GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    I once had MSI gts250 with coil whine , it disappeared completely after some time , my friend also had Gainward gtx260 with even stronger coil whine , it stopped after few weeks of frequent card usage as well.

2. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I was looking at these inno3d cards and got to say they look pretty dang good! Can you buy these in the USA?

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Okay so I think that initial claim I quoted, at least in my test, was debunked.

I ran a test of Firestrike sli and non sli, and the gpus both reached 99% with and without sli on. So that doesn't appear to explain the lower [graphics] scores for 970SLI in Firestrike.

Can anyone confirm whether or not they've seen any comment on this? Is it just a driver issue?

4. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    I ordered an SSC EVGA acx 2.0, coil whine or no coil whine I dont care cuz I game with headphones...

I hate living in Canada sometimes since it always seems newegg ships out from California, it takes soooo long....

5. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Finally got it in, and oc'd. This card has some balls. :)

[​IMG]

6. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Same here! Took 2 full days to go from LAX to VAN...it just departed VAN airport a couple hours ago. Hope to get it by friday.

7. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    When's Newegg going to restock 970s? Do the regular non-ACX 970 evga work fine?

8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hmrph now I have the itch to upgrade my monitor lol this elcheapo Asus 27" is starting to make me feel like I'm missing out on a lot of wasted frames.

Anyone here able to comment on any of the Korean monitors like Qnix or Overlord? Would I do better to get a 1440p monitor @ ~120hz or gran a benq 27" TN @144hz? But 1080p and just use dsr..??

The benq is on sale now at NCIX for $440 atm

Edit: Impulse buy.. grabbed a Qnix QX2710 matte :O

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  9. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800XT
    Which drivers are the best to use with GTX 970's in SLI please?

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Decided to try my X-Star DP2710 @ 110hz instead of the 4K monitor I've been using for a night, and see how the experience of DSR 1440p 110hz vs. 4K 60hz native compared, but I am finding that custom resolutions immediately disable the DSR options from showing up, and if I enable DSR first it says to disable it to use custom resolutions.

I have tried using CRU with just the 110hz resolution in the EDID at all, and the clockrate patcher used on the NVidia drivers. However, this results in the refresh rate working but no DSR option in the control panel still.

Any ideas? :) Or any announcement of custom res. being allowed with DSR already soon? I am aware of the "Nvidia quality upscaling" flag in Nvidia Inspector but it does nothing that I can determine (no image quality change, no DSR factors in the control panel that normally create the custom downsampled resolutions, or smoothness slider appears).

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Currently using the .11.. either should be fine, don't think you'd see performance difference between the two. My understanding is that the .16 fixed a couple bugs in certain games but that was all.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Some report that Windows 8.1 boosts your score in Firestrike quite a bit.

13. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

I'm the original poster of that comment at Overclockers, and I can confirm that in single-card mode I see 99% GPU usage pegged, while in SLI mode I see much lower GPU usage per card. I am running in Windows 8.1 for all of my testing; it's possible Windows 7 behaves differently, then. I actually will try lowering my GPU clocks down in the morning and see if that bumps the average GPU usage percentage up, though, as well... this will help determine that my original conclusion is correct.

EDIT: Just tried a run with the exact same clocks as were used when making that original post, nothing else changed but swapping the monitor out from a Dell UP2414Q @ 4k native 60hz MST mode over DP 1.2, to the X-Star DP2710 @ 2560x1440 native. Now my GPU usage is pegged at 99% on one card and 98-99% on the other when running firestrike. I don't have time to swap the monitor out right now but now I am extremely interested in whether I stumbled upon an MST bug when running these newer cards in SLI @ 4k :confused:.

EDIT 2: Ok, this is... interesting, decided to try it for a minute:

1) With my UP2414Q monitor hooked up (4k MST 60hz over displayport 1.2), my 3dmark GPU score for normal FireStrike is ~21,000.

vs.

2) With my X-Star DP2710 monitor hooked up (1440p 110hz over dual-link dvi), my 3dmark GPU score for normal FireStrike is ~23,000.

That's with the GTX 970 pair in SLI mode for both tests... what the---? That's a 10%+ difference in performance literally just swapping which monitor is hooked up from a DL-DVI 1440p to a 4k panel @ 60hz in MST mode.

Strange, strange thing indeed.............

Anyone else own both a 4K MST monitor and any other 1080p or 1440p panel and can try this test out? I'm very curious if this is something with my system or a generalized issue with NVidia's drivers?

EDIT 3: Ok, really gotta run now but I'm going to try Extreme in the morning and see if the same delta exists there...

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Good to know. I am getting 99 and 95 (ish) in BF4. Highest I have seen on one of the cores is 49%. Well chuffed with these cards.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yea, I think so too. But I'll try calling them again. Especially now that I also have the 100% fan problem on one of the cards.

Komplett.se is the name of the retailer. I think it exists in all Scandinavian countries.

16. AaronT

AaronT Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G SLI
    I am still hoping to get my second card tomorrow. Will test once installed.

17. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks!

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    well well, being the 1st to order (I think so anyway) a 900 series card on this forum , during am hours on the 19th of last month, I was just informed via email that my card will FINALLY be sent tomorrow! Here's hoping the courier will have it here in time, don't wanna wait until Monday!

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Congrats :)