport DX11.0 to Vista.
    Considering Windows 7 didn't get DX11.1/11.2, I don't get why people even expected it to get DX12 though.

I mainly want Windows 7 to get DX12 because it's so important for the userbase and uptake of DX12.
    If DX12 did come for Windows 7, every system with a Geforce 400 or HD 7000 card would support DX12, whereas it'll start from zero if it's for Windows 10 only.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Xbox One will get DirectX 12, but that may help AMD users more than Nvidia. I'm not entirely sure how DirectX 12 works, but it's Mantle-ish in a way (AMD said it was closely related to it, and easy to port between the two).

I believe the uptake will be considerably faster, however the use of DirectX 11.3 is more probable than 12.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh they do care. To push sales for Windows 10 of course.
    But wasn't dx12 never announced for Win7, but rather dx11.3?

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In other words, they're like every other company on the planet, and they're doing what you would do as it would take considerable money and resources to support the deprecated OS, only to keep users from spending money to upgrade.

It's a loss-loss for Microsoft to do that, it benefits them absolutely zero.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I hope the Xbox One will drive DX12 on the PC as well.
    But I was hoping that DX11.1/11.2 would start getting used more as well after the Xbox One was released, but that hasn't happened.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    A system from 2009, last service pack from 2011, meaning it will reach end of "features" support in 2 years. There's a huge change in graphics driver model, and investing in Windows 7 graphics makes no sense.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Will Windows 8 get DirectX 12?

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will still be holding on to Win 7 untill Win X is officialy released.

Perhaps even untill NVIDIA Pascal.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That part makes sense!

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well duh, i mean i wont be trying out Previews :)

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I doubt PC will actually get many games with DX12 support. If we're lucky, we can get Direct 3d 11.3 support from games with Windows 10 and that too if Windows 7 gamers upgrade in large numbers, which they might well do.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Do you mean Windows 8.1, since it's essentially a service pack for Windows 8? No chance on Windows 8, and in the traditional way of doing things there's a reasonable chance that Windows 8.1 would get... DirectX 11.3 (12 not likely). However, if Windows 10 is a free or very low cost upgrade to 8.x, then no chance. It would make sense upgrading.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    To be honest I think DirectX 12 is the first time I have not been excited about a new version of DX...

Just a feeling of "meh"

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So would you think it would get them more money to release dx12 for win7? I can hardly believe that.

20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I've been playing with the previews of various Windows versions and I wouldn't recommend using them on everyday rigs. At the current state it's not production-ready, and while Windows 8 preview was stable, there was no option to upgrade from preview to the final version. If you have a spare computer or some virtualization software (I'm using Hyper-V that's bundled with Windows 8), I think it's worth giving it a try. Or if you have a dedicated computer for gaming that doesn't store any critical data, and you don't care about reinstalling Windows and apps, it might as well get some Windows 10 Preview treatment. You could get used to it, see how it evolves, and submit feedback, so MS can make it better for you and people with similar needs.

According to what I understood, he meant that supporting legacy systems costs companies a lot of $$$, and that releasing DX12 for Windows 7 would make it even worse. MS gives full support for their operating systems for at least 5 years after the latest service pack, and then 5 extra years of extended support - more than the most of companies. Effectively it makes the products cost more to compensate that fact.

Actually it seems to be the greatest change since DX9, or maybe even earlier.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014