Warning - Gigabyte 780ti OC and Ghz - don't buy

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Denco, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    i have 8+8 on my non TI.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That doesn't count, it's a reference card. The only Gigabyte part in it are the stickers. Their own designs suck balls. You have to be really lucky if you receive card that doesn't have coil whine or fan issues. I sold my GTX 780 GHz Edition, bad card. Only good thing about it was the Hynix vram.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What's so good about Hynix? I have that now and it OC's like **** once I start Oc'ing both gpu and ram.. :(

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My hynix go up to 7800, though I run them at 7516. They are generally about as good as samsung. with elpida being a distant 3rd.

5. hml980313p

hml980313p Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX650
    As for the artifacts, I’ve RMA my GIGABYTE N78TOC-3GD three months ago. Since then, my card seems to be healthy and great. I suggest you claim warranty and RMA the card. I’m pretty sure GIGABYTE can fix it!

6. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I've always thought gigabytes GPU's and mobo's were garbage. I like MSI's gpu's the standard gaming series for receiving some of the lowest sound levels compared to its competitors. The MSI N7x0 Gaming cards have the best sound profiles and lowest dB. If all you care about is performance and reliability EVGA classified is top dog. So I'd say go with msi or evga if you want an nvidia card. amd has been so crappy lately I'm not even sure who is good over there.

7. Skylinee

Skylinee Member Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 780ti OC
    Hi, i have the normal OC edition (GV-N78TOC-3GD, had it since February), and i got a few questions.

I do NOT have problems with artifacts (i've run 3DMark11 Deep Sea several times), BSOD's or random restarts.

I DO have problems with: Random TDR's in SOME games (Wildstar, GW2 and Watch Dogs), but the majority of games are problem free.

I have had 2 system-freezes (hard-reboot required) since february while gaming, once in Wildstar and once in Sniper Elite v2. These could have been because of MSI Afterburner's ''low level hardware access interface'' option which is known to be buggy in some games (not just Bad Company 2).

This is the worst problem i have: System hard-freezing in Firefox.

Whenever i'm browsing a random website while scrolling down, it completely locks up my system. I notice the mouse cursor lagging slowly around for 1-2 seconds before it freezes completely. Complete freeze, no CTRL-ALT-DEL or anything. Screen just stays like this until i reboot.

I've read a few reports about Nvidia drivers being buggy with Hardware Acceleration in Firefox, but i'm unsure if this is an unstable GPU or just some driver-issues (i've had these browser-problems since 337.88 and 340.52).

Any advice what to do? I've allready slightly underclocked both core and memory by 100 in Afterburner, so it's currently at 1050 (core at boost) and 3402 (memory). So far no issues, but it may take as long as a week or more before Firefox crashes my system.

Do i chance an RMA of the card? I may end up getting an even worse card in return if i do, and these problems might have nothing to do with the GPU itself. In general, people with Gigabyte usually artifact instantly in 3DMark11 if there is a big problem with their stability.

8. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    This is the biggest reason I RMA'd my card. Random freezing that happened every now and then and because it was mostly rare it was hard to pinpoint. It took me a month to realize it was my new gpu doing it.

Basically yea, RMA your card because I couldn't find a fix for it and no disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox will not fix your issue.

EDIT: If you get a worse card RMA it back. Graphic cards should not have any issues when you buy them, period.

9. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    I heard similarly terrible stories about GTX 780 Ti from GigaByte...

10. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    This is unbelievable. So after a month I got my gpu back. They didn't said anything whats wrong with it only that its fixed. Granted they did fix its stability but its still freezing my system every few days.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Count yourself lucky, they sent me back a broken MB once, after saying they had fixed it, and then they did a total 180 and said that I'd damaged the board and that's why they hadn't fixed it.

No paperwork in the box explaining anything, just a plain white box with a MB in it :(

The board just suddenly stopped working so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have 'damaged' it but that was the last thing I ever bought from GB.

12. EXPERIMENTONGOD

EXPERIMENTONGOD New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 760 SC ACX
    Just wanted to drop my two cents:

I wouldn't touch a Gigabyte card with a 10 foot pole.

In January 2008, I bought a Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512MB (GV-NX88T512HP). From day 1 it crashed with several games, hard lock black screen (Deus Ex: Invisible War, World Of Warcraft, etc), turns out the problem was the factory OC (particularly shader OC). I had to manually downclock the card to make it stable and to top it off it died after a year and a half of use (within warranty, in Spain we get 2 years). Replaced with Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT, also died after less than 2 years of normal use.

Gigabyte is one of the cheapest Nvidia board partners... for a reason. Stay away.

13. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Nope, thats just your one off experience, does not apply to everyone.

I've been using Gigabyte for atleast 10 years now, all without issue, that is across mobos and graphics cards. In fact when I deviated and bought an ASUS for the wife, it would not report CPU temps, even had it sent away but they sent it back saying nothing wrong with it, despite recording 40C all the time.

In the past 2 years I've had a WF3 7950 OC that had zero problems apart from being AMD, and now a GTX 770 OC that is also without problem, prior to that was a 6950 OC that was also reliable and then a 4970.

In contrast to you, I wouldn't touch other partners with a 10 foot pole.

14. EXPERIMENTONGOD

EXPERIMENTONGOD New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 760 SC ACX
    That's why I said "just my two cents". And it was indeed 2 cards not one :p

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I told my uncle not to buy the Gigabyte 660GTX OC and i sure he regrets seeing the damn thing TDR with ever driver i threw at it. I mean he has RMA for but still

That and there RMA process is strange.

They accepeted the RMA and gave him a RMA # with out even asking for Proof of purchase/Date or purchase.

That and they want him to fill a forum with all the other parts in the PC

First RMA process i seen accepted with out a Proof of puchase/Data of purchase. Or is this indication of there quality like ther cards? lol

Then again Asus support is starange too I couldnt fill out a RMA request/support online for a Mobo cause they want me to fill out GPU model and serial number when my the gpu wasnt even from them they even want model and serial for sound card. And i was just trying to get rma/support for a Mobo.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

16. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    True, but then you made a statement as if it was fact, i.e. "Gigabyte is one of the cheapest Nvidia board partners... for a reason. Stay away."

I just wanted to give an opposite view.

17. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Have a Gigabyte 780Ti Windforce 3x OC.

Getting crashes every round of Battlefield 4. DirectX Error. Device Hung, etc etc.
    3DMark crashes too and artifacting on some tests (Sky dive, etc).

Gonna RMA the card and go for a different manufacturer.
    Very disappointed.

18. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    mines been fine

19. Dynastar

Dynastar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    Hey !

I have exactly this same model !

At first, this card needs 64 AMP so it's necessary to use at least a 850-900 Watts PSU.

(for exemple : A Corsair PSU TX-750 Watts cannot deliver more than 62 AMP, max !)

Secondary : i think the problem on this card comes from a too elevated turbo boost frequency.

The best way would consist to reflash the original bios and relimiting turbo boost frequency to 1200 max strict.

This card has been too exegerately overclocked by Gigabyte.

And for the end, despite a 3 fan system cooling, an accelero Extreme 3 fan cooling solution would be better than the original one used with this card as the same used for GTX 680 models from Gigabyte as well.

Just my personal thoughts but i don't think to be so wrong anyway.

best regards

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Err what?