AMD Catalyst 14.x BETA (14.300.1005.0 August 27)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. panogr

panogr Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800XT Ref

I am convinced .

downloading now

2. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Just a question...

@all of you saying that AMD's USB filter driver messes up Intel's USB driver/settings (on Intel chipset mobos) and you cannot "wake up" your monitor!

How can a driver that probably doesn't even install (since there is no compatible hardware, aka AMD MB Chipset) cause such a thing?

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i left it enabled, and as you say, it didnt even install.

My guess is something else is going on.

4. Bulldog

Bulldog Guest

GPU:
    HD Radeon 5000\GTX 1060
    No issues with 5830 in dynamic.

It's probably a long shot but KB2982791 on W8\.1 caused boot loops for some users.

5. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    I could be wrong but this USB filter driver is not a USB hardware driver as such. It 'sits' between the USB (driver) and any connected USB peripherals. Its purpose is to add finer controls, enhanced interactions or data interpretation/conversion for the attached USB peripherals.

For instance: Data being sent to printers usually goes through several filters (provided in the printer software installation) to convert it into a format which the printer understands and to apply such things as page management options, or instructions like 2 pages per sheet, only page 1, 3, and 9, ... to it.

So yeah, it is not a usb driver. And nothing to stop it getting installed if it is selected - it is not dependant on having particular hardware in your system. It should just sit there unused and only be called upon if there is a compatible USB device that triggers it's injection. Well, that's my understanding of what filter drivers are.

Is something tripping this filter unintentionally, causing this keyboard mouse disconnect? Maybe. Anything is possible I guess.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If I recall right from the readme, the filter helps prevent the USB port from doing something unwanted when the system sleeps. Not too sure specifically.

With this driver, I recall seeing two different USB Filter drivers. One for the usual USB 1.0/1.1 audio device thing, and the other for something else. Not sure what that's about though.

But in any case, I've had the screen wake issue on both AMD and Intel hardware, so I really don't think anything regarding an AMD chipset is the exact cause, at least for some people.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Installed these myself yesterday (used custom install and de-selected the USB driver and the ACP application).

Installed fine and works fine so far, tested with Doom 3 Sikkmod, Mortal Kombat, Alan Wake, Thief (Mantle) and Castlevania LoS.

Temps are the same as with 14.4 WHQL so the heat issue is gone. Performance seems solid but those titles ran at a locked 60 fps anyway... (apart from few dips in SikkMod).

Gonna reinstall Metro games for example and do some further testing tonight.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's different for you though, you have an AMD system. The issue is because of the driver modification, the USB filter driver shows on Intel systems, as well as the ACP app showing on non-trueaudio cards. They not only show, but install!

The modified driver should really only be installed by people who have at least some inkling of what they're doing, so a custom install should be done. It is at this point where the non-relevant stuff should be unchecked.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I've had the issue on previous drivers though, and really don't recall anything AMD-chipset-related being installed on my Intel system.

This has been happening to me as far back as the 12.* series from what I can recall (or as long as I had my 7850 card), so ACP definitely isn't the problem, for me anyway.

I've had my 7850 replaced recently also, and still noticed the wake issue, so I don't believe it's the hardware either.

I've also only seen this happen on Windows. I have 0 screen wake issues on Linux, with both radeon and fglrx.

10. No problems on Linux also with these...

But there is one big BUT... Steam... I cannot download nor Metro nor Witcher2, something is screwed, it starts downloading and then in few seconds the download ceases to zero. So no further testing possible for me :(. (Mind 17 KDE)

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    You sure it has something to do with the display driver?

Sounds like a separate issue to me... what kind of an Internet connection do you use?

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    sounds like a network problem, nothing to do with display drivers.

13. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Thank you Bulldog! Much appreciated!

I will ask another Envy 14 user if he can test 14.8. It could very well be the KB since a lot of 5xxx users are now reporting Dynamic to be working.

14. Optical fiber... 100Mb to both ends, gosh we don't have bad Internet connections in my country.

I guess yea they are separate issues. But I totally cannot crack down the culprit... I hope not something kernel related or Mint specific. Toggling servers does not change the behavior.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i was going ot suggest checking the event logs, but apparently you are using Linux.

I wasnt aware Metro and Witcher2 ran on Linux, or are you running them through Wine?

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Metro and Witcher 2 should have Linux versions available by now.

Witcher 2 also had a update a while ago to fix - disable - a currently broken ARB extension on AMD GPU's but AMD has said they'll fix it in the next driver release.
    (EDIT: Update was actually released yesterday. - http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2/witcher_2_linux_has_been_updated )

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    didnt know it was out so soon, i remeber them announcing it.

18. iivanoff

iivanoff Guest

GPU:
    HD7970 GHz WindForce
    Very good driver, stable, without 2D/3D flickering.

performance increasing in Passmark, from 5700 to 5720

- > GB 797OC rev. 2.1 1090/1600 MHz!

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  19. Alph4Dawg

Alph4Dawg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC
    Seems like memory leak and FPS drop, as well as stuttering is not only an BF4 issue but issue with latest AMD drivers as well.

DICE LA dev said it on twitter (bottom pic)

[​IMG]

20. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I don't care about their gibberish, the problem (at least for me) appeared immediately after July update, affected all drivers until now and have been solved by renaming a simple file. And not to forget on my system (I have 8 GB) it appear only in large maps, on small maps memory usage stay constant below 5 GB.