Nvidia GTX 980 Specs Leak all over the WWW

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    gtx 680 was high end on release. And yes, completely agree with you on the rest of your post. But that doesn't change the fact that the gtx 980 is nVidia's top end card.

Why should they go for a lot faster gpu when they can make money out of the 980? It's business, simple as. It's like Sergey Bubka, who dominated pole vault in the late 80s, early 90s. Nobody was anywhere near him, yet he kept beating his own world record by 1-2 cm. No need to do more when you don't need to. Still, Bubka was the best pole vaulter on the planet at the time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_pole_vault_world_record_progression

EDIT: not sure why guru now censores wiki.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  3. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Neither am i - im glad i didnt bother waiting for 980, like everyone told me to half a year ago :p

4. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    That you dont get the point, cant really surprise anyone - now back on ignore.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Ok like I thought..

This is what I get @ 1200 mhz :p will definitely wait for full GM200/210.

EDIT: ok I lied i get near 11k, but still OC'ed 980GTX and get ~ few 5fps more, not really impressed..

Good for those who waited this long, I don't regret getting mine for 329€ ^^

6. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    It was low tdp, cut down version of full gk110 Kepler - which is titan (Black)/gtx 780(Ti). Many saw it as high end on release, because it performed like it, and Nvidia saw no point in releasing the real deal, since AMD had nothing ready to counter it.
    I thought it was common knowledge after titan came out...
    I know the speculation was, whether Nvidia had gk110 ready in 2012, but I choose to believe that they did, and held it back, it is a business after all.

Update: Ok, I see you updated, and we agree now ;-) And as I see it, high end for you is Nvidia nomenclature derived (hence 980 follows 780, which is high end undtil now), but for me it is a mix of new architecture with full spec sheet for it, and gtx 980 ain't it :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, so how is the 980 not high end? go.

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    You hit the nail on the head.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    we do. it's just common business practise. Still, it doesn't take away from the fact that it's nVidia's fastest chip.

10. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    But not the one, many expected!!!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is absolutely no way Nvidia could have released GK110 in March 2012. Sorry. GTX680s and 690's were near impossible to get until late May early June that year due to the manufacturing at TSMC @ 28nm. GK110 would either have been ~$1500 or they'd make one working chip a week. Yeah the side effect to that is them making money and im sure that no competition played a role in their decision but the bottom line is GK110 couldn't have been released then even if they wanted it to be.

And it's pretty obvious why both Nvidia and AMD moved to refresh cycle between each major architecture upgrade. I posted it about it earlier in the same thread. This **** costs a **** ton of money to design and architect. Prices of GPU's have hardly increased much over the years compared to the cost of inflation, manufacturing and design. Intel realized this years ago and is the reason why they switched to a Tick-Tock release cycle.

GM204 is perfectly fine for a release. If you don't like the performance wait and buy something else down the line. This isn't rocket science.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    No release yet? Get yourself down the pub like I am discussing business of course :)

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Not sure why some in this thread talk as if "well, its only 5% faster, so no point to this card" with attitude..

You guys know that people can buy this card, and then *gasp* SELL IT, when something new and better comes along right?
    Sheesh. Sometimes the positions people take on here are pretty ridiculous to me.

I will grab one of these 980GTX, and then down the line if a TI does emerge with more vram, I'll just upgrade to that when its available. What's so hard about this?

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Seriously so far the only ones disappointed are 780 owners lol, so what you wait another 3-6 months and you'll get your 1000$$ titan II, im happy the rest of us are getting cheaper and seemingly a little faster 780s with much lower tdp :p Hell the main reason i didnt jump on a r9 card was mostly that insane tdp

15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Time to make some popcorns...

Please guys stop it, no need for argue about this, better grab some chick near you and burn some testosterone with... you know :banana:
    Funny about this (and every other) release of high-end GPU's from new generation is that always there are some (jealous maybe?) guys spiting on new technology arguing with others waiting miracle to happen and those who look and expect for some real benefits of new technology.

All in all I see A LOT of unused testosterone hore, boiling, lol

edit
    Cut the crap, my lady is not going to be near me tonight so my "stick" is going to stay "dry" tonight ant that's why I'm also nervous a bit... What the hell, I also have need to burn some testosterone righ here - right now, so question is who's gonna agrue with me tonight here and for what? Any volunteers? ;)

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Most in the know have been predicting exactly this kind of performance from the 980. I said about 10% faster than the 780ti a few weeks ago, today I said if it's between 10-15% faster, it's a decent buy. And the first charts point at roughly 13% faster card overall. Anyone expecting a massive upgrade needs a reality check.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Also, don't forget that a 980 that is 13% faster than a 780ti right now will most likely become around 20% faster with a better driver. Then you have the extra vram to shut up those vrammongers, also low TDP and a cool chip. I really don't see what is not to like about this release.

exactly and I might just grab a 970 or 980 because I will have a quiet and cool gpu that doesn't consume a ton of power.

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Spot on. Yes this card is for those that are on 6 series or less that want a one card solution with enough memory and have the option of SLI later.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm a 780 owner but not disappointed at all as I will not be replaceing that card with this, however I will likely replace my 670's with a pair of 980's (most likely classified or lightning). The cool thing about them is the efficiency I can run them on my same PSU I have been using. If I went to a pair of 780/780Ti's I would need a 1KW unit and as I've sleeved this PSU I have no desire to sleeve a new one.

20. alisaman

alisaman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 WC
    The die size reductions should mean more chips per wafer, if I'm not mistaken. Gtx 580 had die size of 520 mm2, gtx 680 294 mm2 - only 56% of gtx 580. Gtx 750ti has a die size of 148 mm2, comparable gtx 660 is 221 mm2 - 43% difference.