GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I thought about getting dust filters, but then that would reduce my volume and pressure. Ever since I did the positive pressure setup, dust build up has been very minimal.. Even after months of not cleaning or blowing out my case, there is only a very slight build up of dust, and usually only around specific areas like the heatsink..

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I love those ghetto screwes you used to attach the fan in the bottom of the case lol

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's exactly what I want to avoid and by the looks of it your CPU cooler collects dust pretty badly. To each his own.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Do you game at OC (1450/7800) all the time? Or is your OC just for benching?

5. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    D3 is a DX9 game. ;)
    Try please some DX11 games:FarCry3,Thief,BF4,Hitman Abs,SR4,etc.
    and post some results. :)

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    What sort of filters do you use? Where/how do you place them?
    I've never used these before, but I think it's something I should.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    1450/7800 is my 24/7 oc, with stock volts, low temps. I benched at 1550/8000, with +87mv.

I have. BF4 topped out at 60C, then dropped to 59C... kept going between 59 and 60. I only mentioned D3 because it used to get my 7950 run pretty hot.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Define R4 comes with washable dust filters (for bottom and front fans) that are easy to clean. Obviously no need to put filters on exhaust fans. I also keep side fan spot open but I use filter there (it has magnets, really easy to clean).

9. zentenk

zentenk Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    got the gigabyte G1 cuz it was $25 cheaper than the MSI.

Personally think the Gigabyte one looked best, but it is quite long... now if only I can share images...

10. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    BF4 is not a heavy game either, try games like Crysis 3 Metro Last Light, The Witcher 2 even thats dx9 but heavy, those games makes you card temps reach 70 or above i think.

My gtx690 gets 69 in doom 3, but in games like metro ll, or crysis 3 it can reach a max temp of 85c and thats with a 120 hz monitor. so the vsync is locked @ 120 fps, so it always goes higher then 60 fps if the cards wants to, and that also means more heat, its similar with 60 hz monitors and vsync off.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    For me the hottest has to be

RE6 benchmark - once Oc'ed
    RIFT - with SuperSampling
    TombRaider - with tressFX

all 3 can get ~ 73C @ Auto fan, otherwise I'm sitting ~60-65C even in 3dmark Firestrike.

MSI TF has cool coolers, TF3 was cool too on my old 570GTX. The thing that I kinda disliked was long therm OC, card can start to act funny, especially vram OC can go berserk later idk in 1-2years or so. That's why I don't OC vram anymore.

12. Spenty

Spenty Guest

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    There's RAM chips on the back of the MSI 970's left totally exposed and they get really hot. I've switched my side fan round to blow cool air over them.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Ok, nice! I'll try some OC when I come home.

Oddly enough Firestrike didnt make my cards sweat at all but Metro LL and especially Crysis 3 did (73/67 if I remember correctly). Can't believe it's still impossible to stay above 60fps in that damn game. Pretty sure I ran on High settings instead of Very High.

Also regarding Super Sampling, I really try to avoid it at all costs. It just stresses the GPU to no gain. I remember Sleeping Dogs with SSAA and without, it's like night and day. Also don't use SSAA in Thief for example.

I'm mad that I didnt save my bench results from my old 780Ti since I don't really have anything to compare with now.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Oh yeah Sleeping Dogs Supersampling gets in low 70's C too, Metro LL was somewhere in between for me.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    TBH I couldn't be happier that the cards are as cool as they are. Before I bought my ROG Swift I had a normal Dell IPS 60Hz and since I played with V-sync enabled temps were rarely the problem. Then I got the ROG but locked the refresh rate to 100Hz so that the 780Ti wouldn't have to sweat all the time. Now I can finally run everything at 144Hz and not worry about excessive heat and loud fans :)

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think in that game HT or more than four CPU cores would help. In SLI 73/67 temps are really great if you ask me. My GTX 780 used to go to around 73-74c when in 100% load at 1,2 GHz. Fan speed was around 1850 RPM max.

By the way, what has been the highest RPM for the top card?

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    If you do play rift and arent using it jut for testing the card atm - there's a command to limit FPS without needing to vsync or anything ;o Otherwise you have a game in empty open world with 100+++++ fps trying to supersample every single one - almost feel sorry for your card!

As for crysis - is everyone using the physics mod that changes that rope thing that tries to bring death to CPU's?

18. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I have another question? I'm planning on a gigabyte G1, but they are hard to come by. So I figured my second choice would be the MSI gamming. I read where it uses military grade ram. Is this true? Thanks.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Mine uses normal Samsung vram.

20. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

BF4 is plenty heavy at 4k ultra minus MSAA ;). Any game that's pegging your power high and gpu usage at 95-99% full-time is "heavy" :p, and it does that to me in SLI juuuuuuust fine.

Ya, I'm on a 4k 60hz monitor and the heat output from my system is less than the single oc'd 780 I had, using *TWO* GTX 970's oc'd high in SLI, with undervolted fans all around... and much quieter to boot. Each 970 beats the 780 oc'd I had by quite a margin even as well (Sold the 780 for $400 a month ago).

Now if only we could solve the "one card way undervolted" issue in SLI for these GTX 970's and I'd be golden for even more oc'ing :p!