Impossible to find a quality gaming monitor nowadays ? Just want to spend my money !

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by szakh, Sep 15, 2014.

1. szakh

szakh Guest

GPU:
    GTX980ti EVGA SC+@1501Mhz
    Here is my story...

1. I bought a AOC G2460PG G-Sync monitor two weeks ago, received it and immediately RMA it. The G-Sync is incredible but the AOC panel was full of clouding in the bottom of the screen : Guru3D Forum Thread link

2. So, I received my RMA AOC G2460PG G-Sync monitor 3 days ago and send it back to my reseller immediately. The AOC panel was wost than the 1st on, with 2 distinct clouding zone in the bottom of the screen and 3 beautiful muras...

=> My Guess, AOC bought budget panels, add the 200$ G-Sync module and sell them as top notch techno... I am sorry AOC but my AOC G2460PG G-Sync experience is horrible for now.
    Oh, I have no doubt my reseller will sell this monitor to someone else and that this guy will say "Wahou this monitor is sooo great"... Disappointing

3. So, I have my money back but still no new gaming monitor. Ohhh, what is more important than a monitor for a gamer. Let's spend money in order to have something great ! Let's buy the Asus ROG Swift G-Sync monitor ! Hell yeah, 800€ but I want something great !
    Damn I have a little doubt now... Let's check google using "ROG SWIFT PG278Q issue"... And... And... What are all these thread everywhere ? WHAT ? It seems like half of these monitor are broken, bleeding, clouding... on a 800€ monitor ??? Honestly ?

Oh, no, no, no, I just want a gaming monitor, I have 1000€ to spend, even more if I am sure about the quality of the product... It seems like this is impossible nowadays to have quality product, I do not want to have an half broken product I just want something deserving I spend my money on it...

For example, I am currently using a 4 or 5 years old DELL U2311H with no bleeding, no clouding, no dead pixel, with black black and white white... OK, it's IPS I know, but damn, this is 5 years old ! Is this possible nowadays to have something good ???

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not a monitor as such, but if I had that money to spend, Oculus Rift DK2 would be first one my list, had a play with my brothers over the weekend, mind blowingly amazing

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can relate to you. I would have been all in on the Swift, but with so many RMAs it's like you're most likely getting a screen somebody else has sent back, because it feels like they would have to build 1000 of those monitors to really get 400 to the customer, the rest are RMAs, like they calculate 1.5 monitors per customer to get it right. Surely I'll wait for that thing, see how it turns out price wise, and if the RMAs tend to slow down over time with a second batch of monitors they produce.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    hahaha... I'm still using a CRT. On my 3rd G520 now since last week my previous one lost the "R" part of sRGB. :D

Unfortunately they're getting hard to find....

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The last CRT I had was also easy to repair, simply cutting out a slightly bigger square in the casing for a new power switch since the first one wasn't able to be turned on anymore :D

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I pretty happy with my Asus VG248QE which i tweaked following the guides to get the color right and it is one of the monitors which supports the G-sync board. I haven't gotten the G-sync addon since I don't fancy opening up my monitor to try to install it, Plus I use 3D vision 2 at times, I fine with Adaptive Vsync but I have been running with no vsync to see if I notice tearing i hardly do. Tho its 24 inch so you might not be pleased with that.

But yea after I tweaked the colors I got it to look really nice, it wont look right until it is tweaked because stock config is funky. While the 27inch model suppose to be better in that aspect. Which would be a good choice for you, if you still want a G-sync compatibility monitor as both the 24 inch and the 27inch are compatibility.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  7. szakh

szakh Guest

GPU:
    GTX980ti EVGA SC+@1501Mhz
    Thanks a lot for the advice, 24' is perfect but I already RMA 2 VG248QE when they were released, the issue was that these monitors were "buzzing" as soon as they were at 120Hz. The PSU was inside the monitor if I remember and it was buzzing enough to be unbearable for me. Is this the same for you ? Or do ASUS solved this issue ?

The good point about the AOC GSync is that the PSU is outside the monitor and therefor no buzzing, no noise, silence...

By the way, do you have clouding, brightness homogeneity issue or any other problem with your ASUS ? Thanks ;) !

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I'm in the same boat.

Initially I was set on getting the RoG Swift, but after reading several complaints about it I lost interest.

At the moment I just want a g-sync gaming monitor that runs flawless and I don't care if it's 1080p. I tried going back to my Dell IPS and 60Hz doesn't cut it, not worth even playing on IMO.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Mine doesn't buzz at 120hz or 144hz no issues at all. But I bought my VG248QE almost a month ago. The only thing that i don't like about it, is it trashy monitor speakers but I kind of expected that when i got it. Might as well not include them.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh man... I checked again yesterday, still nothing with 1440p, 26 or 27", 144Hz, and gsync anywhere to be seen. I wish there was a cheeper alternative, or at least any alternative for that 730€ monster of a screen :D
    I dont want to buy another 1080p monitor though... I want my eyes to be amazed and enjoy it and really really be blown away by my new rig and screen, and I don't see that happening with 1080p, but that's just me.

Has anybody heard of anything that's even vaguely announced to compete with the Swift?

11. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I guess we have to wait for the new DisplayPort standard that includes FreeSync.

I would also like to see some 16:10 screens. 1200p is still the best for me and I want to finally get rid of the input lag of 60Hz vSynced screens!

12. idrr

idrr Guest

GPU:
    g.skill 32gb
    i will buy a monitor if it will
    4k+ultra wide+ips+g-sync/free sync+60hz+5ms+good input lag+10-bit real colors+34inch

13. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Buy another IPS??? I will never buy a non IPS monitor after using one for my desktop and after buying a laptop with an IPS display. They are beautiful, crisp and clear. I have a Dell Ultra Sharp from 2012 that's gorgeous.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't you wanna buy a korean and overclock it? 300 euros max. Running this at 115hz right now and it's amazing.

15. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Do you have one of those Catleaps? Those are IPS right?

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you dont mind 1080p 24" => downsample ie 2560x1440 or 3200x1800

get 24" 120Hz VA panel @ Eizo FG2421 for ~ 400$

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014