Microsoft buys Minecraft

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by southamptonfc, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    So bye bye to Java and the 1001 exploits it has?
    Never understood why it's so popular, it's a boring ugly game, I'd rather play Seaquest all day on the Atari 2600

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Candyland

Candyland Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 4G
    Nothing against Minecraft but 2.5 billion $??? Really? Does Minecraft have such a high userbase? I can'T understand the high price.

3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Probably the whole idea. The 42% will end the struggle pretty much :nerd:

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's essentially digital Lego, there's a huge market for that sort of thing. I'm not keen on Minecraft personally, the visuals literally give me a headache, but I can well understand why people enjoy it. That said, I always preferred Terraria personally.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Man, big companies are so desperate and so devoid of ideas that they´ll buy anything remotely succefull for billions even if it´s worth millions!

And some guys get lucky and filthy rich because of it, lucky bastards.

As for what Notch said about Oculus, it just proves he´s another guy that says one thing and does another, like 90% of people.

6. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    So, Windows 10 will have destructible interface? :D

7. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X

LOL
    he reached cap on hypocracy level

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wow, that's a lot of money (£1.5bn)! Considering there were 54 million copies of minecraft sold, then this equate to £28 per copy or player. That seems like a big investment, how much can they hope to earn from each player in the future, at least £28??!! I've never played minecraft, so don't know if this is a sensible investment, nor how they can get their return on investment - I know I'm missing something here - why did they do it?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    ^ +1 Made me laugh.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

You want?
    [​IMG]

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, this might finally get me into minecraft... as I have a Windows Phone (Lumia 1320) and from what I understand they plan to bring this on their mobile gaming department. As for the guy becoming a billionaire, well... good for him I guess, it's his choice and it sure is the easy way. But I'm sure if he kept going that he would have ended even richer in the end, but with far more effort of course.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sounds like someone is butthurt that they didn't come up with the Minecraft.

13. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Notch was already making millions. With this cash he can start a new company and do what ever he wants and not fear going under. I am actually hopeful he is successful.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  14. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    Another great developer bites the dust just like Rare

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Java exploits are because of it having a browser plugin (which it should of never had). But I could care less if it's Java (the 360 version is already in C++ ). It's not that, it's that the mod devs have had enough waiting for the fabled "mod api" to pop up. If Mojang already was hassle enough for the mod community, then Microsoft is going to be the final nail.

My point is that any development from here on out is obviously going to be for Microsoft's benefit.

16. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    oh man... to be a billionaire! i'd be happy with a lottery win, but a BILLION!? thats just nuts...

to be honest, everyone is slamming this guy as being a hypocrite and all that good stuff, but who cares? its business, and business is a dog-eat-dog world full of people who really dont give a rats ass about how people percieve them.

well done for making a sickening amount of money, if it was me i would be retiring and booking regular trips on virgin galactic :p

17. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    that game really sucks playing on a phone

18. Drexir

Drexir Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    Well I guess I'll be the odd ball and point out a potential different perspective. But I'll cut out the average joe boring stuff.

1) Guy doesn't like corporate world. Doesn't like the day in day out mundane routine. With all it's strict rules and people breathing down his neck.

2) Leaves the corporate world behind so he can focus on daydreaming, ideas; then experiment with those ideas.

3) Now since he can't do that for free. He figures he might be able to survive as a lone wolf by releasing a game.

4) The game unexpectedly booms. From thousands to millions of people playing your game. Not to mention the media attention it grabbed in the process.

5) Now you're stuck. Millions of people watching you and waiting for you to make your next move.

6) Then you realize your back in the corporate world. Only this time instead of having a few people breathing down your neck daily to now having millions.

7) The intellectual freedom is constrained even more. Wanting a way out.

8) Then somebody comes along and says I'll pay you $2.5 billion dollars to have your intellectual freedom back.

Question is would you do the same as he did? It doesn't matter because you may not even have the same personality. Much less you have probably never been in that situation. Hell not many people have.

It's always a good exercise to try and change your perspective.

19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't really get what's the whole fuss about? Check out how much people paid for Snapchat. Is it "better" than Minecraft?

I can congratulate Marcus for making an awesome piece of software and gathering people around it, and Microsoft for getting something that was worth that much. It's a win-win. Players will get more support, and Marcus will be able to focus on programming again without all the burden related to managing a company and so big product. MS... well they'll probably make some money, promote their products, and with so many ongoing research projects who knows what else?

Also, Khronikos - stfu. Oh whoa he left for money how bad is that ohhh let's cry. Stop whining and make a better game, for free, and support it with your whole life while some lousy people discuss how unmoral you are.

Bladeforce - nobody has killed Marcus. He'll be doing fine with more time to focus on programming. I don't consider it biting the dust.

20. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Notch Says To Schafer AGAIN “Lets Make Psychonauts 2 Happen”