Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Don't say that. That's a lot of damn updates I have to go through. :(

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There are 2 , which one do u mean?

3. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Nobody answered my question :(

Perhaps the issue is persisting probably due to the issues plaguing Windows 8.1, as I've had some pretty nasty issues myself with 8.1. I had since then reverted back to Windows 7 and haven't had any problems whatsoever so far.

I sure hope Windows 9 turns out to be as good as Windows 7, because both 8/8.1 left a very bad aftertaste, and it certainly felt like a complete waste of time & money upgrading to 8/8.1.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375397

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ALright, it appears that removing the drivers and installing them again has taken care of the problem. Hopefully that has fixed it.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You could try the Daniel_K pack stickied at top of this section, don't think SBz is supported though.

That Audigy 2 I had for all these years finally crapped out the other day, OK I thought, np I'll just use onboard till I get a new card.

But then I discovered my onboard DOESN'T WORK!! :D

Seems some Sabertooths have faulty analogue speaker jacks that can't detect speaker inputs... lol

so I rushed out and bought the first X-Fi I found online, lucky a guy near me had a Fatal1ty going for $50. Hopefully it's good card....

But now I have another issue where the sound is lost after every reboot, seems I'm not the only one. Pissing me off cause I can't find the cause yet.

fkn creative :bang:

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So i've noticed something happening in some games that is really starting to get irritating. Two games i know of off the top of my head are TitanFall and Thief. Periodically and randomly certain audio (such as footsteps) will go to one headset, or flip (left becomes right, right becomes left), and it's not all sounds. Problem is, many times when this happens, it continues outside of the game aswell. For instance, i was just playing Thief, and all of the sudden many sounds could only be heard through the left headphone, but not all sounds. So i got out of the game as i can't stand that, problem was, Teamspeak was now also only going in the left speaker, though steam, videos, and windows as a whole weren't. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I use to have that issue when I first got this card. I figured out that my pci-e slot was running at x4. I switched the slot back to x1 and it's been working ever since. Not sure why that would affect it, but it did.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So far so good after 10 hours. I think that fixed it. I will post back if anything else pops up.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Anyone?

11. Agentcalavera

Agentcalavera New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT
    Ive been having this issue the last few weeks and it was fine beforehand.

When it boot/restart/wake my computer i get no sound. it appears to only happen when in stereo direct mode, it doesn't list a device in the audio device selection panel of the control panel. The only way to fix it is to go back to stereo then again to stereo direct, press the SBX Pro Studio button or temporarily enable Scout mode ( the last 2 seems ridiculous because Stereo Direct mode passes all that crap.

does anyone else have this issue/not see a deviced listed in the Z control panel when in direct mode?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I just bought the Z yesterday and I have a weird problem. I apologize if its been answered already but this thread is 35 pages long.

It's more of an annoyance really. If I have the control panel open, when I close my web browser, the last page I was at will automatically open the next time I open the browser. So lets just say for example I was looking at some adult content, the next time I open the browser the last page pops up.

This doesn't happen if the control panel is closed though. So it's not a huge deal because I don't plan on having it open all the time. It's just weird.

13. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    i have had the z for about a year and never had that happen...lol....could be just a browser issue or windows install messed up in some way...but all i use is chrome so i guess it could be an issue with a different browser

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    been quite happy with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ......they go on sale for under a 100 bucks from time to time and they also have many new versions to choose form on amazon....and also like you my z card gives me no issues at all 99% of the time.....every few months i might have to reboot from a glitch, but that about it...and all it takes to fix it

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    How good is this card with surround sound simulation? Thinking about buying a cheap headset to replace my old crusty Creative Fatality headset and don't want to spend a ton of money. The headset will only really be used 1-2 nights a week so I don't need anything fancy.

16. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Stereo Direct uses a different guid (or "device") in registry than the primary sbz guid which is used for all other modes.
    when you switch to Stereo Direct, the primary guid changes its 'devicestate' value from 1 (enabled) to 4 (disabled). this is why you don't see the sound blaster z listed in the audio device selection from sbz control panel.
    apparently this is normal behavior, it just uses a secondary (stereo direct) dedicated device. I haven't tried a restart in that mode though.

I don't know if its of any benefit, but you could simply set the 'devicestate' value in registry back to '1' (while in stereo direct mode), and it will be listed again in control panel \ audio device selection.
    will this bring back sound ? I very much doubt it as obviously it should have worked regardless of you messing about in registry to select a purposely disabled device.

should you decide to verify yourself, the relevant devicestate value is located in registry under the following key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{[COLOR="Red"]guid[/COLOR]}
    where guid is a unique bunch of numbers and letters associated with your device. you might have to search for your specific sound blaster z guid as there may be several guids under the "Render" key.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    no way to decode dolby digital on the input??

all I get is really high pitch sound.

come on it 2014.

18. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

I'm looking at the ATH-M50X option, because as I saw it in the MKBHD review, the coiled cable, plus the ability to remove the cable when the headphone is not in use will come in very handy, at least for me. Because its very dusty where I live, and dust is a major issue for me. I am, however, a bit confused by the Ohm impedance, its quite low. What exactly is the point of having a high impedance headphone ? Will it actually improve sound quality? Will I notice something different that other headphones with lower impedance won't?

I've also been checking out the DT770 Pro (again there are 2 options, 80 ohms vs 250 ohms). If anyone would be kind enough to explain the difference b/w the 2, and which one would be the preferred option, I'd be very much obliged.

Thanks.

19. Agentcalavera

Agentcalavera New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GT
    Thank you. I did fiddle around with the registry but with no luck. such a peculiar thing, its like i have to remind the control panel that its in stereo direct mode. i play a song, i see volume in the mixer but i hear nothing unless i press the SBX pro Studio button.

Clueless.

20. SoftHard

SoftHard Guest

GPU:
    GTX780GHz
    4.0 (4.1) set up

Hi Guys, Iam thinking to buy SoundBlaster Z, I use onboard realtek ALC889 currently with 2.1 speakers (Creative Gigaworks T3) and some cheap (active) Genius as rear, I can set up 4.0 in realtek manager what suits my set up. Is there same possibility with SounBlaster Z, please?