GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That brief blackness is almost certainly TDR, check windows even log. In that case it could be driver bug causing the crash but obviously too high OC can cause it too (and faulty hardware).

2. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Guest

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    @ScoobyDooby
    Your 970 SLi Firestrike scores are looking low. I'm getting ~19k graphics score with my 680 SLi so you should be getting much more. Your CPU score looks low as well for a 2600K (unless you did disable HT, then it's ok).

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh I just read your post...but the thing is that I didn't get a nv_disp error...the game resumed like nothing happened.

I'll have to check the event log but like I wrote above, I didnt notice any NV error and I could resume play without any issues. Also the OC seemed to have reset or something. Normally when I get a driver crash, I have to restart my computer but not this time.

Bah, another side note is that I had a really hard time making D3 playable. If I run the game at 144Hz and got Max Foreground FPS checked to default (150) then it stutters like mad. If uncheck that setting I get the same stutter but if I change the setting to match my Hz (144) then it's better. I got the best result by setting the refresh rate to 60 and Foreground FPS to 60 but still got occasional hitching. Very strange! Though this could be a ROG Swift G-sync bug of some kind.

4. mull54

mull54 Guest

GPU:
    8gb

Sorry, i meant the GPU Score. And yeah i also think it's a bit low. I even overclocked both of them with 125+ on the core and still got the same score(a few hunders higher maybe).

5. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    do I need to oc my cpu to 4.7 or what cause at 4.4 it seems like its not enough when I play planetside. the frames would drop below 30 when you warp at the gate and when you die.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Scoob

Nice looking rig :thumbup:

7. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Question about GeDoSaTo, DSR and other downsampling.

Is it possible to downsample games in windowed fullscreen mode?

It didnt work when I tried that Nvidia driver custom resolution way.
    Is this possible with gedosato or DSR?

Or only possible in fullscreen mode?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Scoob, forgot to comment on your nice rig. Very well made :)

9. rivaltr

rivaltr Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Anyone else hitting voltage limit 1 while benching and gaming no matter the clock speed and voltage? Ive tested on stock clocks/stock voltage and overclocked clocks + 26mv increased voltage. Your answer would be appreciated.

10. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    Yes the cards do seem to throttle voltage.

We need skynet bios!

11. rivaltr

rivaltr Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    So you have voltage limit 1 as well all the time??
    Did u try to change voltage?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    thank you for your post and I appreciate your insight! I am not too familiar with Firestrike as I never benched my older cards with it, so its good to know where my score sits.

I will try to uninstall and reinstall drivers and see what's up. Also will update my Mobo Bios as I'm not using the most current one (on purpose)

I wonder though what could be the reason for the low score.. could it be a driver issue? perhaps the fact that my board is running the cards at x8/x8 on the PCIE bus? I'm not too bothered tbh if my scores are lower, but if its something not hardware related then naturally would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers gents! I like to keep it clean, if possible :) Its really dark in my place so its tough to get decent photos without much light.. however I plan on taking more and posting in the Rig thread in the Gaming Forum.

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Awesome rig! That is the Card I need to get.. Its about time someone is making a card that shines in your case. I don't care how cool the fans look,you can't see them. They need to start doing stuff to the side of the card. Make it so you can change colors to make your theme. I can't for the life of me understand why no one has done this. I think the new windforce cards will outsell anything else because of that. Oh look at how cool the MSI 970 cooler looks. Take a pic,cause you will never see that again mounted in your case..

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I just want his camera - my 720p phone camera looks crap :p Let alone manage to get a pic like that in a dark room.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    FYI photo was taken with a rebel XSI using a long shutter speed (perched on my couch). Then, white balance corrected (otherwise it looked like I was living inside a pumpkin lol )

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Finally installed my MSI 970 Gaming !!

Finally got round to installing my new card and just ran a couple of benchies comparing with my 780 oc'd.

My same system and setup, just uninstalled drivers, changed cards, then reinstalled.

eVGA 780 SC ACX at boost 1176mhz/6500mhz memory (basically the highest stable clock with no voltage increase, my 24/7 clocks)

MSI 970 Gaming at boost 1489mhz/7900mhz memory (no voltage increase, not tried max stable OC yet - so could go higher than this yet)

Heaven Bench
    780 - max system power usage 361 watts
    [​IMG]

970 - max system power usage 299 watts
    [​IMG]

3DMark
    780 - max system power usage 389 watts
    Score = 10209, Graphics 11654, Physics 12506, Combined 4630

970 - max system power usage 317 watts
    Score = 11280, Graphics 13314, Physics 12251, Combined 4981

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    /\ Nice one, Grats SlickRic! Updated OP to reflect your bench.

18. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah cheers. I'm content

Only a mild 'upgrade' in terms of performance.
    But same or slightly more performance for less power and extra 1gb of VRAM.

Old 780 on ebay going well so outlay for this card is probably only going to be ~£50, so I can live with that.

Sli is now a future option aswell

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Firestrike seems to be a driver issue.
    I get 10.1k with 340.43 and 9.4k with the latest WHQL. I wouldn't worry about it.

Blimey, your rig looks magnificent by the way! :eek2:

Just saw the pic, really awesome job! :banana:

20. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Good to know! I guess to be expected seeing as how new these cards and their drivers are.

Many thanks on the compliment! It looked okay with my old 670 yknow, but now I'm much prouder to show it off hehe