GTX 690 to GTX 980 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Boredofnicks, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Hi guys,

I usually visit to forums a only a reader but this time I need a bit help.

I purchased GTX 690 long ago (one month after its release imo). It still is a great card for 1080p gaming. I can max everything except few VRAM demanding unoptimized or highly-modded games.

But this card is losing its value day by day with each card released with more VRAM with lower price. And I want to change it before more VRAM demanding titles gets released and pull this card's value down further.I didnt want to purchase 780ti only because of 1 more GB of VRAM with same performance. But 980 with 4GB VRAM seems tasty.

I just wanted to know your opinion guys, since there are many experienced people on these forums.I honestly wanted to wait for a DX12 card but imo it will take longer than I thought and I wanna sell this card while it still has a value in it.Besides I want to switch to 1440p gaming as well.

What do you say, shall I sell it now to upgrade it to 980?

Thanks.

2. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

If max return on your money is indeed what drives you then by all means, sell it asap and get a upgrade.
    BTW, 970 and 80's are supposedly DX12 Cards.

3. undercoverb0ss

undercoverb0ss Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690
    I'm in the same boat as you and I am going to wait and see how my GTX690 handles Dragon Age: Inquisition and AC: Unity.

If I can play each at basically max settings at 1080p then I'm going to hang on to it and wait for a GTX990, if they are making one.

Edit: Yea, if you are just trying to get maximum money for your 690 then just sell it.

4. Boredofnicks

Boredofnicks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Yeah it seems its price is at breaking point now with the release of gtx 980. I loved this card, best money spent for a card ever with almost no micro-stutter. I'll sell it this week thx guys.

P.S. if it had as least 3gb VRAM probably I would use it till it melts but I doubt it will be enough to use highest textures used in upcoming games like AC:U and DA. Ofc with lower texture settings it has at least 1-2 more years life span. But as I said, for the value I think as you said it will be better to sell it now. Thanks again.And didnt know 980 was DX12, thx for the heads up mate

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would go for either 2 970 for real cheap. or just buy 2 980, Sell thaty 690 and use it for your gpu upgrade or upgrade another part of your rig. I sold off 2 680ft+ after I got my cards and it financed my ssd and 1440p monitor.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Haha love that avatar, i know were its from as well. Return of the Living dead part 1, that guy gets a baseball bat to the head in the basement. Hahaha

7. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

lol thanks Veteran. That is my fav zombie of all time.
    Its my google profile pic as well and every time I call my wife it pops up huge on her phone...she hates it lol.

Sorry to hyjakk the thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  8. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    I am considering selling my 690 for a 980 too. The 690 has been a great card, sli has come a long way and I haven't had many issues with it at all. But if you hold on to a piece of hardware too long the resale value drops, checking prices on ebay you can get around $500-600 for a used 690, which would cover the cost of a 980. Looking at the benchmarks, it looks like a 980 has the edge, and I would prefer a single core card. Looks like a good time to swap I'd say, I am just waiting for a waterblock to go on sale for it.

9. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    If u still can game @ ultra settings and have really no problems keep it, its still a strong card, i am also in the same situation of buying two gtx 980/970 in sli or wait awhile and just go for a gtx 990 or 980 ti 8gb version.

Then again what wil people give u for a used gtx 690 250 to 300 euro ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  10. demented brave

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    more like 400 euro or higher

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I got rid of my 7950 cfx for a single 970. 7950 cfx is slightly faster than a 690. I love the 970. It performs really well, not quite as fast as a single 970, but these things run cool and quiet, and draw no power.

I would be leaning towards 970 sli if I was you, instead of a single 980. I will be adding a second 970 when I actually need the power.

If you can get that kind of money for your 690, DO IT! It's a no brainer.

I don't think anyone will pay you anywhere near that, no chance. but maybe some will, in your neck of the woods.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    How much of a performance drop did you see, if any, going from 7950 xfire to a single 970?

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it depends. In Wildstar, Wolf, Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and some others I've seen better performance. In BF4 a drop. Still, I can play BF4 at same frame rates as on 7950 cfx, only I had to drop resolution scaling from 140% to 120%.

Overall, I'd say a 10-20% drop overall, but that's ok, I still have plenty of power.

14. demented brave

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    I was just going by the conversion rate from US to Euro actually. $500-600 is what they are selling for on ebay on recent auctions, $450 would probably get it sold fast. Two 970's is an idea, but I would need two waterblocks and they aren't cheap either. And after using sli for a few years with the 690, it would be refreshing to go back to a single card.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So I already made this move and it definitely depends. For me on my 690, I wasn't having any problems till I upgraded to the ROG Swift. At 1440p the 2GB memory on the 690 starts to show in lots of different games, where as at 1080p I only really saw it in Crysis 3 fully loaded out and Skyrim. I only have one 980 now but I plan on buying another down the road.

Anyway for me it was worth it but like I said I'm at 1440p. I don't think I would have made the switch if I was running 1080. With proper scaling the 690 is actually faster than the 980 in a few titles.

16. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    U saying u go for another one later on, just the reference cooler or third party one ?

Because third party cooling are so sexy, and cool much better, with single card set-up.

Hopefully someone here on the forum can give me some info how two third party coolers on sli are on temps on load, any brand from gigabyte msi asus and so on.

17. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    brains!!!

I'm going to wait a bit before upgrading my 590. I'm hoping for a 980ti variant with 6 gigs. Maybe even a 990!

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah the 690 is a fantastic card but at 1440p the 2gb ram is showing its age. Performance wise its still a king, mine is anyhow. Cant wait for the classys to arrive or something even more powerful than that. :)

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    You using a truckload of 4k texture mods and heavy enb's I'm assuming? (Skyrim).

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Reference, I have a custom watercooling loop. Going to buy 2 EK blocks when they become available in the US. (or Koolance depending on who sells them first)

Yeah I honestly have never even beat the game. I would just mod the crap out of it for like 4+ hours play for 20 minutes then mod it again, then it would start crashing and I'd give up for a few weeks and re-install eventually. I might be retarded but I have more fun modding the game then I do playing it.