GTX 980 Club - Overclocking - Benchmarks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Veteran, Sep 19, 2014.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    R9 290 Non-X OC(1175/6000) vs 980 GTX OC(1513/8000)

Well did up some benchmarks for some fun.Only did R9 290 Non-x vs 980 GTX

Chart with green and red colours.
    [​IMG]

DataTable % Red where 290 was faster
    [​IMG]

2. wolsty7

wolsty7 Guest

GPU:
    planning on watercooling a 980, would i be fine just getting a reference evga 980 now and watercool later or should i wait for a evga hydro copper/card with better power delivery?

3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    I'm glad I could help :). But If you play crysis 3 already, could you also run 3'd level and see your 980GTX OC perfromnace in one particular place ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O874RDsROrU
    8m 6s in that video. This tree on the edge is using some type of tesselation or something similar :D. When I look at this tree (1080p+SMAAx1, VH details) my fps will drop to 30-35fps. I wonder what OC'ed 980GTX performance could be in this place. IMO it's the most demanding place in entire crysis 3 :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  4. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Will check it now, during that section and the 'down on the water level area' section ( before going up on the dam ) I think it was 60 constant, I only played it a few hours ago but I'll double check.

Once up on the dam it dropped to about 45 frames in a few spots which was the first time since playing from the start of the game that the performance dropped like that.

I will check that specific spot though.

EDIT:

Just checked that scene, 60 frames solid constantly. But I also remembered that on the walk down to that spot through the outside of the crumbing skyscraper where you can see the dam the frames dropped to 45 frames in a few spots. It must be something to do with the draw distances in high places because on that tall building where you can see outside and on top of the dam are the only spots it drops.

5. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Wow, that's nice. If that scene runs 60fps, crysis3 must run flawlessly on your PC. I would like to replace my 680GTX soon, but I want card with at least 6GB Vram :D. I hope 980GTX (maybe 980ti) with 6/8 GB Vram will come out :)

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can Firefox cause driver crashes (TDRs) if you leave it open while playing games?

I left it open last night and experienced one while playing the recently released Gauntlet which is hardly a demanding game. However, I did apply a +100 MHz overclock on the core and a +250 MHz one on the memory, which I'd forgotten about, so I'm not sure whether it was that, or whether it was actually Firefox. I do not experience driver crashes while browsing with Firefox though.

7. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    It really does, 60 frames minimum ( not average ) up until the dam where it would drop to 45 specific points, which I assume is related to some kind of loading, because I could backtrack in the level and cross an invisible point and the frame rate would drop to 45 every time and it did that regardless of whether it was on high or very high. But the rest of the time it runs amazing.

8. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Wow, I'm getting barely any extra overclock out of mine. I started off with +175 on the GPU clock offset and +480 on the mem clock offset and couldn't even run Firestrike. It would just crash and then I'd see driver crashes and recoveries. I kept bringing the memory clock down and was seeing driver crashes all the way down to +350. I dropped it to +150 and +300 and Firestrike would finally run but with massive artifacting.

I've set on +110 and +280 which seems ok so far but haven't given it extensive testing to see if minor artifacts still show.

I feel like this is a bit of a fail. Are you guys playing with anything else for stability like the voltage or the fan speeds? I've been leaving these at default.

9. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    My voltage is default and fan is default. Fan speed ramps up to 70% in heaven and temps max out at 73c.

I haven't tried for higher core or memory and have never had any crashes or artifacts but I might have gotten lucky. Once I hit +250 ( from reference clocks ) and +400mem I just called it a day as it was higher than I ever anticipated.

From all the reviews I read memory doesn't overclock as much as the core and it also doesn't provide as much benefit.

I was aiming for +300 memory after reading the reviews and +200 core.

If you can get +150 core and +250 memory I would be pretty happy with that. I'm certain if you were to compare benches of my clocks vs yours there would only be maybe 2 frames difference.

10. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    I can't reach that overclocking either. I get black screen and then have to reboot my computer. Blah. What's a good, safe oc guide?

11. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Last night I was playing Battlefield 4 and during the map transition, I alt-tabbed to Chrome on my 2nd monitor. I was browsing a bit when my 2nd monitor went blank and my mouse disappeared. I couldn't get my 2nd monitor back no matter what. I had to restart my machine.

I assume it's my overclock causing instability.... but that was weird.

My current overclocks compared to reference are +240 \ +480.

12. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Stock voltage +200mhz max 1452 boost Asic score 67,8% 120min Metro LL
    With overvoltage i think i can hit the 1500mhz boost?

13. tomog

tomog Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 8GB
    Hello. The reason I ask here is not opening another thread. I already posted question on another thread, but my time is limited so I need fast answer. Thanks for understanding.

My dillema is this. Order regular EVGA GTX 980's with reference cooler or SC-Edition? I will be making an SLI setup.
    I already sent request at computeruniverse to order SC-editon(1342MHz Boost Clock) but they mistakely put regular(1216MHz Boost Clock) on the list. I could send a complaint and said that I wished for SC-edition but is there any need?
    The biggest reason I would want SC-edition because it says that non-OC version will be avaliable in 1-2 weeks, and SC-edition is avaliable now.
    So, should I just let it go and wait for regular 980's to arrive or is there much performance increase in SC-editrion in which I would profit?

14. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    I'm getting screen tearing at bottom of screen when scrolling with firefox. Not sure I remember seeing that with my GTX 680. How do I fix that? I got some good scores with RE 5 benchmark. I get Average 184.1 with Fixed, and Average 261.7 in variable.

15. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    I may adjust mine to around there and see how that works out. Btw, I'm using Precision x16. Would I see better results using something else like Afterburner?

I'm just baffled to know how some people are adding 500mhz to their memory clocks without any problems.

16. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Agree

I own the evga 980 super clocked model and I can't even overclock the memory 100mhz and the best overclock on the core was 100 MHZ.

17. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Not sure if you're having the same issue I'm having, but I'm on Nightly fbuild and when alt-tabbed it tends to start filling up memory and VRAM infinitely until it reaches max capacity, which is... less than ideal. It has caused some crashes and (obviously) stutters for me. Currently just closing the browser if I'm not using it as workaround.

18. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Are you getting artifacts or crashes when you go higher?

I haven't run anything too extensive yet at +110 (core) and +280 (mem) except I launched a couple games to ensure they would even launch and looked around for immediate and obvious artifacts. I was getting severe artifacts and driver crashes above +400 (mem).

19. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Are you using E10S? I'm using nightly and I've had no problems like that, but I do also have E10S off.

20. klown07

klown07 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC 4gb
    Final Fantasy: ARR 1920x1080 Maximum settings Score: 11358 Performance: Extremely High

Resident Evil 6 benchmark Max Settings: Score: 20076 Rank: S

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 DX11 Quality Ultra Tesselation Extreme settings 1080p Resolution: FPS 67.9 Score: 1710 Min. FPS 34.2 Max FPS: 140.5 Temps never went above 70c

I had a few tabs of Firefox open, don't know if that makes any difference.