Monolith's Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 12, 2013.

1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So are the ridiculous vRam recommendation true or are they just shock factor-ing?

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Yeah, i'm constantly changing my Dark Ranger costume with a normal soldier cape on the fly - looks kinda funny :p

3. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    FMV are there to hide loading times. Same thing with other games such as Ryse.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Except they don't. A cutscene ends then I see a loading screen with a spinning cursor for about 10-15 seconds then I can start playing again. The FMV in this game does not mask the loading times at all IMO in the same way as, say, they do in the Uncharted trilogy on the PS3 where the in-game stuff and cutscenes were pretty much seamless.

5. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Interesting. I don't know what they chose to do this then.

6. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Monolith developer said in steam forums that they're working in SLI profile and will be out this week. For the moment, SLI doesn't work (only scales in benchmark).

There is loading into cutscenes. For a few seconds, if you try to skip the cinematic, a popup says "loading". After those seconds, you can skip it. At least I've seen that in the first intro and two cinematics after the intro.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Here's a screenshot from the PS4 version (taken from NeoGAF):-

[​IMG]

Looks very much like that version has post-process AA to me, which makes all the more baffling that the PC version doesn't have any! :3eyes:

8. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    But it also looks very blurry, it's probably using MLAA, which has more downsides than benefits, it should have been an option though to those who wanted it.

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Sweet FX SMAA does not work with this game. At least not with my 290 on 14.9 drivers.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It still looks better IMO, simply because the FMV cutscenes also have a softer image quality to them due to them being anti-aliased on the PC. It means that even if your character is wearing the same outfit as in the cutscenes that the transition between cutscenes and in-game stuff is jarring because everything looks super-sharp (literally, hell I cut myself on some of those serrated edges!!!). I would imagine it is probably less so on PS4 because the cutscenes and gameplay are 1080p and both use AA.

That said, this FMV/game engine discrepancy has always been a problem on the PC but usually the in-game stuff looks BETTER not worst! ;)

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record though, I will shut up going on about it now, force FXAA in the driver and play the damn game! :D

11. chuuey

chuuey Guest

I don't know why but I can't select 1920x1080 in fullscreen? That's weird, looks like the game displays itself in 2560x1440 (Native monitor res i have) then changing the resolution provides me with some weird options like 2048 x 1008 or something o_O

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Gotta mess around with resolutions and/or scaling in CCC or nvidia control panel.

13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    That one looks ugly

[​IMG]
    So dear Elrond, PC version still looks decent without PS4. FXAA+1.5x downsample+30 fps lock (although in my screenshot below FXAA is not included, it's nv drivers issue, FXAA works ingame, but it will not show if you grab screenshots)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

It works. You have to use bolotaur's 64 bits dxgi.dll file because that game is a 64 bits app.

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    10K anyone ? :D

[​IMG]

16. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Branding orcs is so much fun. Watch them proceed with your dominance!

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    This game is insanely fun.
    Just played for about two hours straight and had a blast. The combat is great, fast and responsive.
    And, in motion, the game looks great. It's one of those games that doesn't seem to screenshot well... but while playing it looks amazing.

Also, it runs great. Even with my 2GB card... I'm running High textures and pretty much all other settings on high. Frame rate is averaging around 70 to 80 and is silky smooth.

18. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    what resolution?

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  20. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    The E3 2014 gameplay.
    Alchemy all but removed, now you have infinite auto-refilling potions that you only upgrade by collecting necessary "parts" which you get from sidequests.
    Added "Witcher Vision" similar to Eagle Vision from AssCreed and Detective Mode from Batman Arkham.
    Lore-rape in form of crossbows, the fact that Geralt can now use Gabriel, a crossbow used by assassins, one he very much destested in the books is probably the biggest lore rape.
    No styles/stances.
    Journal automatically tells you what potions/swords are best against specific opponents.

Graphics have been severely downgraded due to Microsoft paying for platform parity.

It's bull****, the game will use as much VRAM as you have simply because "it can", but even 670 users are reporting a pretty smooth experience.
    That's because the game doesn't need to load as much **** into VRAM, it only does because it can.

It does work but you need to use Boulotaur2024's SweetFX since it's the only one with support for x64 games. Make sure to use the x64 .dlls as well.

Also I'm glad that I'm not the only one upset about prerendered cutscenes, it's absolutely unforgivable on PC, especially in a game with multiple costumes.
    The fact they aren't even used to hide loading times is what baffles me the most.
    Also I recommend nobody use the ingame V-Sync since it's double buffered (so if you drop below 60FPS it locks you at 30FPS instantly).