PS4 for a 6 year old.

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by rflair, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm guessing you could set up a two pin controller on one easily enough, would be added expense though. I'm going to keep researching, definitely interested in picking an RC car up now. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy going electric, a couple of decent batteries and you've a couple of hours use when you take it out.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah I may end up going with a grasshopper. Just Been talking to the expert and he says you can totally customize them by changing the motors for more power etc.
    Some of the planes are nice and cheap as well. I never owned a plane but always wanted one, of course this is all for the kids like:)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That would be pretty cool. I think I'm going to have to look into the 4wd and 2wd variants a bit more, not sure how well that'll translate in the RC world. Probably should have started looking into this a little earlier in the year tbh, lol.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If you want the Ultimate in power (battery) it seems to be the Tamiya Bigwig, this car was out of most peoples reach in the 1980's and was Damn expensive.

Check out the original 1980s advert for the Bigwig, cheese included!:)

Still expensive now and very rare.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Tami...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item46260bb709

This guy has a whole collection.

I remember back in the mid 1980's there was a friend up the road alittle older than me. He had an RC car called The Ninja 4x4 and at the time the roads near our home had been gritted.

All the other RC cars that people had like Grasshoppers and Hornets etc were spinning out due to the rear wheel drive but the Ninja was gripping the road like nobodys business. However powersliding was not as good with the 4x4.

I dont know if the Ninja was Tamiya made but i cant find it anywhere, what i can remember is it was black and red or black and silver i think.

There was this other guy who used to come to our area back in the 80's, he used to travel down on the Bus and he used to bring with him everything. He had all the stuff like the proper bag, spares in his bag, he knew everything about RC cars. Blonde haired guy he was who i cannot remember the name off but his parents had plenty of money, that was obvious. I remember he also had a mobile charger in his bag that could boost a battery to full charge in like 30 mins. Very high tech and expensive back in the mid 1980s around 1985/1986.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Damn I remember playing with them RC cars when I was a kid man that was a fun time.

I also played computer and Video games when I was a kid. I also played outside as well.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've been looking up some reviews on the Carisma GT16MT and I'm very tempted by it:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/review-carisma-gt16mt-brushless-4wd-rtr/

Considering I haven't touched anything RC in an age, it's probably best I get something a little durable anyway. This certainly seems to fit the bill, pretty damn quick also. A couple of minor mods/upgrades and it should be a blast to drive.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looks cool.
    Check out types of Batterys also...Lipo seem to be the best.
    I aint decided yet but im probably gonna go with Nitro car because Nitro fuel is dirt cheap. Aint decided which one but probably this one.
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-tomahawk-bx-2.4ghz-rtr-yellow-/rc-car-products/34917

Or i may go for this one because its nice and strong....
    Twin-chamber aluminum tuned pipe
    Bulletproof all metal gear transmission
    Steel front and rear axles and dogbones
    Fiber brake disk with piston actuation
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-firestorm-10t-rtr/rc-car-products/39705

Only thing i dont like is it has one of these gun style controller.

RC CARS: THE ELECTRIC VS. NITRO VS. PETROL SHOWDOWN. WHO WINS?
    https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/articles/rc-cars-electric-nitro-petrol-showdown.html

Understanding RC Batteries

Simple overview of the LIPO battery (LIPO Explained - mAh, C rating etc)

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    :D It kind of turned into what you guys love RC cars ;)

9. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Don't buy him a PS4 man. That is ridiculous. No 6 year old deserves a $400 system.

You are teaching the value of a dollar in the opposite way one would want to teach a child.

He does not deserve it yet (no 6 year old does). My advice is to get him some Lego brother. You can get some SWEET Lego sets for $400. Or spend a reasonable amount on a 6 year old. Buy him ONE nice Lego set, you are looking at about $150 & THAT in my opinion is an amazing gift for a 6 year old.

Still too much money to spend I'd say, nothing wrong with spoiling a child sometimes. All the time, every Christmas & birthday however will net you a spoiled brat with no manners, he/she will take everything for granted. Especially as I mentioned before, the value of a dollar.

I have personally seen it happen many times.

If you didn't want advice like this you wouldn't have came in here & asked us. Go the educational route for gifts when it's a child 10 & under IMO.

The parents will thank you, there are many gifts that stimulate the mind instead of turning it to mush. A PS4 is the last thing this child needs.

***Edit***

Did not see these posts until after I suggested Lego myself. I think the answer is clear my friend. Lego all the way/FTW!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  10. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    LEGOOOOOO!!!! LOL. Needed 10 posts.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Still a great gift for a child also, gets them outside, good hand eye coordination also and lots of fun. Also great parent to child teaching.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Let me guess, for the watchdogs thread?

Get em a wii-u

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Just to let you know guys i purchased one of these, should be here Friday/Saturday. I went for the Nitro Starter Pack PRO and haggled with them for free battery upgrade to 3000Mah and DPD delivery!
    This thing can hit around 40mph/64Kph.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah no doubt about it. RC cars were my thing when I was under 10. I had some RC car that went around 30km/h with matte black colors and grim reaper on it. It was so cool ;)

I never got any of those fast petrol ones tho :eek:

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    We could never afford a fuel based one back in mid 1980s. I always wanted one but now in 2014 I can afford one.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thread title 'Ps4 for a 6 year old'.

First comment i see when clicking on thread:3eyes:

hahaha....funny.

17. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    My 9 year old and 11 year old both want a PS4 for Christmas.
    I too am wondering what games are out there for them as I'm not too clued up on the PS4 at all. I know they want Little big Planet 3 and that's about it.

They already have a Wii-U and a PC I built them as well as their 3DS's laptops and tablets.
    So the PS4....bit of an enigma as I always view Sony as aiming at the young, free single 20+ demographic with an expendable income. Their high profile titles seem to reflect it too.

Anyone know if there's any future titles suitable for this age group ?
    Any real info would be welcome as opposed to some patronising twit posting their ignorant polarised view on what other peoples kids should be doing, thanks.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Is that aimed at me by any chance, referring to personal attacks are we?

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive now purchased another Rc nitro car. This time i went for this one, there so much fun. Should be here on Thursday. There so much fun i aint played a game on my PC in over 2 weeks.

4 wheel drive 4.6v2 Truggy

My first one the Firestorm 2 wheel drive.

I felt this was the best place to post as theres lots of info in here regarding Rc cars.:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. nico1981

nico1981 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 670GTX
    Just buy him a gun, like m16 assoult rifle, the real one not a :banana: toy