Microsoft confirms Windows 9 launch accidentally

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    France President Alain Crozier accidentally revealed that Windows 9 will be launched next week. The software giant is now trying to cover that up a bit by clarifying that Crozier was referencing to ne...

Microsoft confirms Windows 9 launch accidentally

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think it's only about the event on 30th.

I hope we'll learn what will be the upgrade paths from XP, 7, and 8(.1). Maybe it won't be that expensive.

3. riardon

riardon Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX760
    As much as I want Windows 9 I don't think they will release it now. It's gonna be an announcement event and probably a technical preview. I think we gonna have Windows 9 to buy next year.

4. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    You pretty much posted what the whole internet has. Everyone knows the 30th is going to be a preview and 2015 is going to be the release date...

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Windows 8.1 (not 8) has been a total ****ing nightmare for me, it felt rushed, poorly designed and not tested properly.

SP1 for 8.1 has fixed a lot of stuff that should've been there from the start but it still smells a bit lemony to me.

Part of me wants to get onto 9 as fast as possible but the other part worries that MS have rushed it and will screw it up again.

6. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    You got to remember that at the current stage of the Windows Threshold (9) build, the UI is not final as they don't finalize it until later in the development. The good news is that if you don't like it, you can give feedback to Microsoft in a constructive matter and they could fix it since now they've decided to listen to consumers again.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...view-its-all-about-feedback-feedback-feedback

7. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    I really hope Windows 9, or whatever the name they plan for it, gets released soon so I can think about upgrading from Windows 7.
    Windows 8, or 8.1, was almost as bad as Windows Vista.
    It was designed under a stupid concept: people want touchscreen experience on their desktops.
    It is the most stupid idea MS has had in a long time. It does not make sense from an ergonomic standpoint, and even if it did, I do not want to get my gaming monitor dirty with my fingerprint.
    I live in Brazil, and things here are even worse. About a year ago, I built a computer for a friend of mine and learned that for some reason beyond understanding, MS does not sell Windows 8 for new computers, only up-grades.
    Once my friend was not up grading from anything, against our will we had to use an illegal copy.
    Why MS has done that, after so many years of public campaigns against illegal software, remains a mystery to me to this day.
    In the end, however, I think there was some divine justice on it: spending real money on such a lousy software should be consider illegal...

8. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Would be nice but i doubt anything new will be launching this year.

@GALTARAUJO. It's not hard to do a clean install with an upgrade version and probably takes less effort than a pirated one. I have an 8.0 upgrade key and can clean install 8.1.1 without issue. But won't argue that they made it harder than it has to be

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

While people are entitled to their opinion, windows 8.1 is nothing more than a far more efficient version of Windows 7. Simple as that.

Anyone else who says otherwise, they're just hopping on the bandwagon of No start button, windows 8 = fail.

• There is no forcing of using a touch screen.
    • You never have to see the Start Menu.
    • Apps can be removed and silenced completely.
    • The new start menu is far superior to the old start menu. Instead of having to snake through like in the old start menu, all your programs are right there in open and can accessed in just one tap of the windows key and then click on required program. Two steps is all it takes, no more snaking, opening sub folder after sub-folder, just to get to the control panel or programs.
    • The start menu can be arranged by category, most used, recently installed etc with one click of the mouse. If a program doesn't make itself shown for some rare reason, just start typing, say 'Programs and Features' and before you've gotten to 'Progr' it'll be right there, just hit enter. Its pretty much just an extension of win+r. This new search function can be accessed from anywhere just by hitting win+s for program searches or win+f for personal file.
    • The overall experience is far smoother than that of 7, so much so, that I really don't feel the need to go back and to the point that 8.1 is far better than 7 was to Vista (another perfectly fine OS that dumb people couldn't figure out)
    • Internet Explorer 11 is actually worth using, so much so, that i dont bother with firefox or any other bloatware about. Everything about IE is smoother and snappy just like the OS.
    • I've yet to come across any program compatibility issues.

People need to stop being so petty and stupid about change. The old Start menu is obsolete. I hadn't bothered with in windows 7 for quite sometime as it was quicker to have desktop icons or pinned to taskbar.

I really hope MS havent allowed the simple minded folk to revert the great changes made in 8.1, just to please a pack of whining muppets who cant adapt to change, change being almost non existent in win 8 as its simply 7 but more efficient in every way.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  10. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Who uses IE over Chrome?

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Someone whoe doesnt like resource hogging bloatware.

just try IE on win 8.1 and you'll find it to be far more of a responsive browser. Trust me.
    After showing a few friends, they've dropped FF and Chrome in favour of a less bloated experience and slow browsing.

Damn straight i dont use bing though hahaha.

FF will use upwards of 300mbs of ram at all times even while casual browsing, IE at most hits 90, only when watching videos at 1080p or higher, IE will use 300-350mb.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is literally no point in arguing anymore. People just repeat the same ****. Every time there is a Windows 8 news post at least one person comes in and goes "change for change sake" or some variant. 90% of the people here don't care about computing outside of what personally effects them. Although this doesn't surprise me because it's not just limited to computing but humanity as a whole.

Anyway I'm assuming they'll announce release date of the preview and talk about what they've been up too. One of the things I liked about Sinofsky is how open he was on the buildingwindows blogs. Hopefully Julie Larson will be willing to do the same.

13. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

I have no issues with the UI. I was referring to fundamental technical issues with the OS that have caused issues at home and at work but I'm sure a fanboy like yourself could overlook them too.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Care to go into any specifics? I've literally ran 8 across hundreds of machines between work and home and haven't had any technical issues aside from the removal of F8.

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Laptop came with 8.1, classicshell actually fixed it for me. I might reformat and finally move on from 7.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    classicshell? Thats literally a step back. Learn (as in, open just the once, the rest is simple) and you find that the 8.1 start menu is far better and same goes for the rest of windows explorer.

17. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Sorry, I like 8 but metro is ****, the start screen is ****, and the metro apps are total ****. None have any place on the desktop. Anyways, derailing this once again as all 8 threads.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Metro, what metro. Its exactly like 7, but with a full screen start menu and the apps can be completely removed.

19. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Sorry no, just look into the issues fixed in FP1 to see what a botch 8.1 was.

20. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I wonder how many of these "accidents" are planned...