Monolith's Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Nov 12, 2013.

1. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    So PCgameshardware relased new comparison (in the first place they forgot to instal texture pack :D). My texture pack is still downloading but I bet that this thing will finally hamer my 2GB :bang:

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/mesom-high-4.jpg

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/mesom-ultra-4.jpg

It looks like that, but then, how we can check real Vram usage and cached one (if programs like msiafterburnes shows just one data)
    I tried FXAA in Nv control panel, sure it isnt the best AA, but game looks MUCH better now.
    So maybe 4GB Vram is simply not enough for ULTRA textures ? It looks that way based on your experience

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    As I said, Ultra textures may run better at 1920x1200 but I did not have time to test it this morning before leaving for work.

At 2560x1600 (downsampled to 1920x1200), I saw my VRAM being completely maxed out but the game still ran relatively smoothly albeit the framerate was 30 FPS so combat felt slow. I think this game may just use as much VRAM as there is and even when maxed out it doesn't chug and stutter badly like Watch_Dogs did/does. There's just the odd hitch.

The big killer at 2560x1600 is the 30 FPS framerate but I am going to use 1920x1200 now and try forcing FXAA in the driver game profile, even if I'm not a big fan of that method as it tends to blur text and so on.

Do you think there's any chance that Monolith will add AA support to the PC version? In-game FXAA or SMAA 1x would be much better as they would be applied after the scene is rendered *and*, more crucially, before the HUD and text are overlaid on top giving a much crisper overall presentation.

3. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    game looks good only when it rains

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It runs perfectly fine on 4gb and many have reported the same on 3gb cards. The game uses around 2gb vram for me playing the logos, so there you have it, it'll eat up as much as it has available but 3gb is enough for smooth gameplay, even with HD textures.

2gb might be pushing it, but then all you have to do is drop to High textures and you're laughing.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's perfectly fine, from my personal experience. so is 3gb, according to many on this forum. I game at 1440p btw.

Darren, there's something wrong if you're getting 30fps. I'm running the game maxed out with HD textures at 1440p and I'm getting around 70fps average, maybe 65. That's my average fps every time I check the fps counter. Are you running vsync?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is the Dark Ranger outfit a pre-order bonus or something already included in the game?

Also, the dreaded Season Pass at £20...has anyone bought it? If so then does it have any additional content you can use now? I plan on waiting for it to drop in price in a Steam Sale (say, at Christmas) before buying any of the DLC for this game as I sometimes feel that developers are not so much offering additional content as holding back stuff from the game to sell at a premium later. Every major release now seems to have a pre-release Season Pass announcement and it is getting tiresome and annoying.

7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Who knows, but that would be great. I wonder what AA ps4 is using (PS4 screenshots few pages ago looks decent)

For now we need to use FXAA and maybe even downsampling. Just one resolution higer, and hud looks sharper even with FXAA enabled.

EDID- I just tried Ultra texture pack. At first I thought, that everything looks and runs the same, but you need to restart this game after you select ultra texture settings, only then that texture pack will work :D. Well game looks better, but just 30-45 fps at 1080p, also stuttes with 60 fps limit... BUT with 30fps limit stuttering is so small, that I can actually play this game even with ultra textures :D

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Still considering to buy this game...kinda tired of waiting DA3. But I have a question: what kind of antialiasing does it have if any?

9. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    It's a pre-order bonus. I'm not sure what the season pass will bring, since i bought the steel book edition.

10. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    No options in menu. You have to force it.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Take every multiplatform title that features on the new console and you get the same result -(watch dogs/Wolf TNO) Vram is getting filled as much as there is vram. Its the unified memory design of the new consoles that causes this, and its not being 'corrected' once ported to pc. The vram is being dumped with as much data as it can fit and not just for textures that are needed. On consoles this is fine, the unified memory is vram + ram so

Take Skyrim and use any of the 2-4k complete texture packs and youd be hard press to reach 4gb vram at 1440p, and that game has a lot more going on in it than this game.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I am using v-sync as I cannot abide screen tearing, no matter slight, and the framerate is set to 60 (I benchmarked with v-sync off and an unlimited framerate though). It seems like this game drops to 30 fps if the framerate is below 60 fps, i.e. it is double-buffered. Unfortunately, the game is 64-bit so D3DOverrider's triple buffering option will not work (it only works for 32-bit apps) and the driver option is only for OpenGL I believe so I hope Monolith fix that and add triple buffering support.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    And then you can only force FXAA (NVIDIA) or MLAA (AMD) as the game uses DX11 so AA compatibility flags will not work. Of course, you can use an SMAA injector such as SweetFX but they are still not ideal as they blur text too.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I should get my PS4 copy today so I will take some screenshots using the Share button and compare them directly with images taken from the PC version to see if they do have AA or not. My guess is that the PS4 and Xbox One versions do not use FXAA either otherwise the PC version would have had that option too. I guess the inevitable Digital Foundry Face-off will reveal all! :D

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Also,

My understanding from what ive read...
    On the consoles, where hardware is limited, being able to have one large pool that both cpu and gpu can draw from means data can be pulled quickly by either processor depending on the task. For example, If the gpu is calling textures in a scene that is less cpu intensive, the amount of unified memory available will be in favor of the gpu and it'll maximize on that to increase performance and reduce texture pop-in.

On pc, we have ram for cpu, normally of which is in the range of 4gb to.. what, 36gb in the enthusiast pc. Then we have dedicated vram for the gpu. There is no need to store extra crap in the vram that it doesnt need right then and there. Lets not forget about the pagefile also.

16. evo161

evo161 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    FEAR 3 SLI profile working bad , for example not seen rain and performance low ... dou you know another solution for SLI ?

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    It sucks. Hate post AA :(

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This is why we dont preorder. Wait for performance reviews from your trusted sources.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Am I the only one who is simultaneously annoyed and puzzled over why this game uses pre-rendered FMV for the cutscenes?

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nope, it baffles me too.

Oh, and yes, vsync is double buffered, with it on I get low performance too.