GTX 980 amount of vram ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by D4rKy21, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    At the moment definitely not, but for titles coming out in the next couple years, I think so. I imagine 3Gb will be scratching the surface of a memory bottleneck on some upcoming titles at max settings. Or at least I hope so :)

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I don't know about you, but I'll be out of gpu power long before I'm out of vram in the next couple of years.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, my next gpu will ideally have 4gb vram. 4gb vram will be enough even for SLI/CFX. And a year or two from now, when I feel I need more power, I'll upgrade again. To a more powerful gpu, with 6-8gb vram. But for the next couple of years, 4gb is plenty. You will run out of gpu grunt way before vram.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    This is borderline retarded. No, actually, it IS retarded. The fact that the trolls are still pushing this concept and you guys keep responding is hilarious. If you want to pay more for VRAM you won't use, be my guest.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, you responded too. Sometimes it's difficult to spot a troll. These people should be banned though. People who talk nonsense, get called out on it and never have anything to back up their claims.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nothing ever happens to the vast majority of them people, unless the are downright cursing, major flaming etc.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Shame, it's the people who get wound up by this drivel and start arguing who get infractions, more often than not. It's been blatantly obvious that vulture, this op and some others just come here to troll and nothing happens.

8. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Nvidia is always 1 gb below amd why is that also bus is slower
    nvidia make less vram that not enoght for one year!
    there no 980 yet and 3gb not enought
    like users want do triple 4k setup and only option is titan
    all cards need be same amount of vram and that amount of vram that will be enoght for 2years
    because i need spend all my month payment from the work to one card and after half year there vram limitation or not enoght power

see intel prosesors are enoght for long time i can use cpu 2 - 4 years

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I mean technically, yeah. But once. And just to encourage letting this thread die.

The reason nothing happens is because we're all just expected to be "civil", even to blatant trolls who purposely spread misinformation as part of their act. Moderators are only instructed to hand out infractions for actual harsh language and flaming, and nothing else. At least, that's what I've inferred over the last few months.

If Hilbert and the mod staff are fine with garbage being posted as fact, and the forum/site's reputation for you know, knowing what the hell we're talking about going to the toilet, then that's fine.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    At least it keeps people posting when I'm bored

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah, Vram overhead is a sensible way to extend the life of a GPU, plus it makes CF/SLI a cheap upgrade option down the road...(in fact thanks to ASIC mining I just scored a 2nd VaporX for $200).

But there's a difference between sensibility and insanity.....

2yrs ago a 3GB 7970 vs 2GB 680 might be considered sensible, the extra 1GB is quite handy today...... but buying a 6GB 7970 at 40% price premium would prob come under "insane insanity".....:D

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah if you get like a 6gb r9 280x is just insane and not wise either due to the fact you will run out of GPU power before running out of vRAM and for around the same price you can get an r9 290.

13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I often wonder if the reported memory use is actually accurate in some games.

In some operating systems (eg Redhat), the operating system will show a process using more RAM than it actually has allocated, it's only freed when more RAM is needed by another process.

I don't know how memory allocation works with GPUs but sometimes I feel that something similar is happening because somebody with 2GB VRAM and another with 3GB both report that a certain games maxes out their VRAM but they don't see any performance issues.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    "Im thinking of running a PC submerged in cooking oil"

15. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Oh you missed it? It existed, and of course people fell for it. Just like people are falling for 4GB 760's and 6GB 780's today. That FX might be an exaggerated example, but it is the same false sense of 'future proofing' people unnessesarily pay extra for today.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, I am pretty sure that some hitching/stutter starts to happen (or just lower performance) when SC hits that 3GB wall, which usually happens after loading area (that's when the vram usage goes through the roof). Though at this point there are numerous reasons for hitching/stuttering in that game though... I'd need to have same card with higher memory to be sure about the negative effects.

The one thing that I liked about my R9 290 was the 4GB ram. It's basically the sweet spot and enough in every game (at least at 1080p).

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    b
    The only place it existed was in your head. Nvidia didn't have a 512Mb card until NV40. :p

Yeah I hear what you're saying.....but tbh these threads are starting to look like nothing more than trollbait....

Seems a bit suss how so many on the same topic have popped up in such a short time....

18. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Couldn't agree more... this fear of being future proofed leads to insanity, like 32GB of system ram on a gaming rig.

Nice find on the second card by the way, wonder how it will oc compared to the first ;)

19. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080

Ok so you made me start to doubt myself. There is no 5200 with 512MB indeed, . There is one with 256MB though. Where the hell did I get that? Well, I hope you got my point lol.

20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Maybe not 32gb but 16gb is worth having, memory leaks or not ive gone well over 8gb plenty of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.