HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Should be easier to find one now for sure!

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With Gauntlet, I really cannot recommend using the built in SSAO at all. Even when downsampling, it looks bad. And still causes some aliasing.

But in regards to downsampling, in the user config file, if you change the resolution in that to your set resolution. And then set the shadow resolution from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 instead.

By re-selecting the medium shadows setting and back to the high in the settings menu, it will swap to your downsampling resolution.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/93226

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Perhaps is a resolution or 980 issue?

I tested all 3 flags on both Quality and High Quality on my 570 with 344.11 and they all worked same as before.

Sure you are using the right flags? Because some flags DID cause the game to crash when I was testing for them.

4. Siridon

Siridon Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 (1520mhz/4100mhz)

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Interesting. Why disable the SSAA?

Also: Doesn't the game use GI along with it's own form of AO that you can't disable?

It certainly looks good though!
    (Though the inability to use SSAA might be a deal breaker for me personally. some downsampling+4xSSAA = as good as it's going to get with Metro)

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  7. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    You can still use regular downsampling though which is the same as ingame SSAA.

8. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    whats hbao+flag for black ops 2 plz ?tanx

9. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Guild Wars 2

I tested every pre-made flag as of driver 340.52. Every flag has flickering, bleeding, or both. The best option, imo, is the first flag below.

Flag: 0x0000001A (Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter IV(Benchmark))
    issues: A little bit of bleeding through fog.
    Flag: Default for GW2
    issues: Flickers at multiple camera angles during regular gameplay, but doesn't bleed anywhere.

Basically, pick your poison if you want HBAO+. Below are screenshots of 0x0000001A vs Off (since flickering can't be captured in a screenshot :p). I also have 0x00401044 as my AA bit with 4x MSAA + 8x TrSSAA

Example of bleeding: http://puu.sh/bRGxR/efc772817b.png
    Same scene w/o AO: http://puu.sh/bRGMF/d6dfbd6eb7.png

HBAO+: http://puu.sh/bRH7v/499313c065.png
    Off: http://puu.sh/bRH2k/0675e8f318.png

HBAO+: http://puu.sh/bRHhG/49965ffc2c.png
    Off: http://puu.sh/bRHpj/b773efe4db.png

Edit: The bleeding is more....extensive than I thought. http://puu.sh/bRJvP/8184c5d712.png
    Only use it if that somehow doesn't bother you :/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  10. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    Also, I have extensively played Castlevania Lords of Shadow using the HBAO+ flag in the doc (to completion) and the only issue it has is that it turns off in some scenes, mostly cut scenes. Nothing bad, I definitely recommend it over the built in AO.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Yes, AO testing can be especially frustrating sometimes.
    Even though I have more insight into the specific functions of these AO/AA/SLI bits than most users here, there is still quite a bit of wasted time and trial and error involved, if you want to find the best profiles for your games :)
    But the end result makes all the effort worth it in most cases IMO.

Are you officially done testing HBAO+ in Guild Wars 2?
    If that is the case, then I think we should add the game to the List of Games not recommended to use HBAO+ With, or is currently impossible to do so in the OP, with your post as reference.

13. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Ok, so i've been a driver level hbao+ user for a while now. I got sli gtx 670's a while back when they where current (one has since died and run out of RMA). I had my gtx 670's during the transition of ssao to hbao+, and it's kind of amazing how nvidia simply mentioned it in the driver notes and never discussed it as a 'feature' of graphics cards again except for exclusive gameworks supported titles.

They don't talk about how we can get 95% of dx9 games to work with it. Which is a big deal, and one of many reasons why i'll never switch back to AMD. Nvidia's ssao was a huge performance hog (required sli), and flickered like crazy. However hbao+ is incredible, and the performance hit is lower than most games traditional ssao, all while respecting our screen resolutions a lot more. Even more amazing is how in some games the 'performance' version of hbao, while costing 50% less performance than Quality, and High Quality, looks better. In the witcher 2 for example, quality eats up most of the detail with it's over-shading, whereas the performance version has less coverage, allowing the game to seem sharper with the lower quality version. Also in watch dogs, the performance version also looks better there as well, with the exception of the grass.

Anyway, I thought I would share a few tricks with those of you that like to experiment and tweak. Recently I was providing some people on the steam forum with some ways to get their games to work at higher resolutions than the .exe supports, and i ended up using a combination of the dx8 converter enb, with the d3d9.dll for a resolution mod over at widescreengaming forums. Basically we got some games limited to 800x600 to work at 2560x1440 @ dx9. So recently I got an old dungeon crawling classic called fate: forgotten realms. Only to find that no flag was working with the game. I looked at the release date and figured it must be using direct x 8.1 instead of 9. And hbao only supports 9, same is also true for all nvidia driver level AA (except for fxaa). So I got the dx8 to dx9 enb converter and then got the sweetfx 1.5.1 (which comes with a d3d9.dll) and combined the two. Allowing the d3d8 game to work as a d3d9 game, with the bonus of sweetfx as well. Other d3d9.dll's don't work - so I would suggest using this combination when downsampling. I am going to create a package file of everything you need to convert d3d8 to d3d9, and then we can start posting hbao+ and AA flags for d3d8 games.

14. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    All that is left is to test custom flags. I'd still recommend the standard flag despite the flickering. Yes, it turns off, but it is when looking from above or below, not straight on like you do 90% of the time. I was hoping to fix that problem, although bleeding is a pretty horrible substitute :p

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sure, this is of course fully up to you as the tester of Guild Wars 2 :)
    If the flickering issues are relatively minor, I have no problems with adding the official AO flag to the list.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  17. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    any flag for fifa 15?thanks

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I actually just now sat down and read this. Seems like a good idea. Look forward to see what comes from it.

I'd like to see how it deals with stuff made for DX8.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    INTERESTINGLY, the latest drivers have added profiles like
    0x00120035 (Strife)
    0x00130000 (F1 2014)
    0x00140000 (Lords of the Fallen)

Amazing they continue to add flags, but not to fix actual issues... (Or even properly test the flags they make in the case of Dark Souls II)

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    -Pinball FX2-
    Flag: 0x00000035
    General information:
    I figured , that I would give this another shot. Feeling I didn't try hard enough the first time, and given the new flags. Why not try'em out?

0x00000035 immediately works very well. And doesn't apply super strongly and make things too dark as when I tried previously.

With 0 issues really. Except for some flickering on/off I noticed on some incredibly minor object not even on the Pinball Table (Read; You shouldn't even see it) on the Return of The Jedi table. And it was something you'd only notice on the the auto pan and that's if you know what to look for.

Pictures:

No AO 1 2 3 4 5
    HBAO+ 1 2 3 4 5