Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Sep 22, 2014.

1. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    Does this new DSR feature require that you play in fullscreen mode? Or does it allow you to play in some form of windowed mode?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that good question, I bet it dont work in windowed/ windowed full screen though.

I know as i know down sampling dont work right in windowed/windowed fullscreen I have to have my desktop at same res or my desktop res gets changed anyway.

This would indeed be great if this work in windows/windowed fullscreen with out actual need to use change desktop resolution

3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    What I like about dowsampling is, it improves anisotropic filtering quality (maybe because it's done on higer resolution?). But anyone compared DSR to gedosato lanczos resampling ? Lanczos resmapling in gedosato looks stunning, sharpness is even better than native (mostly textures in the distance). My monitor native is 1680x1050, and if I downsample games from 2520x1575 (and add SMAA on top of that) image quality will be stunning, better than just MSAAx4. Because gedosato works only with dx9 games (for now) I really hope that DSR will look similar, from that point I will not use MSAAx4 at all :) (and BTW MSAAx4 + SGSSAA produce noticable mouse lag for me, so I didnt use these features in FPS games)

[​IMG]
    This is my JPG from fable using gedosato lanczos resmapling (from 3360x2100), and quality without this JPG compression is even better in game

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Must be a way for Enslaved because I played that game with downsampling. Check the .ini in user folder, it's a UE3 game afterall.

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I'm not surprised gedosato where it works looks better. Modders > Developers

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    But not every game looks great with GeDoSaTo's Lanczos, you'll required some sort of AA enabled before hand in the game (Preferably NOT-SMAA, else image is gonna look uber sharp and hurt the eyes with sharpness ringing).

FXAA + GeDoSaTo's Lanczos = Better result.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's the weird thing though. Many UE3 games do support DSR but for some reason Enslaved doesn't. It's not a deal breaker though as I'm forcing 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA which looks stunning in this game.

8. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    SMAA is not unsharp mask, so how it can produce sharpness ringing? IMO your PC monitor is to blame (too high sharpness settings)

9. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Having both SMAA and Lanczos downsampling, produces those sharp results.

10. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah, downsampling can't match SGSSAA in a lot of games. It has higher Edge quality often times in still shots. But that's about it.

In some games it works just as well if not better. But for a lot of games. Using some measure of SGSSAA+A small amount of DSR with some increased sharpness SHOULD end up looking amazing!

YUP. Which is a shame, because a lot of games scale some rendering effects better with resolution because they are fixed to a fractional ratio of the main back buffer resolution. (IE Bloom or DoF resolution for example)

In Final Fantasy XIV for example. Even at moderately high resolutions, the UI becomes far too small and the max scale you can set it to is 140%. Which isn't enough. Game needs to have a built in SSAA mode that is user setable/selectable. In conjunction with a display resolution, and UI resolution.

(For example)

(Render Resolution is set at 6400x3600)
    (Resolve filter can be set>Box, Gaussian,Spline,etc)
    (Display Resolution is set to 1600x900, 16:9 Ratio)
    (UI render resolution scale set to;locked to selectable 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions; 1280x720. The UI can then be for instance scaled further by in game customization)

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    EXACTLY.

Lanczos is a terrible resizing filter for games unless it's Lanczos3.

Unless of course you prefer ultra sharpness and all of the added aliasing, ringing, haloing,edge emphasis and other stuff that comes along with it.

Same thing with Bicubic Sharper.

There will be more temporal aliasing as well 9/10 times.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=79095

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd also like to show some practical examples (Though stills can only do so much)that downsampling by itself is innefective.
    Taken from this post. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4920154&postcount=2338

NoAA http://abload.de/img/noaa3jpqy.jpg
    2x2 OGSSAA via a compatibility bit for inspector (nvidia cards) http://abload.de/img/2x2ogssaatru1m.jpg
    2x2 OGSSAA via driver downsampling http://abload.de/img/3840x2160downsampledtv4uvd.jpg (If you also notice, driver downsampling has an additional benefit in this case. Being the AO is higher quality vs native and driver 2x2. Effect is fractional. Thus increases when main backbuffer does as well)
    8xSGSSAA via a compatibility bit for inspector (This bit used for example has less averaging ;blur; than the other bit that can be used. And thus still has some aliasing left because of this. But is useful for the point) http://abload.de/img/8xsgssaaaafixon18kh7.jpg
    (Other bit 8xSGSSAA for example http://abload.de/img/8xsgssaaaafixoffsgrly.jpg)

The author of the pictures in this case didn't try downsampling + any other kind of AA. So I can't show that without doing some specific testing myself. (Which I don't have time for until Friday).
    And there isn't one for GeDoSaTo for example(But the results would still largely be the same)

But it does show the point and using some other form of AA in conjunction with downsampling would provide the best results.

I've seen some shots here where people are downsampling from crazy resolutions, and yet there is still tons of easily visible aliasing (At least to my eyes. Which are used to looking at this stuff like crazy).

The awesome part now though with DSR, is that you can use say 4xSGSSAA or 8xSGSSAA and do some slight downsampling (IE 1.2x1.2 or 1.5x1.5) and use Nvidia's new filter to increase the sharpness to counteract some of the blurring if that's an issue for you. Thus you'd essentially get the best of both.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    so..Back to the topic

Can the DSR feature be forced on my Kepler GPU, via Nvinspector?

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not yet.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OF the people that can test this does DSR work with windowed/windowed fullscreen games or is fullscreen exclusive

16. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    As long as picture is made from real details (no unsharp masks tricks because that produce ringing, and it's very big issue on BD films) I will always choose ultra detailed and sharp picture, because this is how real world looks like to me (my eyesight is 20/16, better than average adult has).

Also I not belive in perfect AA method, some aliasing will always left after MSAA or downsampling. Thats because you cant get perfectly smooth detail/contrast transition on 1080p monitors, it still way too little pixels for that. RPG games and RTS are perfect example, because objects in this games are very small, yet detailed. AA can help with aliasing in all games, but only to the certain point. Most people already will not notice the difference bettwen MSAAx4 vs MSAAx8 that easily. On the other hand methods like TXAA produce almost aliasing free images. But there's reason for that, TXAA totally blurs important contrast color transitions, and it's just simple gimmick, and because in real life contrast equals perceived sharpness (this is how our eyesight works), you loose some details in the end. Most people agree that TXAA produce almost aliasing free image, but it also looks like upscaled picture if you just pay attetion to it. In comparison people who bought 4K display often say, that they dont need to use high MSAA or high TXAA settings in order to get almost aliasing free images, just FXAA/SMAA is enough for them. So there's only one real AA solution, higher pixel resolution on your monitor.

BTW I compared MSAAx4+transparency filtering vs SMAA+ 1.5x resolution downsampling. I was surprised, but MSAAx4 was still more demanding:eek3:. If this DSR feature will be added for all geforece users, it would be so awesome :) (unlike gedosato it will works with dx10/11 games)

MSAA vs Gedosato
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Speaking about nvidia inspector, I am absolutely strict when it comes to IQ, I am IQ over performance any day.

I usually do this on older games as newer games with this setting will bury any card alive, even @ 1920X1200 resolution, old games never looked so damn clean, better then what theses consoles can ever do today.

32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS]

+

8XSGSSAA

For the ultimate image quality, this is the highest for nvidia cards, bar none. Basically near perfect image quality, looks absolutely outstanding, basically everything is flicker free, on bushes, fences, ground(even from great distances, and even on 1920X1200 resolution, it literally eats my card for lunch. some games, I am already out of frame buffer, easy. Even if I had the video ram, the card is already buried to its good for nothing knees.

Also, if you all cant get the above iq setting to work with the game your playing, please use the infamous sonic 3d all star racing aa hex code, google: Nvidia aa, guru3d site should come up.

This is what I normally use if I cant get the aa to work properly in a particular game, usually this hex code works 100%.

And people having 4k monitor? Sheesh, even at 2560X1600, this setting that I just mentioned eariler, easily need probably 5-6gb of vram, EASY, with todays games? Absolutely, older games, depending on game, 3gb should be good @ 2560X1600 resolution, newer games, dont even attempt it unless 5-6gb of available vram and tons and I mean tons of gpu power.

I tried crysis 2 with the mods that are very popular, texture, etc mods, and with the above aa settings, at 1920X1200 resolution, I am out of frame buffer, I had to jock it down quite a bit.

I play an very old, mmorpg, using a modified unreal engine 2.5, you know how old that is, ancient, lineage 2, and still, while using both gpus under 100% load, overclocked, above settings, still smooth but depending where you are at in the game. I have to lower the setting a bit to get better stable fps, image quality is absolutely insane, basically perfect image quality prettie much, lineage 2 has never looked so clean and sharp, fantastic. vram is a lil over 1gb, depending on location of the game.

AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_8v8 and the other variant is good to, but not as good as the above mentioned settings. Tons of video memory will be used with this setting, this setting will use alot more vram then the other aa setting I just mentioned before this one.

LOL, I even tried 3dmark 06, everything maxed out and all @ 1920X1200 resolution, and the above aa setting, the first one I mentioned(Enhance the application settings), LOL, Still destroys my card into pieces, especially the airship scene, where the dragon goes in the water, lol, 2-4 FPS!!!, mauahhaaaa, both gpus At 100% usage and running at high temps as this aa setting will literally put out tons of heat as its putting the utmost stress on the gpu's, literally cooking them.

You basically can get away with this setting with a medium range cpu, as this setting, its basically ALL gpu thats doing the work, the cpu, tah, basically aint using nothing at this point, depending on game though.

I would love to see hilbert do a cpu/gpu scaling at very high resolution with the above mentioned settings and see how well cpu and all will scale with the gpu, I am moving towards = Very Nil Difference.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've been using the DSR feature with my 980 and love it. It's very simple to use (as mentioned above) and does an amazing job. 4k resolution to any game just by having this enabled and changing the resolution. The smoothness slider is also really neat, as I actually like my games to have a very slight blur to them.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm running Resident Evil 6 in DSR 5K and it's awesome. Maxed out at 60fps no lag no fuss.

Looks amazing!

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hope they release it for Kepler in the next driver :banana: