ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    [​IMG]

@80

I know it's hard to tell but it is a little light across the bottom half of the screen. Sort of in the middle. Then there is the bottom left corner where it seems to spread up the left side a buit and along the bottom. Am I just too fussy? :)

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Its bad but you're not getting better on the Swift. Nearly every screenshot I've seen of bleed on the Swift is pretty bad. In fact this monitor in general is pretty bad in general in my "shifting" opinion. The specs are impressive but the inversion problem, bleed problem, numerous reports of dead pixels and dying monitors 3+ weeks after purchase is absolutely incredible for a monitor that costs $800. At the moment I'm tolerating it but I'll probably end up returning it. ASUS doesn't seem to give a **** about the inversion problem and I can't confirm or not if every monitor has it. I've tried two and they both have it.

The more I use it the less impressed I am with it. I think a lot of people feel the same too they just have a hard time coping with the idea that they bought a $800 monitor that isn't very good.

Anyway that's my opinion.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    What do you guys think of the Acer XB270H Abprz?

I've seen a couple people say they switched to it from the Swift.

It's a 1080p 27", but they haven't encountered the issues they had on the Swift.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been reading this thread from the start, and my opinion has changed too. I'm not sure I will buy this monitor any more, although I would really love the combination aof 1440p, 144Hz and Gsync.
    I could go with the bleed (when do you have a totally dark room and an absolutely black screen, which doesn't happen all the time), the viewing angles (I think I have a TN pannel now too), and probably few dead pixels (my current monitor has one, and I don't even see it unless my whole screen is white), but seriously... for 800$, this isn't what it's supposed to be. Faulty driver support is bad, and in combination with the rest, of the problems, it's a no-buy for me now.

The only problem is, what should one buy if one wants 1440p, 144Hz and Gsync? I haven't seen a proper alternative, and don't see any launching soon, unfortunately.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well to be fair all the G-Sync problems are fixed for me since the latest driver. It works pretty much flawlessly.

But yeah the monitor is incredible on paper, but ASUS's QA for it has been terrible. The overclock forums are full of people getting monitors with weird blotches, 2-8 dead pixels, massive black light bleed and randomly dying after a few weeks of use. You're basically playing russian roulette when you buy one, if you can even find one in stock.

Knock on wood mine has so far been fine with the exception of the inversion. And that alone is enough to make me not want it.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well "congratulations" then :D
    Still, it's a problem of competition... I checked again today, nobody brings on 1440p, 144Hz and 26" or 27". If only ONE other manufacturer would build such a display, even without Gsync, they would have a lot of potential customers. The same will happen when freesync is released sometime next year (which is ridiculous, and way to late imho), if they build a 1440p and 144Hz model.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What is this "inversion" problem you are talking about?

Also, idk if I've asked this before but has anyone encountered problems with the monitor suddenly turning itself off when you change resolution ingame? This has happened to me in three games now (just once though, since the game saves the setting after I hardboot the computer). Last game was Diablo 3. When I first launched it it was set at 1920x1200@60Hz (my old monitors setting) and when I changed to 2560x1440@100Hz (what I'm running now) it turned itself off and after 3 minutes the computer froze and reset itself.

A sidenote would be that D3 does not work well with G-sync unless the refresh rate is set to 60Hz. Anything above causes massive stuttering but if set to 60Hz things are smooth. The game isn't capped at 60fps is it?

I had warm bottom bezel on my first monitor, dont know if I have the same problem on my second. Also text and in games (WoW name plates or Tera chat bubbles) loose sharpness when I move the camera - that and very fast scrolling in desktop browser. Don't know if that's what you mean too?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    Man, this thread has been a real eye opener...I don't think I can possibly buy this monitor and feel good about myself. In canada it's $899.99 + Tax/shipping which comes to roughly $1050 and at that price level I want a monitor to be pretty much perfect....and on this site and some others I monitor there has been a laundry list of complaints of which many seem quite severe

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly.

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    ****, I want a damn GSync monitor :(

I was on the edge of buying this, but now I'm reading this thread again >.<
    What should I do?

I don't want another 1080p monitor. I want it to be at least 1200p or 1440p.
    Now currently this monitor is the only one that fits those specs.

There was just news posted that NVidia won't support FreeSync.
    Should I just go for it anyway and hope I'm lucky with the monitor? I can't stand this 60Hz bull**** anymore and I'm done with vSync input lag as well. I'm upgrading to dual 970's pretty soon so I'll have a good bit of horse power to run this at higher than 60 fps.

What do you guys think? >.< There is just no other alternative.

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I would say go for one. I am loving mine. I don't get any of the issues that other people speak of. Games are so much better on it.

The only issue I have is slight clouding in the bottom left corner as the pics already in this thread but I don't think its even that bad. I only notice it when a scene goes black

14. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I think I'll just do it, it can never be worse than my current.
    Unless dead pixels...

Then the next question is, while I'm at it, should I order a 3d vision 2 kit with it? :eyebrows:
    I really like to try this stuff out and I've read only good things of kit 2 :D

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, if you order one, be ready to opt for RMA, and possibly some time without your new monitor gem. Just to mention it, keep your old monitor, don't give it away the second you get the Swift ;)

16. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    I don't own a gsync monitor yet, I just wanted to bring up something that's been heavily looked over in most gsync theads. Gsync and microstutter.

I've been testing our my friends swift while he's out of the country with sli gtx 670's, coming from a Catleap 2b @ 133hz. And I have always been kind of a snob about ips screens since I got my u2711 a few years ago (which i then upgraded to the catleap). However back then I was using a amd 6990. I still have it laying in the cupbourd. I remember talking to people about my severe microstutter issues back when I got the 6990. And then upgrading to the 670's and the catleap, mostly because nvidia had frame pacing that AMD simply did not at the time. Nobody else really cared, and questioned my move to nvidia. However for me it was night and day. I was so happy with my 670's that i did not even pay a great deal of attention to the sli microstutter. Since it was so drastically improved. Since then i've been switching backwards and forwards between a single gtx 670 and sli. And while i never see visible chunky stutters like i did with AMD - the general framerate in about 1/3 of games feels less flowing on the catleap @ sli @ 133hz than catleap @ single gpu @ 133hz. Assassins Creed black flag for example only gives me 32-35fps as opposed to 54-60fps with sli. Yet the game somehow feels smoother at 30fps. Regardless of 30fps being a very console framerate.

So now that I have lowered my standards for color reproduction I've been using the swift with these sli gtx 670's. And the microstutter or feeling that the framerate is 'not quite right' is gone entirely, and it does not end there. The sensation of gsync with these sli cards is smoother than a single gpu constantly hitting refresh with vsync enabled. I've seen countless posts on different forums saying things like this:

"I don't see what the big deal about gsync is, I don't really notice any difference"

"The swift is good for competitive games because it's quick responding, but everything else does not compare to my ips 60hz monitor"

"All gsync does is remove tearing, i don't even notice tearing so it's no big deal to me"

--- And so on.

I am someone that enjoys singleplayer games, competitive games are not even remotely something I care about. Yet gsync for me is a godsend. It almost eliminates microstutter from a framerate perception standpoint (loading stutters still remain, yet they are far less frequent). Yet so few people (about 1% of gamers?) seem to actually care about this.

It's as if we come from different universes of perception. Anyway, for those of us prone to microstutter (And yes, it does exist on single gpu's as well) it's the closest thing to a 'cure' that I've yet seen. And for that reason it's the best technology upgrade i've ever seen in my life.

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Well I just ordered the whole lot :puke2:
    I'll just hope it's not gonna be bad for me. I'll probably use my current monitor as long as possible as second screen. Sometimes it starts to show blue lines, but nothing that a quick on and off can't fix :bang:

That above post makes me excited again xD

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe congrats on your purchase, and I hope you don't experience the problems other's have seen. I am waiting to see if there will be a Rev2 of the Swift sometime...

19. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Don't get me wrong though, the swift is not the best monitor on the planet or anything. I just think gsync is seriously underrated, and I see it as so much more than just something that removes screen tearing and allows input rates to remain high. For me these things are way less important than gsync and what it does to microstutter, both for single gpu's and sli.

ULMB is nice, because I also care about motion perception, however i find it amplifies microstutter rather than reduces it. So it's only really useful for games that have a lot of moving text that you want to read, that also have a 100% consistent framerate at all times that matches a ulmb compatible refresh rate. And that set of circumstances is far less frequent than what gsync covers.

20. rochyroch

rochyroch Member

GPU:
    Palit 980GTX SuperJet
    VultureX,
    I don't think you will be disappointed, i received my Swift yesterday.
    I was a little worried after reading the hype & problems of the Swift, sometimes i'm left disappointed when i hear so much hype for something & it doesn't live up to the expectations that i've created in my head from the hype.
    I dreaded spending so much money on a monitor & having dead pixels.

Well after spending a night with the monitor & going through my steam library + a couple of origin games all i can say is,
    i am blown away..
    i still can't get my head around how good good battlefield 4 looks @ 2560x1440 on the Swift, i'm surprised i didn't die more as i spent most of the time standing there just looking around.
    I even went back and played some Titanfall this also looks really good @ 1440p with a super smooth image.

I'm not sure if i'm just lucky or Asus have tightened up their quality checking as i haven't a single dead pixel.

Its one of the best purchases i have made in a long time.