GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah, the screws that came with the case weren't long enough to hold the fans so I had to improvise :)

I haven't cleaned my case in about 5 or 6 months though, and the dust build up is only on the outer edges of the fins..

The thing about filters too is that they don't prevent dust from seeping into the numerous gaps, vents and holes in the case..

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Bah.. I have done a bunch of benchies so far in Heaven, Valley, 2011 and Firestrike, OC, Non OC, Sli and Non Sli.. but I forgot to upload the folder to my nas!

Now I have to wait till I get home :(

Stupid me.
    I do have quite a bit of data on it now after testing for the last couple nights including temps, load, scaling and also older benches of my 670 for comparison.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There's no such thing as military grade ram. ;) They advertise military grade components which in this case means better chokes and VRM components, basically.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im using MSI AB rtss 70fps limiter :)

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Fuuuu.... The shop where I ordered MSI GTX 970 didn't get the cards today so that means I need to wait at least three more days.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You might be right about that.

And to answer your question about RPM, I ran a Metro LL:R bench with "mild" OC settings and the top card went up to 1400 and bottom at 1150. You think I can hear the fans? NO :D It's like they aren't there.

Anyway, time for some benchies :p
    OC +100/+250 just to try something nice which adds up to 1380 boost / 7500 Mem. All tests are done in 1440p. Max temps during test so far 73/68.

Metro Last Light Redux (Very High, 16xAF)
    Min. FPS: 31.18
    Max. FPS: 206.61
    Avg.FPS: 107.79

Thief (Very High Preset with SSAA Off)
    Min.FPS: 58.3
    Max.FPS:153.5
    Avg.FPS: 100.9

Batman: AC (Very High, DX11 enabled)
    Min.FPS: 54
    Max.FPS: 173
    Avg.FPS: 110

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    lol, same here. They called and said another week :|

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's insane. I had R9 290 Gaming so I should have some idea how those fans sound at those RPM's and honestly 1400 RPM was basically silent. I'm almost certain that I will end up getting second card at some point too.

9. leakydog

leakydog Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-448 TF III PE
  10. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Celsius or Fahrenheit ?

___________ Edit +++++++++++++++
    LOL

Celsius obviously. I just thought about what a bloody daft question that was.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

11. leakydog

leakydog Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-448 TF III PE
    Celsius

12. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Are those VRM temps very bad , how are other cards? I ordered MSI version and i'm bit worried now.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Yep that's HOT and stock nvm when OC'ed probably 100-110C.

They should do other gpus too, kinda curious now.. Since all seem to be OC'ing like crazy right after they got new gpus and forget about them vrms.. Will be toasted soon :p

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sick fps netherwind, nice one. :D Those GTX 970s demolish anything. 100x more worth than getting a single 980 lol.

Anarion what's up with that killer card you got man, did an upgrade? :D

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    That was my rationale as well.. once I saw the price of the 980 I was just like, uhhh why not 2 970 tho?

16. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    They're all out of stock here too :(
    I ordered when it said 3 days. Now it's changed to unknown >.>

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    most shops Will be getting more the first week of October.. this is what the shops here in Vancouver had told me

18. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    So about those VRM temps? What now? no1 should OC?

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Such an awesome upgrade, isn't it? :p

20. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Non-issue since many cards stock run them 110c+ and most are rated for around 120 operation by the mfg.

Here's my result so far (and temps that I end up at after over an hour of play in BF4 and around 90 minutes earlier in Archeage with maxed gpu usage throughout) with the aim being for silent operation & low heat output. This is on a 4.4ghz 2600k running both cards at PCI-E 2.0 x8, to boot...

[​IMG]

This is on the MSI Gaming GTX 970 pair oc'd and just +12mv out of +87mv applied through afterburner :) . Haven't tried higher low-noise game-stable attempts but I can bench much higher if I raise the fans a little bit and up the volts (1540mhz+ even with the weird voltage quirk I've mentioned before) :D.

I also haven't tried higher for game-stable sessions yet so this probably isn't the max OC (I am guessing I could maintain about 1500mhz give or take at about this silent operation and maybe going to +25mv instead from my initial toying around). Might try that later, but given I didn't dip beneath 60fps for more than about 3 seconds out of 10 minutes recorded (which hilariously enough was literally when I opened the scoreboard... I could see the framerate drop each time :eek:) @ 4k nearly-Ultra settings (2x msaa) in the graph there for example (and never observed under 60fps when I looked), even 1500mhz should be plenty for now until BIOS mods get going (or nvidia fixes their driver :p https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777448/ ).