GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It is infernal in 3DMark cloud gate and ice storn demos. I can hear it in pretty much every game, even with vsync.

2. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI
    For those interested in the 6GB vRAM rumor for Shadow of Mordor I can show that they were fake.

I just ran the Shadow of Mordor benchmark and with Maxed settings at 1440p (yes I downloaded the ultra hd textures pack) I get 94fps average.

I also played through the game a bit without an issue.

Youtube video of my benchmark below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFg1FpWExY8&feature=youtu.be

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That and the fact that even the cheapest 5xxx CPU costs €100 more than the 4790K. Also the mobos are more expensive.

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    LGA2011 isn't targeted at gamers anyway - that would be 1550.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Any luck on that dude? No idea how you were planning to test...

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @RyviusRan
    @ScoobyDooby
    @anthonyl
    @AaronT

Guys, have any of you the issue I'm experiencing with GPU1 downclocking when playing less demanding games? For example WoW, Divinity or others? (Must be an SLI compatible game). Check this with AB OSD.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
  8. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
    Monday I jumped on the first "in stock" 970 i'd see and it was the EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0. Factory overclocked with the ACX 2.0 cooler...

After reading more about the card since I was really excited about it I realised a few things:

1) The ACX 2.0 cooler on the SSC models and under (SSC and SC) is in fact made with older ACX 1.0 fan parts and modified a bit. It's still is advertised as the ACX 2.0 when in fact it's more of an ACX 1.5. Only the FTW edition of the 970 will use the real ACX 2.0 cooler.

2) Some read, before the 970 were released, that they would come with a backplate. When it was available, no backplates on the cards. When that was announced EVGA offered a free backplate when you would register you card on their site. A few days later the program disappeared but EVGA said that something is coming soon.

3) The SSC and SC, mostly those with the ACX "2.0" cooler, seem to be affected by coil whine and loud fan noise. The fan noise can be corrected with EVGA Precision X software or by an upcoming BIOS upgrade with the 0% idle fan (announced by EVGA).

So for the most part, my guess is that forums mostly have unsatisfied people posting comments there while satisfied customers are enjoying their cards. I read reports from both sides but mostly from the dark side of the spectrum.

The fan noise and coil whine reports seem to be related and some pointed out that it's may be in fact fan noise when it's going at higher RPMs. Nothing real clear about that. My current Gigabyte 7950 have coil whine when I got at high FPS, like when I exit the Heaven benchmark or in some game menus.

Fan noise I can live with that since you can manually modify the curve of the cooler to a more convenient one or wait for the 0% idle BIOS upgrade...

I'd like to hear from other EVGA 970 Sc and SSC owners with the ACX 2.0 cooler. How is your card, do you like it, etc!

Thanks everyone!

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I ended up being out all night.. but will be around tonight and will be sure to report on this.
    By that I mean, I will verify the claim as to whether or not the cards will not up to 100% use when SLI-ing in Firestrike. Obviously I don't have any better CPU/Mobo to test with, so can't verify that claim that its only older platforms/chips that could have the issue.. but we'll see.

I can test this as well.. I don't play any of those games but will see with the games I do play if it happens.

10. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I picked up a EVGA 970 gtx SC 1.0 on release day. The day after I read about EVGA using old stock and quality short cuts. At first I thought this is just hype! By the following Monday I couldn't find a good review for the EVGA card. I found tons of good reviews for the G1, MSI gaming and even the ASUS. I got my card on the following Tuesday.

Between the bad reviews and the no backplate debate, I decided to return the card back to EVGA.

When I contacted EVGA customer support for return, they asked me why I wanted to return the card. I said from the reviews, EVGA used spare parts, the quality that EVGA had was gone and the backplate that was promised was false. The rep asked if I would conceder a exchange from my card to a FTW 2.0. After thinking about it I chose to return the card I had.

I never opened or even tried out the card. That reason was because I would have paid a 15% restock fee.

Now this is where things are FUBAR! I have read reviews, forum posts all over the web the past days. There is one thing that I read about over and over. Everyone of these 970s seem to had pros and cons. Most all had coil whine, and some OCed better than others.

I don't think I made the wrong choice to return my EVGA card based of the review. I think we all count on reviews some way or another.

Now I am spooked about one thing tho, and that is the avalibility of these cards.

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Availability shouldn't be a problem over the coming week to two weeks.. most of the retailers I had originally spoken with when I was feverishly searching for my 970s had told me that they will get stock with most of the variants in the first and second week of October.

I noticed NCIX had a couple of the MSI 970OC in stock yesterday (I'm sure they're gone now), but they should start to see some trickling in.

I think you made the right decision with your EVGA for what its worth. You're spending hundreds of dollars on a card.. you want it to work properly. I too have read enough stuff on the EVGA and I'd prefer to not have bothered with any of that and just get models that you know you'll be happy with.. the Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and even Inno3d if you could find it.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I asked to return my card but my retailer kept contradicting me and told me that coil whine are accepted within a certain dB range. Then he reminded me about the huge fees that i'd have to pay if it turns out that the cards coil whine are within acceptable limits. I'm freakin' scared now.

Has anyone reported ASUS coil whine?

13. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I figure I have a couple of weeks until my card is received at EVGA and the refund is put on my CC. I will look into NCIX, never heard of them.

14. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    If the card box has been opened, some retailers will charge a "fee". Depending on where you bought it from, you may can replace the card then return the un-opened box for full return.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    your retailer is a cowboy.

Simply return the item because "it's faulty". Question them on the acceptable limits of db for coile whine. He made that sh1t up. Ask for documentation showing the db level that is acceptable. Do not let them mug you off.

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Check your PM Topcat

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  18. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
    * Promotion valid on EVGA GeForce GTX 980/970 graphics cards purchased from 19 September 2014 to 31 December 2014, or while supplies last, from online etailers in the following countries only: Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and United Kingdom, and only upon registration at EVGA.com.

!?!?!?

19. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i think i will be in trouble when i get my cards
    looks like those inno3d 970 airboss are tripleslot cards
    and that could pose a problem with my mobo/case combo i think

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Where did you bought it? I'm going to contact my retailer in near future too. I'm pretty sure that it is not acceptable to have a card that can potentially sound like a sausage that is about to pop.

Yes they have.